Anybody else go without AC? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-13-2016, 08:58 AM   #21

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I ve had a scamp & perris pacer neither had ac.... Both had a roof vent w/ fan built into them
With a side window or two opened and roof fan running we never needed ac .... And we live and camp in southern calif

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:47 AM   #22

Name: Bobby
Trailer: Trillium 4500, Casita f/d ,1987 boler voyageur,1988bigfoot5er
Ontario
It is not the hot weather that is a concern for me.I would much rather leave the windows open and let the breeze roll through.
The problem is sometimes the camper beside me leaves a nice smoky, smouldering fire going all night and I don't like waking up smelling like bacon!!
It is also an asthma problem.
Can't wait until there is no campfire allowed areas in campgrounds then I can do without a/c.

Bobby
2008 Casita f/d-----1988 Bigfoot 5er---1987 Boler
Bobby Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:05 AM   #23

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
But then we don't have campers so that we'll suffer...we have them to be comfortable. But everyone has a different idea of how comfortable they want to be.
In the Deep South comfort to me is A/C and a soft bed. I have "roughed it" my share in this life and intend not to if I can avoid it.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:35 AM   #24

Name: Henry
Trailer: Intend to buy one day.
Florida
"So...a lot just depends on what you're willing to put up with. I mean people survived all this time, up until very recently, without AC."

True observation! Does anyone remember the speech by President Nixon around 1972 where he made reference to how air conditioning had just in recently become "a necessity"? He was born and grew up in a time where air conditioning was limited to only big buildings and the rich. Now? Well.... :--)
Henry Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:49 AM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I can barely stand the heat of a Minnesota / Wisconsin Summer.
I have the deepest admiration for people who can live through the summer heat of Florida ,Texas , Missouri or Iowa ( ETC. )
When nightime temps are in the 70's or above ,a fan just doesn't do it for me.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:52 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
As others have said, it depends on when & where you camp, and your tolerance for heat & humidity. I have one in my Escape, and it probably has fewer that 40 running hours on it over the last 5 years. Still, the few times I've used it I would have been miserable with the combination of over 100°F & high humidity. Without the humidity, I'm comfortable using the MaxxFan even in high temperatures, but the combination is a killer!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:03 PM   #27

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
In the Deep South comfort to me is A/C and a soft bed. I have "roughed it" my share in this life and intend not to if I can avoid it.
Yep. I like to think of myself as pretty tough and pretty willing to put up with any kind of weather. But my guess is that I wouldn't last long in your climate without AC.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:09 PM   #28

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Missus and I, have been RV camping, every summer, since about 1966, through a range of nine different RVs, in every province (including NFLD), and almost all continental states (including Alaska, Florida, California, Washington, and Maine). As a result, our kids were exposed to most 'geographies' of N. America, as they grew up. Four of those nine rigs had AC; but, we've never 'used' AC for any camping. Our current 'rig' is the smallest; but, not the 'oldest'; and, the 'missus' and I still don't feel the need for 'camping' with AC. - - YMMV - and, ours might too !
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:25 PM   #29

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Some like it hot...I don't.

My travel trailer has an A/C...I bought a 3,100 watt Champion Inverter generator new for $750 for when I boondock.

Camping in high heat and humidity is painful without A/C.
My motto..."If it isn't fun I don't do it"
Camping with A/C in heat and humidity is fun....being uncomfortable is not fun.

If you like high heat and humidity then you'll love cooking in your camper without A/C.....if your wife likes A/C and hates the heat and humidity then go get A/C installed....Happy Wife=Happy Life.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:22 PM   #30

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Most folks with AC in their trailers don't get water damage. It should not be too difficult to have an AC unit correctly installed, and not get damage. I don't think the water damage should be an issue in your decision. Instead, it should be based on your comfort level.

My comfort level generally involves having AC available on a trailer. I particularly recall my stay in Black Mesa SP (OK panhandle) one July night a few years ago. This was on my way home to Tulsa from a trip through the Rockies. I pulled into the CG around 4:30 pm, and the thermometer read 114 degrees F. By bedtime it had fallen into the upper 80s. Yes, I did enjoy my stay, all alone in the CG except for the deer, bunnies, and other wildlife; I walked and rode my bike in the evening hours and enjoyed the peaceful serenity. However, being able to retreat to the relative cool of the trailer made the stay bearable. AC is really, really nice to have.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:12 PM   #31

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Putting sliders in the front and back of your Scamp is going to require fiberglass work. Operable windows need a flat mounting surface, which the front and back are not. Fantastic fans might be an easier and more effective way to increase ventilation for sleeping. Since they're powered, you'll have a breeze even when the air is still.
Since the OPs trailer is a 1991, he's got a flat-back Scamp. Even my 1988 is a flat-back and I can put a sliding window in. HOWEVER, any opening front window Scamp has ever offered, they've discontinued. With reason. You're perhaps going to have leaking issues that even the manufacturer couldn't solve.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:53 PM   #32

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Smile

as hinted by others, the use of an air-conditioner (or heater) is mostly depended on location of adventures.

