Any drawbacks to buying a fiberglass trailer? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-07-2009, 05:01 PM   #21

Trailer: 1991 Burro 17 ft
Thanks again everyone. You guys are such a nice helpful bunch here how could I not want to join the group.

Penny/Mike, our popup camper was a spur of the moment purchase (like most things are with me ) though it got us out of the house camping again so I can't complain. We're looking for a hard sided trailer for exact reasons you mentioned and we're definitely *not* hell-bent on getting one with a few luxury items like air/heat either.

I did send off an email to Tammy at Escape and I received a prompt reply back but quite frankly we're on the fence about taking on another large purchase this year - we recently purchased our Honda Ridgeline. So we're looking for one in the used market but I'm sure it's going to take a while for something to pop up. There don't seem to be very many advertised compared to the regular TT. On a positive note I certainly don't mind the drive should one pops up in one of the neighboring states.
Russell, H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:22 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19 ft
Hey Russell,

We are ex-zipper flippers who made the jump to Fibreglass. Our first unit was a 13' 74 Boler, and it was a great step, but for a family of 4, we found that it was a little to small. Especially on the rainy days when you stay inside. So we looked around on who and what to upgrade to, we looked at Casita, Trillium, Bigfoot, Escape, and such. After meeting a couple with a 17' Escape, and reviewing these forums we decided on the going ahead with a new Escape unit. We had planned on a 17', but Tammy "convinced" us to upgrade to the 19'. Honestly, we love it.
Some specifics:
-- 2009 19' Escape dry weight: 2510 pounds.
-- TV: 2003 Honda Odyssey

We loaded up in Chilliwack, and pulled it full of water, gear and family all the way to Jasper, and there are some really good hills on that path. We were concerned about how the van would do, and what our mileage would be. We tracked it, and it only impacted our mileage by 1/3 while in the mountains, and in the flats no real difference. Our experience with Tammy and Rease was probably the most positive experience I've ever had making a purchase. They are so concerned with quality of their product and with your satisfaction. I think our orientation was like 3 hours long with Tammy and Rease.

I can't think of any downsides, I'm 6ft and have no issues with hight or space. I say go for it! You won't regret it!

G
Geoff Spero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:41 AM   #23

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Hi Russell, H

Here's my .02 worth

There aren't many downsides, with the exception of initial cost and storage ( depending on your property situation) I guess, but the experiences you'll have will balance it out. As you pointed out at least you're outdoors again.

You may find that although amenities like a a MW, AC or WC aren't on your list now it may be because you haven't had an opportunity to use/enjoy them...once bitten...watch out!

A big upside is the hard side of the fiberglass trailer. That offers security from animals and crooks and of course, no wet teardowns when breaking camp in bad weather.

I might take a pounding for saying this but I would recommend buying the largest fiberglass unit you can afford, because you will eventually want just a little more room the more you use it and like it and the bigger your family gets. I guess I mean plan ahead for expansion. Even the biggest ones are easy to tow, and maneuver into most any available campsite or small road. Nothing ( well almost nothing )......( ok, it's in the top 10 ) beats a table to sit at w/coffee in the morning without disturbing your other half or the kids...by the way, the reverse is also true here!

As for fuel vs. mileage ...forget trying to rationalize trailer size or style based on that...it's a cost of doing business no matter what you tow.

Happy trails...
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:50 AM   #24

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Hi Russell, H

Here's my .02 worth

There aren't many downsides, with the exception of initial cost and storage ( depending on your property situation) I guess, but the experiences you'll have will balance it out. As you pointed out at least you're outdoors again.

You may find that although amenities like a a MW, AC or WC aren't on your list now it may be because you haven't had an opportunity to use/enjoy them...once bitten...watch out!

A big upside is the hard side of the fiberglass trailer. That offers security from animals and crooks and of course, no wet teardowns when breaking camp in bad weather.

I might take a pounding for saying this but I would recommend buying the largest fiberglass unit you can afford, because you will eventually want just a little more room the more you use it and like it and the bigger your family gets. I guess I mean plan ahead for expansion. Even the biggest ones are easy to tow, and maneuver into most any available campsite or small road. Nothing ( well almost nothing )......( ok, it's in the top 10 ) beats a table to sit at w/coffee in the morning without disturbing your other half or the kids...by the way, the reverse is also true here!

As for fuel vs. mileage ...forget trying to rationalize trailer size or style based on that...it's a cost of doing business no matter what you tow.

