any avid hunters use there trailers here - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-04-2010, 07:11 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
any avid hunters use there trailers here

i am a bird hunter and bring 2 german shorthairs and 1 english pointer on our trips to kansas, oklahoma, newmexico, tx. anyone else
KellyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:12 AM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyT
i am a bird hunter and bring 2 german shorthairs and 1 english pointer on our trips to kansas, oklahoma, newmexico, tx. anyone else
We don't actually hunt but our Rhodesian Ridgebacks do hunt-trial. Every trial day has always started after a night (or more) in the trailer. Nowhere near you however ... PA & MI mainly.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #3

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
We have done early deer season, muzzle loader. We use it turkey and squirrel hunting when the weather is not so cold. The camp grounds close early here and where hunt sometimes is hard to get in and out once it snows. My husband took the camper hunting once without me. I was not allowed to even look in it until he cleaned it so I told him he needs to find a man camper, one that I am not allowed to touch.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
Yes that's what my 17' Bigfoot has turned into. However it is not the 4-season so I'm now starting to look at trading it across for a 17' with the winter package. If my wife even thought I had considered using the 25' Bigfoot for hunting I expect I'd end up living in the 17'!
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:37 PM   #5

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
We lived in Montana last year where all the guys were living in campers with artic bottoms not to hunt but so they could work in the oil fields.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie

YUP-- that's the reason I bought ours in the first place, I was getting too old to sleep in a tent. Then the vacation stuff came into play....
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:36 AM   #7

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Larry, I also came to hard shell camping because tent hunting is too tough. I liked tent camping, but I was hunting and there wasn't enought time after hunting 2 -3 times a day, to operate a tent camp.
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #8

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft
Hunting is the main reason I bought my 21' Bigfoot. For the last two years, I leave Texas and drive to Montana. I meet some others there. We bird hunt across Montana from East to West. Then we move over to Idaho to hunt chuckars, quail and hungarian partridge. After a couple of weeks, we go back to Montana for pheasant season. In all I spend 7 or 8 weeks in the great white north. After I return to Texas I make a short week or two trip to Kansas for some more pheasant hunting. The weather can get awful cold either in Montana or Kansas. I stay cozy in my bigfoot which has the winter package. Some of the places we stay can be considered boondocking. I'm the only one with a fiberglass trailer. The other guys have a mix from pop-up tent campers to big 5th wheelers.
Jim Sinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:33 PM   #9

How was the pheasant hunting in Montana this year and which part of Montana do you hunt? I'm going down to the Conrad area next week to try the pheasant.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:26 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
A business partner and I spent about 10 years cooking at a hunting camp about 2 miles from Old Mexico. I concocted the RoadHippo to get me into rough areas while having some creature comforts for these aging bones. The Casita / FUSO combination works great.
You can see the Casita in the background of this typical early morning scene of Jack making biscuits.

HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:00 PM   #11

We don't go as far west as Conrad. We start around Plentywood in extreme northeast Montana. We hunt the highline one might say. We go west to Havre, then go to Western Idaho for a few weeks of chuckar hunting. We hunt the Block Mgmt areas.
Last year was not very good for pheasants. Based on early hunting, this year should be much better. The only problem is there are too many hunters when pheasant season opens. Should be better now. If you are serious about pheasants, go to North Dakota. 1000 times as many pheasants as you will ever find in Montana. I think that a lot of the Montana birds are planted by the state.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:34 AM   #12

Jim,

That's quite the rig you have in the background. Thanks for the info. If I decide to hunt Idaho I'll get in contact with you again.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #13

Not my post, I think you are referring to HerseyPA's post. He has the Casita / FUSO combination. He calls it the RoadHippo. Pretty cool rig.
I have a Bigfoot 21 which I quite like.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:29 PM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
jim your living my dream. what kind of dogs you running. you must be retired
KellyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:36 PM   #15

Yes I am retired. I only have one dog. He's a Ryman type English Setter. Some of the guys I meet up north run 7 or as many as 10 dogs. All I need is one. By the time he is tired and worn down, so am I. LOL. That being said, the guy with 7 setters had all his on the disabled list while me and my one dog were still going strong. I believe in pacing oneself. The heat being what it is in Texas, I can't work my dog in the summer. Therefore we have to hunt ourselves into shape.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:59 PM   #16

Name: Ken
Trailer: 19' Scamp
Nebraska
I have a 13' Scamp, the intentions are basically to put it in the deer pasture for a season at a time and use if for base camp sort of thing.

So far that really hasn't worked out as I want to do a few mods to it first.
Earl E. November is offline   Reply With Quote