For Cari and I we really enjoy the mild weather of the PNW, and also like the greenery. Our typical season from spring thaw to fall freeze allows us to not feel obligated to include much if any heating and have never used an air conditioner in our rig(s) except our big rig at home on the coast.

We know we'll venture out of the PNW when we cut the cord to employment, though we hope to do our best at following the 55 to 75 degree preferred weather : ) Yea, we are weather weenies.

When I saw the title of this thread I misinterpreted the "A/C" as volts rather than a cooling system... we only plug our adventure rigs into shore power during the one outing we have with the Fiberglass RV Forum members. Next outlet use is this coming April. We figure if we are paying for electricity...might as well do something with it?

Happy Trails,
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:08 AM   #33

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Since the OPs trailer is a 1991, he's got a flat-back Scamp. Even my 1988 is a flat-back and I can put a sliding window in. HOWEVER, any opening front window Scamp has ever offered, they've discontinued. With reason. You're perhaps going to have leaking issues that even the manufacturer couldn't solve.
I didn't know that, Donna- thanks for the clarification. I assumed the change in the mold and the switch to sliders in the back happened at the same time. Do you happen to know when they changed the mold and when the rear slider became standard issue?
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:09 AM   #34

Jon, I THINK it was somewhere 1984-1985. All the 1985s I've seen are flat back, but still have the plexi window, not sliders. Flat backs are easy to spot due to the "ledge" under the window. The round backs are just as round in the back as the front. Fortunately those with flat backs, the plexi windows were sized for the sliders Scamp is still using.

1984 on left
1985 on right
Attached Thumbnails
1984.jpg   1985.JPG  

Old 02-14-2016, 11:12 AM   #35

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Yard-sale 30bucks window A/C, 5500BTU, d-i-y. It turns the little trailer as cold as a ..cooler in summer nights.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG793.jpg  
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:57 AM   #36

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Wow, I never thought I'd generate so much conversation. Thanks to everyone who has offered their opinions here. We haven't decided but will continue to consider all the options. I still have the existing damage to repair from the previous installation, once the weather turns nice, and will most probably prep the area to enable the installation of ac since I'll be working in there anyway.

We do have what has been referred to as "flat back" on Ziggy so we'll most likely be changing out the rear window AND I really appreciate the comment about the potential for issues with the front slider. Excellent advice, from everyone. Thanks again.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:18 PM   #37

IF you really want an opening front window and if you're willing to do the work, it's possible... this is a picture of a Love Bug, kinda hard to see the window and notice it's sitting more upright than other rounded front plexi window trailers (its the best I could do when searching quickly). I would think if you did the work and then created a gravel guard that wrapped around the window you could possibly prevent water leaks. The worst happen during driving rain storms while under tow.
Attached Thumbnails
LoveBug.jpg  
Old 02-14-2016, 12:55 PM   #38
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
The front window on my Trillium doesn't leak. A lot of Trilliums have been produced, all with opening front windows. I don't recall it being a known issue. Trillium uses wood spacers on all the windows and they are known to deteriorate due to poor maintenence but nothing unique to the front. Perhaps it's the shape of the trailer or maybe the jealousies work better than the slider??? Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:15 PM   #39

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
P.Raz and anyone else with sliding windows, I am not a big fan of sliding windows. Any water on the outside of the glass runs down into the slider track.
This water should run out of the track which runs both outside the trailer and inside the trailer through weeping slots at the outside bottom of the track that the window glides in.

If the drain slots are not kept clean the water will spill out of the track into the interior of the trailer...always keep these weeping slots clean and clear.
The other problem is when driving at high speed in heavy rain the rain water can find its way into the trailer.
Overall the jealousies if closed tightly are less likely to leak and allow for ventilation when camped in the rain. This type of window also known as an awning window is best overall in homes in the hot, humid and rainy tropics.

Another item most veteran travel trailer owners install is the MAXX AIR roof vent covers. This item cuts roof vent leaks when traveling in the rain to zero and you can leave vents open with these installed when you are moving as they protect the factory vent covers while allowing ventilation.

Water is the enemy of travel trailers.

Happy Camping.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:48 PM   #40

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
The darn things are tiny enough. Good Lord when the heater goes off it is enough to jump you out of bed. Enjoy the outdoor noise and a fan, may well be run by batteries.