Happy trails...
OK, not sure if I'm posting this right, kind of confusing for a first time login! I read a lot of comments here about having enough space in a TT, but I was kind of under the assumption that if you are downsizing from a permanent home to live in a TT, I would think that eliminating "stuff" is a natural part of the plan. I'm a single guy looking to buy a TT in the next year or two and doing PT work for the Parks and I'm thinking of about an 18' - 25'er and that seems pretty adequate to me. I don't plan on having anything that is "decorative" - just living essentials, so I'm not sure why everyone talks about extra space and storage. Am I missing something since I've never actually lived this way before?
Brian A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:24 PM   #25

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Brian, I would suggest posting your questions as to Full timing in a egg in a separate post. That way the people who full time in an egg would be able to jump in and help you. Personally for me, I don't think I could! But there are those who do! As far as the posts suggesting larger for storage space, even weekend campers need storage to stow away all the stuff we take with us for our weekend get aways. With a family of 4 the clothes alone for a weekend need to be put away somewhere, as do pots pans, food, etc. So that's what those post refer to. Even the essinatials take up space. For us (ok me) I know I take tooooooooo much stuff even for just a few short days. But I am of the theroy I would rather have toooooooooo much than not enough. Just me! But some of the larger egg's have more storage areas than even the 17footers. I know the Bigfoot we looked at, had way more storage areas than the Casita we bought. That's why people suggest larger for a growing family. Can four people get in our Casita? Sure but we wouldn't be moving around much less comfortable. So yes larger for their camping situation would be better. For you a single, you may find even a 13 footer meets you needs. Again, post a topic as to you questions about full timing in a egg and you will get lots of great suggestions. Best of Luck! Robin

There is also a forum topic that you might find helpful.......... Fulltiming in a molded travel trailer.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:50 PM   #26

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
Once you've read all the opinions you will just have to buy two! We started with a 13 Boler to which I attached a portable outside shower and toilet. We then moved up to a 17' Boler because of the inside toilet, hot water and fridge. Then it was a sideways move, because of opportunity to a 17' Bigfoot. My wife kept complaining about having to fold up the bed each day. So we bought a 25' Bigfoot BUT we kept the 17' Bigfoot. There are places in the foothills around Calgary that I could not get into with the 25' and the 17' works well for my weekend hunting trips. Now my wife says the 25' will last us for some time but it is not our last trialer. She wants all the room of one of those 5-wheel with all the slideouts! I expect we may have to look for a 30' Bigfoot with the slideout someday! The downside of a fiberglass trailer, as I see it, has been somewhat mentioned. That is the cost of a new one versus buying an older one and spending some amount of time fixing it up.
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:05 PM   #27

Trailer: Boler 1984
You'll never have to camp alone. Other campers will congregate around yours so that they can get a closer look. I hope you like meeting people because it's an attention getter. We've even had somone ask for a tour while checking into a campground. People will knock at your door, at home, to ask about "that cute little thing in your driveway". If you get an older model you'll very soon be bitten by the "Lets Change This" bug. AND Somewhere along the line you'll get "Two Foot Itis" and want to upgrade and then comes decision time. You'll just have to go to rallys so you can meet even more people who have been bitten by the same bug.
By the way... The trailers packed and we're off to the Ontario gathering at Emily Provincial Park to visit with about a hundred or so others. We leave in the morning. Just gotta get my FG fix.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #28

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
.... and I'm thinking of about an 18' - 25'er and that seems pretty adiquate to me. I don't plan on having anything that is "decorative" - just living essentials, so I'm not sure why everyone talks about extra space and storage. Am I missing something since I've never actually lived this way before?
Part of your confusion Brian might be this site and what molded lightweight fiberglass towables are all about. The VAST majority of these trailers are 13 footers. So, when we talk about space and storage and maybe buying a larger trailer... the choices only go up to 25 feet and none have slides, etc.

It's all relative. There's a HUGE difference to be found in a couple of feet (as far as we're concerned)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:05 PM   #29

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Yep, a couple of feet make a huge difference. I was just watching the Escape Trailer video that was posted in another thread and I was amazed at how much more space the 17' has over my 13' plus all the nifty features.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:21 PM   #30

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Hi Russell, H

Here's my .02 worth

Happy trails...
Don't take this as a pounding or anything , but we have owned several fiberglass trailers for use and for rehab, our 2004 Scamp 13 deluxe now has over 5 years, 40000 miles and a couple hundred nights of use.
We plan to use it as long as we are able. When will I start wanting a larger trailer?
My experience is that teens would rather have separate quarters like a tent or the back of the van anyway. Besides that resale thing works both ways, so you can always sell and rebuy when your needs change. Follow us through the drive up sometime
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:37 PM   #31

