Anyone ever seen a United fiberglass enclosed trailer? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-27-2019, 04:38 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Featherlite
Iowa
Anyone ever seen a United fiberglass enclosed trailer?

Hello everyone.

Even though I'm still looking for a narrow track 7x16, this fiberglass United trailer caught my eye..

Has anyone ever seen one up close? I like how it would be resistant to leaking, but I remember when I borrowed a scamp once and took it off road. It had allot of stress cracks in the gel coat after we returned and I would punish this trailer even more.

This trailer was rarely used and sat in owners back yard its entire life. But i wonder if United is so big, why haven't I ever seen one of these before?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
00z0z_hIXqAahTije_1200x900.jpg   00W0W_1bzwi760U46_1200x900.jpg  

00b0b_lViGADfhITP_1200x900.jpg   00808_kPFwdhOSU7l_1200x900.jpg  

rebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:11 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Hymer
California
Registry
You wouldn’t waste much time keeping the windows clean.
OCJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:26 AM   #3

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCJohn View Post
You wouldn’t waste much time keeping the windows clean.

My next camper must be a toyhauler, so I have little choice but to look for a cargo trailer since I want 7x16.

Like mentioned, if United is so big, why haven't I ever seen one of these before? Was the design was so bad they fell apart so United stopped making them? And this one survived because it never left the owners back yard?
Old 12-27-2019, 10:26 AM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebar View Post

My next camper must be a toyhauler, so I have little choice but to look for a cargo trailer since I want 7x16.

Like mentioned, if United is so big, why haven't I ever seen one of these before? Was the design was so bad they fell apart so United stopped making them? And this one survived because it never left the owners back yard?
Wow fiberglass toy hauler! How thick are the walls and roof? What is the weight capacity of the trailer?
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 12:45 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
It looks like it may be an older Chariot bike trailer.
Eddie
chariotmanufacturing.com
chariotmanufacturing.com/
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 05:49 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
It's possible United bought these from a fiberglass trailer manufacturer & then rebadged/sold them as a United trailer.
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 05:00 AM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Eddie
chariotmanufacturing.com
I agree. Chariots were manufactured in Oldsmar, FL, I believe.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 08:40 AM   #8

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Eddie
chariotmanufacturing.com
Thanks, but I don't think so.. The United has a different shape altogether. The axles are 3500# torsions being they have 5 lug nuts.

I don't know anything about fiberglass trailers except for the stress cracks on the scamp I borrowed..

I'm still wondering if the fiberglass construction is a advantage over steel or not.. I would have to install wall studs and ceiling rafters etc etc. It would be a pain in the butt epoxying all the studs and rafters in straight. But it would never leak. Windows, bed, I could see it..

Gel coat stress cracks don't bother me much, But will it survive rough gravel roads?
Old 01-01-2020, 01:59 PM   #9

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Quote:
\ Gelcoat stress cracks don't bother me much.

But will it survive rough gravel roads?
Short Answer?

NO!

If you have visions of Forest Service roads, rough gravel roads or a little "Overlanding" without extra support those roads will shake that trailer to death.

Expect to replace the axle with a much better suspension such as a Timbren setup to survive rough roads. Expect to replace all the elevator bolts holding the fiberglass shell to the frame and most likely adding extra frame support.

You might also consider a "Exo-Skeleton" to provide additional up high support such as on the Uhaul Camper shown below.

If this was a PELSUE commercial brand trailer or similar type of heavy duty commercial fiberglass shell trailer manufacturer then I would say yes. Anything short of that expect a lot of structural support work to make it work.

https://pelsue.com/
Attached Images

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 02:36 PM   #10

Name: Roger
Trailer: HiPoint Toy Hauler
California
Smile Fiberglass Toy Hauler

I have a HiPoint that is very similar to this. Mine is 7 x 12 with a rear ramp. I converted mine to a "Rolling Prospectors Shack". :-) I forgot how to add a picture....
Sorry about the long Google link. I hope this helps.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hi+p...dSqHjIM:&vet=1
Roger M. Sonora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:10 PM   #11

California
Quote:
Hello everyone.

Even though I'm still looking for a narrow track 7x16, this fiberglass United trailer caught my eye..

Has anyone ever seen one up close? I like how it would be resistant to leaking, but I remember when I borrowed a scamp once and took it off road. It had allot of stress cracks in the gel coat after we returned and I would punish this trailer even more.

This trailer was rarely used and sat in owners back yard its entire life. But i wonder if United is so big, why haven't I ever seen one of these before?

