Anyone Else Snowed In? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Anyone Else Snowed In?

Well, the blizzard has hit KS reminding me that this is something I do not want to have to deal with. We had "thunder" snow this morning and my husband mistook it for the sound of a snow plow. There have been no snowplows. The thunder is neat though but it only happened a couple of times and was long and very grumbly. We have traveled and lived in a few different states so have experienced many types of weather. I read "RV Sue and her canine crew" this morning and she had photos of the snow in the mountains in the distance behind the green of the desert and I remembered that is the only way any more that I desire to see snow. So, let me dig out the boots, gloves, snow shovel and ice melt...................
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:22 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
We are not in a blizzard. Just that on again, off again stuff, all winter long. Every so often we get a day where there is no snow on the ground at all.

But... only 6 wks until the Casita comes out of winter storage!!!!
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #3

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
How about this--I was scheduled to go snowshoeing today and it got cancelled because of a snowstorm. It's not snowing up at the Continental Divide where we were planning on going but it looked too dangerous to be driving on the Denver streets to get to the carpool location. Ah well....
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #4

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft (Eggs-Car-Go with ivy the tug)
We only have six inches of snow here in NE Ohio and it has been a cold Feb. We are maple syrup producers and have only made 30 gal. so far. A very slow start. The sap is sweet at 34 to 1 so it should be a good season if we can warm the days into the 40s. The good thing about making syrup is when the season is over spring is really here.
Edward Shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We are just barely in north central KS and have 8 inches with 10 to 12 inches before it is over. We are under severe drought but what a heck of a way to get moisture! They have 2 semi-trucks stuck at one of the off ramps off the highway with now a closed exit and people have abandoned their cars on some of the streets. Major employers are open and expect employees to show up and I won't even rant on that. They say this afternoon after the snow slows down, the wind will pick up and make visibility almost zero. I have not ventured out yet but the dogs went out once and now have no interest in going back out and they are big old dogs too and obviously smarter than at least a few of the people here!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
We are just barely in north central KS and have 8 inches with 10 to 12 inches before it is over
This is what we refer to as a skiff of snow.

It is interesting what different areas of the continent think of as heavy snowfall. In most places in Canada, nothing shuts down despite the weather in most cases. We are definitely hindered by snow storms though. The big difference is that we have the facility to deal with the snow with snow removing efforts. Communities that rarely see much snow, do not have the equipment to deal with it. After laughing at the Las Vegas airport for shutting down after 4" of snow, a friend who lives there pointed out that they do not have any snow removal equipment, and had to wait the better part of the day for it to melt.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #7

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
My husband was on the phone last night telling me how to start the snowblower in preparation for the storm. I told him I have four wheel drive and I know how to use it. The snow will be waiting for you.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #8

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Not having been in CO very long I still consider myself a sun bunny, but last nite I saw snow in Scottsdale and Flagstaff and there is none where I live. Of course the mountains got dumped on and that is where the snow belongs. Might be a different story over the weekend though.
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #9

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
Gee Edward Shook, you must be in the snow belt. Where do you live in NE Ohio? We can still see the grass poking out, here in Kent.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #10

Name: Imogene
Trailer: 2013 Casita
Missouri
in south central missouri...flakes of snow about 1 am, sleet off and on since then...maybe 2 inches of sleet...hoping it continues to stay below freezing so it stays sleet and not ice coated trees and power lines. A set of tripplett lambs born about 7 am in shed out of weather, all are now in barn and snuggled down. Need the moisture. Been spending nites in Scamp since Jan. 20 and the lambs have slowly been dribbling out at all hours of day and nite in all types of weather.....sure am tired!! Wanna really go real camping.
Imo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #11

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
We've had two snow falls the last couple weeks. Maybe a inch+ the first time, but was melted by the end of the day. The last snow I saw because I got up in the middle of the night, but it was about gone when I got up. We must be on the bottom edge as we are having some rain, but all snow is gone and none in the near forecast.

======================================

It was autumn, and the Indians on the remote reservation asked their new Chief if the winter was going to be cold or mild. Since he was a new Indian Chief in a modern society, he had never been taught the old secrets, and when he looked at the sky, he couldn't tell what the weather was going to be.

Nevertheless, to be on the safe side, he replied to his tribe that the winter was indeed going to be cold and that the members of the village should collect wood to be prepared. But also being a practical leader, after several days he got an idea. He went to the phone booth, called the National Weather Service and asked,
"Is the coming winter going to be cold?"
"It looks like this winter is going to be quite cold indeed," the meteorologist at the weather service responded.

So the Chief went back to his people and told them to collect even more wood in order to be prepared. A week later he called the National Weather Service again.
"Is it going to be a very cold winter?"
"Yes," the man at National Weather Service again replied, "it's going to be a very cold winter."

The Chief again went back to his people and ordered them to collect every scrap of wood they could find. Two weeks later he called the National Weather Service again.
"Are you absolutely sure that the winter is going to be very cold?"
"Absolutely," the man replied. "It's going to be one of the coldest winters ever."

"How can you be so sure?" the Chief asked.
The weatherman replied, "The Indians are collecting wood like crazy!"
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #12

NE Oklahoma
“Everyone talks about the weather, but no one does anything about it.”
― Mark Twain

“The sun did not shine. It was too wet to play.
So we sat in the house. All that cold, cold, wet day.”
― Dr. Seuss, The Cat in the Hat

“It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles,
against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent.”
― Dave Barry

“After three days men grow weary, of a wench, a guest, and weather rainy.”
― Benjamin Franklin
Old 02-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #13

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
snow...snow...snow. we've got tons and it's all going to melt by camping season, so
it's all good!

about 2 1/2 feet on the ground at present...and we had a huge melt mid-january!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:34 PM   #14

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
yep.

Tractor won't start, car is high centered, truck sucks in snow. I spent an hour shoveling, and neither vehicle will move.

I called in, and opened up the bottle of whiskey.

Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #15

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
I parked the jeep in front of the snow blower. It's not going anywhere.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I called in, and opened up the bottle of whiskey.
Now, that is good winter weather planning.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #17

NE Oklahoma
It's also known as anti-freeze, but I wouldn't rely on it without wearing a coat as well.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #18

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
It's also known as anti-freeze, but I wouldn't rely on it without wearing a coat as well.
I'm staying plenty warm.

Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #19

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
We got hammered in Shawnee, KS today. We had lightning, thunder, and heavy snow this morning. It was pretty fun to get ten inches of snow in about four hours and since I'm a teacher, it's even more fun because of snow days! We haven't had a plow come down our street yet either.

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:32 PM   #20

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Started about 7:00pm this evening in Indy. Sleet, then accumulations of ice from freezing rain. Rain/freezing rain/sleet and then 2 inches of snow predicted overnight. 30 mile an hour winds to boot

The weather folk on TV call it a "Wintery Mix"

I call it "Slip slidin' away!"

Spanke