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Don't take this as a pounding or anything , but we have owned several fiberglass trailers for use and for rehab, our 2004 Scamp 13 deluxe now has over 5 years, 40000 miles and a couple hundred nights of use.
We plan to use it as long as we are able. When will I start wanting a larger trailer?
My experience is that teens would rather have separate quarters like a tent or the back of the van anyway. Besides that resale thing works both ways, so you can always sell and rebuy when your needs change. Follow us through the drive up sometime
We own a 19' Scamp 5er and have bought smaller second "project" trailer, a 14.5' Surfside, so the "bigger is better" mentality does not always hold.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:01 PM   #32

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
Drawbacks of a fiberglass rv--none!
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:48 AM   #33

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
We own a 19' Scamp 5er and have bought smaller second "project" trailer, a 14.5' Surfside, so the "bigger is better" mentality does not always hold.
No fair Peter! Having two trailers gives you a choice. Sorta like have two motor vehicles. A sports car or a truck. Depends on what you're going to do. I bet you end up using the 5th wheel for longer duration trips and the Surfside for those quick close by get aways. Keep track and let us know how close I came with this opinion.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:38 PM   #34

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
The biggest drawback with owning a fiberglass TT is having strangers offering to buy it, or wanting a peek inside while your stopped somewhere to get gas. I've never seen anything like the response I get when I pull in somewhere like a restaurant. There's bound to be somebody who'll come up to me asking about my "cute trailer". I'm flattered, but sometimes I wish I could sell tickets and give guided tours. At the annual Ham Radio Field Day, I have heard the phrase "It's a lot bigger inside than out", at least once.

These are GREAT Trailers, and a FANTASTIC Ice Breaker.
ConwayBob
Old 07-20-2009, 05:38 PM   #35

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Arrow

Major drawback would be once you have one you will be kicking yourself for not having gotten one sooner.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:30 PM   #36

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
At the annual Ham Radio Field Day, I have heard the phrase "It's a lot bigger inside than out", at least once.
ConwayBob

I was dumbfounded the first time I heard someone say that! I didn't even want to try and explain to them that, that was impossible. LOL...............
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:06 AM   #37

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Quote:
I was dumbfounded the first time I heard someone say that! I didn't even want to try and explain to them that, that was impossible. LOL...............
...yeah, and if your showing the trailer to a couple, the phrase is usually followed with a nudge to the ribs one to the other with "We gotta get one of these..."
Old 07-21-2009, 01:32 PM   #38

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
**The biggest drawback with owning a fiberglass TT is having strangers offering to buy it**

That is true!! My buddy Earl picked up his new 5'er from Backus, drove it home... and then back to work..

He came home from work a couple of weeks later and found a note on his front door asking if the trailer was for sale!

It happens.

Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:31 PM   #39

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Oh, yeah, a whole lotta love out there for our FGRVs!

I LOVE our furnace, as we live up north and camp April to October, so it's nice and cozy inside after canoeing/fishing/hiking in the cold wind and rain.

I WISH our Boler had a shower in the lav, but heating water on the propane stove and pouring it into a big old Tupperware container works too, and is more, ah, leisurely.

We bought a very inexpensive 30-year-old Boler that needs, on average, $800 every other season for maintenance/upgrades. It's nice to "spread out the payment" but it is disconcerting -- at first -- not to know EXACTLY what will break down while wilderness camping.

During our last camp-out ALMOST nothing worked, which is where your experience with a pop-up or tent will come in handy. Electric pump doesn't work on the inside sink/faucet? Gravity is your friend, and there is a handy bumper for your water jug. Fridge on the fritz? That's OK, if you brought a cooler and a block of ice or two. No electric lights? That's what the lantern is for, and so forth.

What ALWAYS works is the hard shell -- keeping you out of the elements, keeping the bears (or two-legged varmints) away, at bay, and safe for your sleeping family, for yourself, all buttoned up.

Char

CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:02 PM   #40

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
The thing about 2-footitis is that if you fix the 13 foot one up enough, you might be able to flip it to pay for the larger one. We did, although if you weigh out what we put into the Burro to fix it up, I doubt that we made money, probably lost. Certainly, if you add up what we put into the UHaul, we did. However, it is not a decision we regret.

I do have to say that we get fewer people commenting and less attention in the larger camper, but that is not all that bad either.

CindyL