any guesses? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Temperature rise from almost freezing
15 mins 6 14.29%
1/2 hour 14 33.33%
45 mins 13 30.95%
1 hour 4 9.52%
2 hours 2 4.76%
4 hours 1 2.38%
somewhere in between 1 and 4 hours (Chicken!) 1 2.38%
You're gonna die of hypothermia waiting 1 2.38%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-19-2008, 08:46 PM   #21

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
Quote:
I didn't even see this until now. And I guessed wrong too...
After one hour will be 70 in the upper area and 35 at the floor. These plastic ice cubes require thermo boots.
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:49 PM   #22

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I actually have the area that is traditionally made into a bedroom as the "living" area. It is in the back and the last to get the heat.

I use the front dinette/gaucho area as my bed. It IS closer to the heater, but I rarely run the furnace at night unless I have full hook ups. It consumes much power. Good bedding keeps my warm and happy, for the most part. I may run it at a low setting (45 or so) to keep things from freezing inside. That limits it's on time to a manageable power consumption.

My future plans are to first install a Wave 6 heater where the furnace is now, on a hinge so I can use the space behind as storage, And I have considered a Wave 3 near the back. That will involve removing the converter I never use as a converter and rebuilding the distribution panel and fuses to another spot. I do not use that area as a bed, but a future owner may want to and the heater in that spot would be a danger if the bed was down. Something to consider, for sure. Another for sure... it's a very ambitious endeavor.

The previous owner had a curtain up across the back, as you have suggested. He used the dinette in the front.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:13 PM   #23

Trailer: 17 ft Bigfoot
Well, I have to wonder how long the heat up would have taken if you had not kept opening it to check the temperature.
I missed in my guess by so much it is not in self defense.
Donna & Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:02 PM   #24

Trailer: 17 ft Oliver Legacy Elite
Send a message via Yahoo to Chuck-H
Talking

. Gina,
Hard to believe that your furnace takes THAT long. My little cube heater (600W) warms my 17 Liberty to 70 in 10 min or less and the heat strip will do it in 20 min max!!!!
Chuck
Chuck-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:05 PM   #25

Registry
my cube heater works pretty fast too, but I currently have power issues at my house and didn't think it wise to run the trailer off an extension cord at the moment. Charging and low draw is OK, but I am about 40 feet from the house.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:36 AM   #26

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
At the risk of overanalyzing, I have come to at least one tentative conclusion: the double-wall insulated setup that both Gina and I have in common is a good one, but I would not assume that it is necessarily better insulated than a Scamp, Casita, et al.

I do think it operates in a slightly different manner: the rat fur, or whatever, has very little mass that must be heated up or cooled down before the insulation does its thing (insulation is essentially part of the surface). In our double-insulated setup the whole inside shell must be heated up in order to reach equilibrium. Lots more stuff to absorb heat and suck out of the air.

It seems to me that it changes the warm-up and cool-down time to some extent, in that it may take somewhat longer to heat up. The up-side is that it may take longer to cool down too, so the temperature may stay a smidgen more even. The rat fur probably allows the trailer to heat up quickly but also allows it to cool down quicker. Confirm or deny?

Anecdotally this works for me: since my wife was on call the other night I slept in the trailer. Turned on the electric heat an hour before bedtime (5000BTU, fan-forced, permanently installed and thermostat-controlled). Brought it up from below freezing to 61 degrees in less than an hour and kept it toasty all night at about 68 degrees even with a window cracked open. It's been relatively cold here.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:08 AM   #27

Trailer: 1993 Casita
Gina,
I hope that you can even find your trailer today We are buried in snow up at my level! Yes, using your cube heater would be a very bad idea at this time
Bob

Listen to my music here:
https://www.reverbnation.com/bobstarr...eader_icon_nav
Bob Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:18 AM   #28

Registry
Yes, I have heard

I am currently down the hill.. and the coast. I am SOOOO looking forward to coming up the hill today... NOT.

I am supposed to leave for AZ saturday.. I am thinking that plan has changed a little.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:39 AM   #29

Trailer: 1993 Casita
Quote:
Yes, I have heard

I am currently down the hill.. and the coast. I am SOOOO looking forward to coming up the hill today... NOT.

I am supposed to leave for AZ saturday.. I am thinking that plan has changed a little.
You just be careful! Chain control from Waterman up right now. Is your Jeep 4WDR?
Bob

Listen to my music here:
https://www.reverbnation.com/bobstarr...eader_icon_nav
Bob Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:06 PM   #30

Registry
No, I am chained and it does well that way. I have those easy Diamond Link chains. Annoys the chain putter onner guys at the checkpoint. I can chain both wheels faster than they can untangle one traditional chain... I made it home with very little effort.

Getting back out is another story. I am a little stuck at the moment. Trailer is under a 2-3 foot drift, and the plow has not seen fit to come down the street yet.

Not that I would tow in this anyway. Oh well...