Thanks!
Here is another link:

https://www.google.com/search?q=hi+p...h=579&dpr=1.25
Old 01-01-2020, 03:18 PM   #12

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger M. Sonora View Post
I have towed my HiPoint thousands of miles through all kinds of weather, all four seasons, and never had a leak issue. I towed it from Berkeley Springs, WV to Sonora,Ca via Tacoma,Wa. fully loaded from floor to ceiling, front to back with furniture etc. and didn't even know it was behind my 1994 Chevy Silverado. The tandem torsion bar suspension gave it the perfect ride and tow. It, stand alone, is nothing more than a fiberglass shell so weight is absolutely minimal. I have walked on the roof many times as it was intended. Mine has a ladder on the front for roof access. I weigh 200+. I haven't found any cracks from stress or otherwise. The best trailer I have ever bought.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:35 PM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I see a few United trailers being towed on I 80. They are usually behind work trucks and once in a while I can make out the truck door logo and it’s usually some kind of outdoor “electrical” outfit like fiber optics, traffic signal controls, electronic billboards etc. I mainly drive 1-80 between Fort Wayne and Eastern Iowa. Made two tips this past month (1600 miles) and think I saw one. Also saw one Oliver, a scamp 19, two casitas and 4 or 5 airstreams, two Tesla’s so that’s an indication of frequency, all weekdays, a Monday two Thursdays and a Friday. 30 hours in the saddle.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:40 PM   #14

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Short Answer?

NO!

If you have visions of Forest Service roads, rough gravel roads or a little "Overlanding" without extra support those roads will shake that trailer to death.
Expect to replace the axle with a much better suspension such as a Timbren setup to survive rough roads. Expect to replace all the elevator bolts holding the fiberglass shell to the frame and most likely adding extra frame support.
You might also consider a "Exo-Skeleton" to provide additional up high support such as on the Uhaul Camper shown below.

If this was a PELSUE commercial brand trailer or similar type of heavy duty commercial fiberglass shell trailer manufacturer then I would say yes. Anything short of that expect a lot of structural support work to make it work.

https://pelsue.com/
Thanks vintageracer.. My gut agrees with you as I haven't contacted the seller since last week after he told me united still made them which is false. I called united and spoke with a long time salesman about it. He remembered it, but would not tell me why they stopped making them. But he did say it wasn't because of cost.. I planned on replacing the axles, but I think Id be better off with a steel trailer..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger M. Sonora View Post
I have towed my HiPoint thousands of miles through all kinds of weather, all four seasons, and never had a leak issue. I towed it from Berkeley Springs, WV to Sonora,Ca via Tacoma,Wa. fully loaded from floor to ceiling, front to back with furniture etc. and didn't even know it was behind my 1994 Chevy Silverado. The tandem torsion bar suspension gave it the perfect ride and tow. It, stand alone, is nothing more than a fiberglass shell so weight is absolutely minimal. I have walked on the roof many times as it was intended. Mine has a ladder on the front for roof access. I weigh 200+. I haven't found any cracks from stress or otherwise. The best trailer I have ever bought.
Hi Rodger. Thanks for your testimonial for your hi point trailer. Ive seen them for sale here and there and they have a steel cage inside but Ive never seen a 16' hi-point and I don't really care for the low roof in front or the narrow ramp door. And I need a 6' tall ramp door opening to walk through. How tall is the high point? But other than that , the hi-point's the 7' width I want, and that's a big deal for me.. So if I see a 16' one, I'll remember what you said..
Old 01-04-2020, 12:54 PM   #15

California
Quote:
Thanks vintageracer.. My gut agrees with you as I haven't contacted the seller since last week after he told me united still made them which is false. I called united and spoke with a long time salesman about it. He remembered it, but would not tell me why they stopped making them. But he did say it wasn't because of cost.. I planned on replacing the axles, but I think Id be better off with a steel trailer..

Hi Rodger. Thanks for your testimonial for your hi point trailer. Ive seen them for sale here and there and they have a steel cage inside but Ive never seen a 16' hi-point and I don't really care for the low roof in front or the narrow ramp door. And I need a 6' tall ramp door opening to walk through. How tall is the high point? But other than that , the hi-point's the 7' width I want, and that's a big deal for me.. So if I see a 16' one, I'll remember what you said..
Hi Mike, The ramp door is 75"x 75", the door opening is 72.5" h. The interior height of the cabin is 82.5" floor to ceiling. The low slope in the front only extends for about 16" which allow for angled sealed windows across the front. If you search for Hi Point Trailers in Google Images you will find the 16ft version. Good luck in your search! Best Regards, Roger
Old 01-06-2020, 08:41 AM   #16

Name: noc
Trailer: United
Illinois
You said United no longer made trailers and was out of business, in which I said they still made trailers. As far as producing fiberglass trailers I do not know and I suppose they do not.

[QUOTE=rebar;764112]Thanks vintageracer.. My gut agrees with you as I haven't contacted the seller since last week after he told me united still made them which is false. I called united and spoke with a long time salesman about it. He remembered it, but would not tell me why they stopped making them. But he did say it wasn't because of cost.. I planned on replacing the axles, but I think Id be better off with a steel trailer..
colin charles is offline   Reply With Quote