Another Marathon goes down - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2009, 05:17 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Marathon Tires: In July 2007, we had a Marathon Radial St 175R - 13 inch tire develop seperation and created a bump under the thread when vacationing in Minot, ND. We went up a step in size by getting ST185/80R13 C Goodyear Marathon Radial (two tires & two new wheels). They have been better, not as over loaded looking. But as I was backing our Scamp into the Scamport, my wife noticed it was nearly flat, 20 psi. We had just finished a 2,360 mile trip from Minot via T. Roosevelt & Yellowstone Nat'l parks then out the east entrance to Cody to Thermopolis to Casper then on down to Las Cruces on I-25. Plus the 1,500 drive up to Minot.

Goodyear has stopped production of the ST185/80R13's. Discount Tires have ordered ST185/80R13 Greenball Towmasters the man claims, but when I was checking Greenball web site, they seem to only make ST185/80D13's. I see what gets here. But I am not very hopeful.

I hope a small 14" tire will fit my wheel wells. I want to try that now. Someone wrote me saying they had put 14" wheels & tires on a Scamp.

Another woooe is me tale, sorry! Life is good! We had a blast. Want to go again, soon. After I get some new rubber on the Egg. Sure hope my acking back will get a little better, it is still a pain (and I mean pain).

I envy you Casita guys & others who can put 15" wheels on. Ha! I really hope I can get 14" on our Scamp.

Not sure when, we need to head to California to be with my wife's mom, she is just getting out of the hospital with a new pace maker. She will be 90 yrs old in Sept. A car trip only this time.

Happy Travels Y'guys!

Kumos do not come in 13" sizes, so no use making the recomendations. Maybe with 14" wheels, I can do so.

Our Maratnhons got us home safely, good ole tires! We are blessed!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01000.JPG   DSC01001.JPG  

DSC01002.JPG  
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Adrian,
I had Discount Tire put the Towmasters on my 13 about 1.5 years and 8000+ miles ago and they still look good. Hope they can come up with what you need, as I remember your Minot ordeal....
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:41 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Marathon Tires: In July 2007, we had a Marathon Radial St 175R - 13 inch tire develop seperation and created a bump under the thread when vacationing in Minot, ND. We went up a step in size by getting ST185/80R13 C Goodyear Marathon Radial (two tires & two new wheels). They have been better, not as over loaded looking. But as I was backing our Scamp into the Scamport, my wife noticed it was nearly flat, 20 psi. We had just finished a 2,360 mile trip from Minot via T. Roosevelt & Yellowstone Nat'l parks then out the east entrance to Cody to Thermopolis to Casper then on down to Las Cruces on I-25. Plus the 1,500 drive up to Minot.

Goodyear has stopped production of the ST185/80R13's. Discount Tires have ordered ST185/80R13 Greenball Towmasters the man claims, but when I was checking Greenball web site, they seem to only make ST185/80D13's. I see what gets here. But I am not very hopeful.

I hope a small 14" tire will fit my wheel wells. I want to try that now. Someone wrote me saying they had put 14" wheels & tires on a Scamp.

Another woooe is me tale, [b]sorry! Life is good! We had a blast. Want to go again, soon. After I get some new rubber on the Egg. Sure hope my acking back will get a little better, it is still a pain (and I mean pain).

I envy you Casita guys & others who can put 15" wheels on. Ha! I really hope I can get 14" on our Scamp.

Not sure when, we need to head to California to be with my wife's mom, she is just getting out of the hospital with a new pace maker. She will be 90 yrs old in Sept. A car trip only this time.

Happy Travels Y'guys!

Kumos do not come in 13" sizes, so no use making the recomendations. Maybe with 14" wheels, I can do so.

Our Maratnhons got us home safely, good ole tires! We are blessed!
Adrian!
Adrian!

I'm not Rocky but do they still produce the 14" Marathon?
The standard on the 17 casita back when (and others I presume)

ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Kumho Radial 857 in size 185/R14 has an overall diameter of 25.6". Goodyear Marathon in size 185/80R13 has an overall diameter of 24.7". Will 0.9" be a clearance problem?

If you want to stay with 13" wheels, look at Maxxis M8008. I bought same from Unser Tire.

http://www.gripston.com/collections/maxxis...CFQIc5wodqCMhkw
Old 08-25-2009, 03:58 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Arrow

Thanks, Tom. But I went with what Discount Tires recommended, Greenball Transmaster ST185x80Rx13...made in China but it looked good. Wait and see is all I can do now.

Not sure if I should trust the other Marathon or should I get a matching tire for the other side?

The man at Discount Tires said to just go with the Marathon.

From my observations on the trip this summer, it seems more weight is on the curb side tire, the right side, than on the left or driver's side. I know I checked the air pressure on that one once while going up north this year. It was just at 50 psi. I checked the air in both after I could not dodge some road trash in MT on the way to yellowstone. Both had the same amount of psi.

I was just about to go to 14" rims or wheels, but then they found a 13" to match what I have. May still have to go to the 14" rims, but not this year it seems.

Someone on another forum said, "if Goodyear looked at the tires and what they were mounted on their reply would be that the "C" rated tire is too light to carry this trailer and I would have to agree with them." I am not sure about what or what not Goodyear might say, but they are what the Scamp Factory puts on their trailers, even the 19' 5th wheels, I believe. I sometimes think they might be too small for the loads they carry. This year I did not have anything on the rear carrier, not even the carrier. But we had lots of clothing, full water tank, food, soda, bottle water, etc. As far as I can discover, no one makes a 13" tire rated higher than "C" unless it is a bias tire, which maybe is what I need?

I just have to see how this Greenball stands-up to traveling.

Tom, I may regret my decision not to go ahead and go to 14" rims & tires. But.......
They did give me almost $40 for the Goodyear with tire wear. It was the less expensive way to go. Thanks, I believe you are right about the 14s fitting my trailer. That will be my next step, I believe.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote