Anybody own a newish Big Foot 25B25RQ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2019, 02:35 PM   #1

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Anybody own a newish Big Foot 25B25RQ?

Looking to buy a 2019 BF 25B25RQ, GVWR 7500 lbs, hitch weight 610 lbs. We will be going to a dealership later this week to see it. Towing with a 2011 Tundra 4x4, 5.7L engine with tow package.

Any thoughts or concerns? This one does not seem to have any televisions, although it does have a wall mount and HDMI wall outlet. Apparently no TV antenna or Cable hookups.

Can 4 adults sit at the table comfortably? Can (2) 6' guys sleep when the table is made into a bed?

Will an Andersen WDH work with this unit? Or what WDH do you use?

Anything to look for in particular?
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:48 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Tongue weight is going to be a lot higher, at least the real world weights I have seen here.

As far as TV, I never use the one in our Escape, and finally removed it. A roof antenna is just another penetration in the roof (future possible leak).

Rule of thumb on tongue weight is 13 to 15% of trailer total weight.

What is the payload rating on your Toyota (sticker on the driver's door jamb)? Typically that's what gets you first on pickup truck tow ratings. Its the options on your truck, and any extras you have added, that eat up the payload capacity.

Looked at the 25 ft BF at the Tampa RV show a couple of weeks ago. Really nice!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 03:29 PM   #3

Tennessee
The specs say the tongue weight is 610 lbs. So maybe I can balance the weight in the trailer to keep it near that amount.

My strategy is to buy the trailer, then moan and groan a bit and suggest to the boss...er...wife...that I need a new truck....
Old 02-04-2019, 06:16 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You can always manipulate tongue weight with loading. But if you go much below the recommended 12-15% of GVW, you invite dangerous sway. It’s a case where the solution may be worse than the problem. A couple hundred pounds over on payload, evenly distributed using a WDH, is better than an unstable trailer. Neither is ideal, of course.

Realistically, you have to do the math to see if you’re even close. If you are, then working a little on both ends- adjusting tongue weight down to the lower end of the safe range and distributing any excess across all axles might make it workable until the boss gives the green light.

If you decide to do this and you know you’re close or a little over on payload, you would do well to take it to a CAT scale, loaded and hitched, and get axle-by-axle weights. Then you’ll know where you stand in relation to the bottom line numbers- GAWR’s, GVWR’s, and GCWR.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:27 AM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
In most cases the Tundra has the least tow rating compared to the newer Ram, Ford, or GM 1/2 ton models. I just upgraded my tow vehicle to a new 2019 Ram 1500 4x4 crewcab because of it's towing capabilities. We are looking to move up to a Oliver, or Escape sometime this year. Personally if I didn't live in the Rockies and had to travel mountains all the time the Tundra should do fine, but you will know soon after you start pulling your Bigfoot if it is going to work, or not. If we had wanted a 25 ft. Bigfoot I would have went with the 3/4 ton 2500 Ram, but our trailer choice is in the 21-23 foot range and these trailer are some 2000 lbs. lighter then a 25 ft. Bigfoot. Just be sure the wife and you have and understanding that the Tundra may not do the job you want it to do.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:41 AM   #6

Tennessee
Thanks all. I have a Scherline scale and keep track of my tongue weights, but I will go to a truck scale if we purchase this TT.

I hope I can find a 3/4 or 1 ton PU as reliable and high quality as the Tundra.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:10 AM   #7

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 17G
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
I hope I can find a 3/4 or 1 ton PU as reliable and high quality as the Tundra.
My 2002 Chevrolet 2500HD (crew cab, long bed, 2WD) is still going strong after 270,000 miles - 20 mpg, tight, no squeeks, no rattles and I can accelerate while going uphill pulling a trailer. When not towing, it is sufficiently quiet and comfortable to go out to dinner with 4 other people.

Downsides - It is quite long and a bit hard to maneuver in tight spaces and I did have to have the injectors replaced some miles ago.
bobblangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:38 PM   #8

Tennessee
Bobblangley
Sounds like you have a diesel.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:15 PM   #9

Name: Steven and Paula
Trailer: Bigfoot
Ontario
living and sleeping in the 25b25rq

I'm 6' and I'm not sleeping with anyone else on my kitchen table/bed. It would be tight. I have only had a nephew ever bunk down there. You can eat there with 4 adults - again it could be considered tight, but I'm 240lbs and everything is starting to feel tight. I tow mine with 1500 Ram with tow package and 5.7 Hemi. Never had an issue and gas mileage is great. Rockies? I don't know - have not tried it yet.
I have a WDH, but can not tell you who's. It works great -it's a must for sway control.
The 2rb25rq is really a very comfortable trailer for couples with the occasional visitor. I've done over 20,000 with it now and it's perfect for us.
I don't have a TV in the camper, but I have 3 separate Cable outlets - won't say never.
Towing with some weight in the back ( I have a bike rack for the Mountain Bikes ) seems to really help the balance of the whole outfit.
The last thing is the blinds. We have two sets in one, pull down one for semi private and the other for private. Really like that option.
Good luck
Old 02-06-2019, 07:41 PM   #10

Tennessee
Thanks Steve, this is the kind of info I need. Does your WDH have chains? The BF company said WDH with chains will require a larger hole cut into the sides of the cowling, whereas the type of WDH that sits on a rest would need a smaller hole.

