Another year of CRAZY Scamp prices?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-10-2021, 12:44 PM   #1

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Another year of CRAZY Scamp prices??

Looks like an honest representation of the unit, but that is WAY MORE than it sold for new.
https://northernwi.craigslist.org/rv...288173045.html
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 11:01 AM   #2
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
crazy scamp prices

If that’s what it looks like after he did some work on it, it must have been pretty bad when he got it. considering he says it needs a new axel, I’d consider just a shell. If he gets $5,000 from someone who basically wants to start from scratch, that’s generous. Needs a door, windows, inside cabinets, stove, refrigerator, lining or some sort of wall covering. It’s a fiberglas shell and then there’s no guarantee that there isn’t water damage between the layers of the fiberglass and interior. Too bad, there are many 1976 Scamps who are ready to take out and use and enjoy. This one is going to need a lot of work to be livable.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 11:39 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
New York
Uummmmm. No.
Stevieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 09:57 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
By removing the closet by the door for a more spacious feel, he removed the support needed to keep the wall from bowing outwardly, which affects the door fitment and the roof support. l agree $5,000.00 for this trailer would be generous for the seller.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:35 AM   #5
MJo

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
By removing the closet by the door for a more spacious feel, he removed the support needed to keep the wall from bowing outwardly, which affects the door fitment and the roof support. l agree $5,000.00 for this trailer would be generous for the seller.
He says it needs and axel, Scamp will sell one for $2500, I’m not sure if that includes installation. Then there are the appliances, cabinets, etc., so say another $2-3000 for appliances, he would have close to $10,000 in repairs plus the $5000 he is asking. Prospective Buyers should look around for a used one. Too bad someone let this turn into junk. Scamps last “forever,” if taken care of, just even a little bit.
Old 03-14-2021, 10:47 AM   #6
MJo

Massachusetts
prices

Hate to “beat a dead horse,” (what an awful expression !!!) but a Scamp is a small space so it needs to have a certain ambiance, even just a clean, sanitary, “just for me” sort of feel to it. When it’s this raw and even dirty looking and also small, it’s difficult to imagine it appealing to someone. The prospective sellers need to look around and see what their competition is and then think about it. I don’t know, maybe there are parts that could be sold off of it. For those of us who love our Scamps, this just makes us sad.
Old 03-14-2021, 11:01 AM   #7
MJo

Massachusetts
prices

And in the Craigslist description, he described condition as “good.”
Old 03-14-2021, 01:04 PM   #8
MJo

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
Looks like an honest representation of the unit, but that is WAY MORE than it sold for new.
Do you think that was an “honest representation” when he described the condition as “good?” but of course, he may have seen worse, or maybe he just isn’t familiar with how they look new. I guess when he bought 2nd hand, he didn’t know how well they maintain their quality over the years.
Old 03-14-2021, 02:39 PM   #9

Wisconsin
Registry
$850 would be better

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJo View Post
Do you think that was an “honest representation” when he described the condition as “good?” but of course, he may have seen worse, or maybe he just isn’t familiar with how they look new. I guess when he bought 2nd hand, he didn’t know how well they maintain their quality over the years.
Salvage may have been a better choice, but it would sell faster with one less ZERO in the price.
Almost any Scamp that can be towed down the road is worth 1000$ but when people “make it their own” they often make it something that no one else wants.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:40 PM   #10

Trailer: 1990 13 ft Scamp / 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJo View Post
He says it needs and axel, Scamp will sell one for $2500, I’m not sure if that includes installation. Then there are the appliances, cabinets, etc., so say another $2-3000 for appliances, he would have close to $10,000 in repairs plus the $5000 he is asking. Prospective Buyers should look around for a used one. Too bad someone let this turn into junk. Scamps last “forever,” if taken care of, just even a little bit.
Don't know where you got that figure. An axle with no brakes is $310.
Conrad S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 02:02 PM   #11
MJo

Massachusetts
Crazy

With installation & Maybe taking out the old one. There was a post from a man in CA who said he was taking his Scamp to WI to get his axel replaced and said it was going to be $2500.
Old 03-21-2021, 12:51 PM   #12

Wisconsin
Registry
Add deleted, did it sell??

