Any Good Sam members here? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #41

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Good Sam services are like anything else... some will like them and feel they provide good value, some won't. Some like to shop at store A and some at store B. I'm thankful that we have choices, and freedom to exercise our preferences.

Personally I can't see any point in ERS, although if I had a moho and were on the road with it all the time I might feel differently. A trailer is a little easier to deal with (can unhook and drive off if need be), and usually the most common problem is a flat tire (that's what that big round thing on the bumper is for). But I did just send in for membership... between the night of free camping and the discounts I should come out ahead this year. Too bad about the magazine going to a quarterly, it's sort of fun to look at it.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #42

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Mike,
I think the key to Good Sam's being a favorite for many of us is that both the TV and the trailer are covered, and both will be towed if we experience a problem with one, if necessary. I'd hate to leave my trailer at the side of the lonely highway if the truck had a problem... And, the price to provide ERS for all our vehicles, plus the trailer, was about the same as our previous ERS with AAA.We don't get emails from Good Sam's, but we still get a lot of junk snail mail from them, unfortunately. At least we have paper recycling in our community .
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #43

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Too bad about the magazine going to a quarterly, it's sort of fun to look at it.
I did not know this. When will this start?

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #44

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
i am with sherry 100%. it's all about NOT having to leave the trailer behind. like i said earlier, for us, when our 3 boys were home, they were also covered for no additional cost. with us travelling annually to florida from new brunswick, the peace of mind in knowing that we were covered was priceless. the funny thing---the 3 times we've needed to have one car or the other towed, we've been at home! i do not have membership in the camping club, nor do i purchase their insurance. but roadside assistance, for us, at $112 this year, allows me to travel PLUS sleep peacefully. and that is worth every penny.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:30 AM   #45

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...Good Sam membership is "Good"...if you can put up with the junk mail and render out the Spam. I could tell you a tale about my Niece and her MoHo tow but I can't type that much. Long story short she loves Good Sam!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:00 AM   #46

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
aside from an ad from camping world in my inbox, i don't get any other junk mail. maybe i am not on the mailing list for the spam/junk mail others are getting, but one camping world ad doesn't bother me. i simply click on delete.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #47

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
With regard to Good Sam Club: I am not a member but I have an overall favorable impression of them. I seldom stay at private camp grounds but if I did it is easy to figure the discounts would more than pay for the membership fee. Also it sounds like the road service is pretty good if somewhat expensive. My advice is to have some kind of emergency road service if you are pulling a trailer. A wrecker call would be pretty expensive without it.

My insurance company is Missouri Farm Bureau. I have an ERS endorsement on my auto policy, THAT COSTS $10 PER YEAR, which covers my trailer because it is also insured.

The full coverage policy on my 2010 F-150 with $500 deductable collision and $250 deductable comp with the ERS is $512.18 per year. It is good coast to coast.

The full coverage (up to NADA value) on my Bigfoot trailer is $131.48 per year with $500 deductable on both collision and comp. The NADA value of the trailer is about 60% of the actual market value so I am carrying the remaining 40% myself.

I also have a full coverage policy with liability, comp and collision on my Polaris 850 ATV. That costs $189.96 per year. I have had no claims but they raised that one $40 with this renewal.

With regard to Camper World: I have a very favorable impression of them. I "joined" the "President's Club" in Colorado Springs when I had to purchase a new WD hitch. I had shopped around all over town and they had the best deal. The discount with the club membership way more than paid for the membership. Yes, much of their merchandise is priced at full retail but it is all there in one location and you don't have to spend money and time running around trying to find a better price. That is worth quite a bit.

They built a new location within two miles of my house here at Strafford, MO. I can see their sign out the window. This one does not have overnight parking simply because their lot is full of RVs for sale.

Camper World is an honest enterprise.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #48

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Dave, I recently joined BCAA for two reasons - one most of the campgrounds that give discounts to Good Sam members also give the same discount to BCAA or AAAA members. Proved that out last month through 5 states.

Also BCAA will give you all the road maps etc you want/need prior.

The road side assistance is good in the USA and you can also for a fee add to your membership the road side assistance for your trailer - ie if the tow brakes down they will also tow the trailer away and not leave it sitting on the side of the road.

Yup Camping World is to be avoided at all costs ;-))) In my case only because I often come out with something I really didint need - kind of like going to Costco! I actually wait until I am heading south to pick up any big ticket RV items I need in Oregon - tax free and for example I paid less than half the cost for a Fantastic Fan at Camping World than what was being asked at all the RV dealers here in the Lower Mainland at the time. It all comes down to what item you are after as to whether or not Camping World is the best option
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #49

Name: richie
Trailer: Casita patriot deluxe (sold)
Virginia
I've been a life time member of GS for many years--IF you DON"T like the junk mail Call them ask them to stop it---should NOT be a problem-I do have the discount card(presidents card) but rarely use it---but have saved some when i do.
sparky1 in s-Va.
2000 Casita Patriot Deluxe.
sparky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:16 PM   #50

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
thats a shame, goodsam sounds on the serfice to be a great idea, but when tied like that to a retailer??? no thanks. i'll stick with asking real people , like you find here , for advice and shop at my local mom and pop rv dealer. they like the business and will order anything i need that they don't have on hand.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:58 PM   #51

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 16' Oak Deluxe Layout A - "Kiwi"
Maryland
Based on lots of reviews/comments on this site and others, I decided to get Good Sam ERS. I have been a AAA member for years and the service has been great, but now since we have our first camper trailer, I wanted the coverage and support Good Sam ERS Platinum provides. I paid for 3 years up front and to a $ 99/year rate and I was told the first month, it's fully refundable and any time after that if I cancel, I will get a pro-rated refund. So I figured there was no gamble there. We just renewed our AAA coverage in February, and when I called AAA to cancel was told they don't give refunds. I've never heard of an insurance company not refunding the unused portion of your membership. That was $ 193 for a year. They basically said it's cancelled effective 2/1/16 and we can use the service but no refund. I'm still going to keep the Good Sam membership, but just an FYI (and venting a little bit, too).
mgellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:17 PM   #52

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Contact the BBB as well as the Maryland Consumer Protection Bureau, you should get a pro-rata refund. If via cc contact them for a reversal.
Old 05-07-2015, 03:27 PM   #53

Maryland
Thanks for the suggestion. I couldn't find the terms of their contract. I assume they can have whatever terms they want as they're not an insurance company, but I'll look into it further based on your suggestions.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:05 PM   #54

Maryland
I finally found the terms for cancellation on line:
Membership Refund Policy For Renewing Memberships and New Memberships after First 3 Months of Membership:
Membership dues payments including renewals, upgrades and added associate members will not be refunded once applied to your membership; however, your Membership will remain in force until it expires