I really dislike the idea of cutting into that nice looking fiberglass.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:23 PM   #11

Name: Steven and Paula
Trailer: Bigfoot
Ontario
WDH info

Mine has chains and I have a small 4x4ish semi circle hole on both sides. I just met another 25rq in Florida and his (2006) has a white rubber gasket protecting the cut edges. If that makes sense. I don't (2008), but will scare some up. The chains flex back and forth as you corner. I avoid tight turns. My brother in law did a little spot welding for the clamps to beef them up and I had one clamp break. I can send you picks if you want.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:56 PM   #12

Tennessee
Thanks Steve, Please send pics.
Henry
htrzrbrn106@gmail.com
Old 02-09-2019, 11:43 AM   #13

Tennessee
Ordered a blue ox sway pro.

Encountering a curious thing: Salesman said they accepted my offer, which included a chance to best my previously approved loan commitmant from my Savings and Loan company. After I send them a $2,500 deposit the dealership loan officer got all snarly and said I HAVE to take a loan out through them in order to get the price offered by the dealership.

I have seen such requirements on the web, so before I sent the deposit in I stressed that I would not be obligated, and was assured by the salesman, via email, that they only wanted a chance to compete and would not be obligated to finance through the dealership to get the price as stated.

I sent them an email stating the amount I am considering, the terms and conditions, and said they would have to beat it. Still waiting for a response.

Deal is not off, but I am getting a bit peeved.

I would not have sent in a deposit had I thought it was an issue.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:06 PM   #14

Name: Dale
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
California
Quote:
Looking to buy a 2019 BF 25B25RQ, GVWR 7500 lbs, hitch weight 610 lbs. We will be going to a dealership later this week to see it. Towing with a 2011 Tundra 4x4, 5.7L engine with tow package.

Any thoughts or concerns? This one does not seem to have any televisions, although it does have a wall mount and HDMI wall outlet. Apparently no TV antenna or Cable hookups.

Can 4 adults sit at the table comfortably? Can (2) 6' guys sleep when the table is made into a bed?

Will an Andersen WDH work with this unit? Or what WDH do you use?

Anything to look for in particular?

They are very nice trailers. Got my new 25RQ in Feb 2016.

We don't have TV so don't know about that. Ordered ours wired and with antenna, but never used it.

The table will sit 4 fairly comfortably. We have the extended bench which I call my sofa so get a little overslop on that side. Comfortably sleeping two six footers depends on how skinny they are. One could sleep on the sofa part and the other on the dinette part, L shaped would give most room probably.

If your Tundra has the towing package like you said it does, and the tow rating is 8000 or more and payload is 1500 or more, you should be ok. I tow with a maxed out F150 and it does very well. I don't know about Andersen WDHs, I use a Husky Round Bar and it works fine.

Enjoy the trailer.
damueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:50 PM   #15

Tennessee
Thanks Dale. My Tundra has tow package, 4x4 which cuts down tow capacity to 7800 lbs and payload to 1334 lbs.

I will use it a season and if it is a problem will sell it and get something else.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:11 PM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
"to keep it near that amount."

Yeah, good luck with that. It would be a disaster just waiting to happen. NEVER skimp on the Tow Vehicle. You WANT and NEED a good safety margin. LIVES depend on it.
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:27 PM   #17

California
Quote:
Thanks Dale. My Tundra has tow package, 4x4 which cuts down tow capacity to 7800 lbs and payload to 1334 lbs.

I will use it a season and if it is a problem will sell it and get something else.
I remember when we were shopping for Bigfoots way back in early mid 2015, and found a used25RQ on the Bigfoot or for sale thread on this site down in Tempe or Chandler. The guy was pulling it with a Tundra. I asked how it did and he said "fine". He had pictures of it and they may still be up on this site. Go back to 2015 and see if it is still there. They would go up to Sedona and Flagstaff all the time.

At the time I had not decided on a tow vehicle and was looking at F250 or 150. I wanted a supercab with 6.5' bed so it would fit in my garage, and gas engine. I found two F250s in stock in California at the time but none were quite equipped the way I wanted so I was going to have to order and ended up with the 150 which has been great for me. I figured if his Tundra was ok, then the F150 should be.

So, I would agree with your plan to try it out and see if your are happy with it. Your specs are right there, which is ok. I haul generators, xtra gas, tools, etc, plus wife and cat.

Be sure your tires are rated for the load, if still factory probably are but be sure you can put up to 45-50lbs psi (rear) in the them. If not rated for that, get correct load range tires.

A WDH is a must, and again if set up properly, should be fine. If you are getting the trailer from a dealer check with them and when you pick it up have them set up the hitch for proper clearances, levelness, all that stuff. My dealer did and that's who I bought the WDH from. I did have a good dealer.

Power should not be an issue, Tundras are stout trucks, so with caution and prudent driving, you should be all right. I would not hesitate to try it out. If not happy, move up.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:08 PM   #18

Tennessee
Thanks Dale.
My tires are Michelin 275/65/R18 Load range E, Max pressure 80 lbs.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:21 PM   #19

California
Quote:
Thanks Dale.
My tires are Michelin 275/65/R18 Load range E, Max pressure 80 lbs.
Your ready to roll.

Question: How do you like the tire's ride unloaded? Is it ok, not rough or hard when inflated at the 35-40 running around?

The reason I ask is I am tempting myself to upgrade to the load range E Michelins (or Wranglers) but am gun shy for ride and handling quality. I know they would tow better.

Still running the factory Goodyear Wranglers (49,000 miles and still tread left) which are good riding, handling, and towing, when inflated close to max which is 51lbs. Really need to get new tires before the next big trip.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:40 PM   #20

Tennessee
Dale,
I keep my truck loaded with camping gear. It also has a fiberglass leer shell and a bed slide out. So I am at max payload when hook up. I keep my tires at about 65lbs, so I can't really say what it would be like at 35-40 lbs unloaded, sorry.