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
Any one here get it??
Attached Thumbnails
2021-03-11 22_33_33-Greenshot.png  
Old 03-21-2021, 01:14 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
This is an axle...

This is an Axel...

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 01:23 PM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
An axle has brakes, but if I tried to perform an axel, I just might break a leg...
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 05:19 PM   #15

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Ad is marked as SOLD over on the fiberglass RV 4 Sale site.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:22 PM   #16

Name: rj
Trailer: Owner of a 16' fixer Scamp and fixed up 13'
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
This is an axle...

This is an Axel...

Lest we forget. This also, this is an Axl.
funkgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:59 AM   #17

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Point well taken:
If I could perform an axel as well as that fellow can and get my big break, I could use my earnings to buy a Dexter axle with brakes. Thank you Miss McReynolds.

About three years ago I was attending a fur harvesters
National convention. A fellow with a couple “tailgater tables” had a nice Scamp he was camping in. I struck up a conversation. It was a 2002, 13 ft unit. He had purchased it from a guy whose wife had passed and he wasn’t going to camp any longer. The tailgater
(from Wisconsin) invited me to look at it. It was in like new shape. He had paid $1,800 for it. He said that as he was picking the trailer up and paying the previous owner, the phone rang 6 times with potential buyers. The previous owner started the conversation with “I want $1,800 and don’t try to talk me down.”
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:30 AM   #18

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Astounded

I am seeing prices on anything and everything now that astound me! Looked at houses or lack of listings of houses now?

Everything a sellers market! Even at the inflated prices on Scamps they are still a bargain against new and the long wait to get one!

I am thinking we aint seen nothing yet! I still cringe at the oil embargo and what that brought!

Oh for happy days again!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:42 AM   #19

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
I am seeing prices on anything and everything now that astound me! Looked at houses or lack of listings of houses now?

Everything a sellers market! !
Houses are up 25% since the pandemic started here. Used cars are up sharply. The Casita I sold before the pandemic was resold last month for 50% more.

Sold a used car this week. I increased the price 20% from pre-pandemic. Sold it in five minutes. Could have sold it 25 times. Left a lot of $$ on the table but buyer is happy and my wife is happy. As luck would have it, we have a house to sell later this year. It’s a second home we no longer need. Buyers are bidding over asking. Never happened here, ever!

So if you have something to sell, don’t wait. And life is short, so if you don’t have a camper, pay the premium and make priceless memories.

To below, I remodeled our home, started April 2020, finished August 2020. During that time, finding contractors to do any work was essentially impossible. Brought my floor guy out of retirement, to repair/refinish my 1930s heart pine floors. None of the current floor contractors in my area would touch that project. Too much money to be had laying new flooring, without all the headaches! Even the guy I got, I had to do much of the patch work myself (borrowed his tools). Every contractor is looking for help.

And yes, hard to make memories if you can't find a campsite!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:19 AM   #20
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Houses are up 25% since the pandemic started here. Used cars are up sharply. The Casita I sold before the pandemic was resold last month for 50% more.

Sold a used car this week. I increased the price 20% from pre-pandemic. Sold it in five minutes. Could have sold it 25 times. Left a lot of $$ on the table but buyer is happy and my wife is happy. As luck would have it, we have a house to sell later this year. It’s a second home we no longer need. Buyers are bidding over asking. Never happened here, ever!

So if you have something to sell, don’t wait. And life is short, so if you don’t have a camper, pay the premium and make priceless memories.

Of course once you've got the camper, you still have to find a campsite, which could be a bigger challenge.

Last fall I noticed my ridge vent was coming loose. I contacted atleast a dozen roofers. Of the few that responded, none were interested. Turns out everyone wants to live in Vermont. Lots of houses bought last summer and they all need new roofs. In the end I fixed it myself. We're currently in mud season. I hope they are all enjoying it.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp