Any drawbacks to buying a fiberglass trailer? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2009, 11:33 AM   #41

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
I'm naturally biased, but in comparison of other RV's I see so many plus'es with going 'glass that to me, it's almost a no-brainer.

If you have a buttload of money and don't care a whit about depreciation, a motorized RV is the way to go for ostentation, luxury and supreme comfort. Those bulge-mobiles sure are nice, but I just can't get into the logic of purchasing a additional motor, transmission, and the servicing of both, as well as tying yourself up into a take-it-all-with-you-all-the-time turtle-shell existence. Even if you only take your big ol'RV out to park it in the infields of NASCAR races, you still wind up with a low-mileage traveling money-pit that'll NEVER give you a decent return on your investment.

A towed travel trailer is the most popular choice of any type of RV, offering as good luxury, and the convienence of not haveing to take everything with you everywhere. But depending on the brand or design, depreciation and return on investment can play weigh heavily.

'Glass trailers in turn, offers relief in that both depreciation tends to be much less, and with the demand seemingly never-ending, you'll find your ROI at it's best. Demand for older 'glass trailers, regardless of make or model, far outpaces simularly equipped & aged standard TT's.

Besides...they're just so darn cute...

ConwayBob
Old 07-24-2009, 11:13 PM   #42

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft Gaucho
We upgraded from a 17' Casita to a 17' Bigfoot -- actually 17.5 feet. Reason: BF is 1 foot wider than Casita 17' and gave us the floor space we need to navigate around our 2 large dogs at night. And now we have a sofa for snoozing on in the daytime. This was just the right move for us. The difference in space is quite remarkable.

Regarding the "cute factor," I don't believe Bigfoot has it; whereas scamp, casita, burro, trillium all do. No one stops us at restaurants and gas stations any more asking to take a peek inside. So many did with the casita, I "sold" 4 of them in 2 years (having folks purchase new from the factory after touring my trailer). Possibly in part because of the lack of the "egg shape" in BF (curved sides vs squared sides).

As for the cost factor of BF vs scamp and casita -- you can find a bargain in used trailers if you're persistent and willing to wait. We did!
Ericpa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:46 AM   #43

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Russell,H... The biggest single drawback to owning a fiberglass TT, is IMHO being "on display" everywhere you go!!! We just returned from a 6000km. trip to the Maritimes and first night out before my foot hit the ground we had "lookers". We moved up from a '77 Boler to an '07 Escape 5.0 5th. wh. so the cute factor shifted. Now all those bulgemobile owners with the diesel dually tugs "just have to have a look". To them "It's Cute". Did I mention we averaged 18.5 MPG for the trip!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:03 AM   #44

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Here we are in Plymouth, MA (and I might add that we saw NO fiberglass trailers on our trip yet! Where is everyone out here in the east?!). We barely set up when we had a family of lookers that included their dog and bunny.

CindyL
Old 07-30-2009, 09:26 PM   #45

Trailer: 1991 Burro 17 ft

Thanks everyone!! for all your input and insight. We're now owners of a 17' Burro: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...c=36597&hl=
Russell, H is offline   Reply With Quote