Anyone Have Links? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-22-2009, 08:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Thumbs up

O.K. group mind hidden in the Ethernet,

Does any one have any links on this one? I am having a middle age moment here and cannot find where or whom this puppy belongs too? I am trying to find info on the one step seamless process used in its manufacture.

Harry

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-SandBa...=item2557e39323
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:30 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Donna will remember, it's been posted here before. In my area, The skeeters would love coming in that back hatch to have dinner on my skin.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Harry, Seems that this is a prototype and the company hadn't really gotten off the ground so more than likely they didn't get a web site up and running. Beautiful, but dang 4800 pounds empty for a 19 fter? Woosh! Don't think I would wanna pull that tank around. Nice to look at though. Would love to see the bathroom interior. Sorry I can't help you further.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:07 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Donna will remember, it's been posted here before. In my area, The skeeters would love coming in that back hatch to have dinner on my skin.
Years ago... and I'm talking six years... there was a trailer called a Suntrek Vista purported to be a ''Seamless design made from a single fibreglass mold'' Unfortunately it's from the Legacy Posts and all the links seem to be dead. You could try Google or other search engine and see if one pops up for sale or perhaps a home page for further info:
Suntrek Vista - Legacy Posts

More recent, for something that looks similar to this Sandbar is one being built in Grants Pass, Oregon called a TAG by Long Dog Enterprise. Remember, I said similar: TAG - Long Dog Enterprise

On edit: Maybe I'm getting hung up on the design, rather than the method of manufacturer, but there's also the ASV trailer: ASV Trailers, it's not molded....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:22 AM   #5

Trailer: 95 Bigfoot 17 ft / 2005 F-250 V-10
After looking at this one a little closer--I am not sure it is the greatest--there isn't even a table to eat at inside, is there?
Bonnie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:36 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
yeah tag along, thats what I was thinking. You'd think I could remember that funny name Long Dog Enterprise. Their descriptions says Molded Fiberglass Exterior Body. Maybe a prototype from them. The exterior shape sure does look like ASV though. Interesting.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:22 AM   #7

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I find it interesting that they are pitching the "one piece molded construction" as being so instrumental in eliminating leaks.

For one thing, I bet it still has a floor that is put in separately. That is, I don't know of anyone (boat or otherwise) who molds the entire thing in one giant "ball." Yes, the hull can be one piece, but then the deck (roof) is another piece. (In a trailer the "hull" would be the top and sides; the "deck" would be the floor - because they are more like upside down boats.)

For another, if the seam is properly fiberglassed, it is virtually never a leaking problem, as that makes the units bond into "one piece." (Granted, if a company installs a belly band trim piece with penetrating rivets, as in the case of the original Trillium, it can leak; but if one resists that - which is easy nowadays - then you end up with a one piece shell for practical purposes.) A proper mechanical bond is pretty darned good; a chemical bond (need to take care to do it within a certain time window) is just like one piece.

In fact, many fiberglass boats (mine included) have hulls that are molded in separate "halves," and joined with a proper bond. I have never heard of one of these coming apart or leaking at that join. Of course these boats do leak, but (as noted below), it's almost always at a window (port) or other deck penetration, like a hardware fastener, a hatch, or etc.

And lastly (and most pertinent, to my mind), of the millions of molded fiberglass RV leaks, a huge percentage is not at any "seam" where they were molded, but instead at one of the many necessary penetrations that need to be sealed: Windows, roof vents, awning rails, A/C units, etc. Even a "one piece molded" RV will still have those, unless it is a dark cave with nothing in it.

Not that it's not a good trailer, but I would be more impressed if they touted "well- made, with attention to detail" rather than getting all excited about the "one piece" thing.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:09 AM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
After looking at this one a little closer--I am not sure it is the greatest--there isn't even a table to eat at inside, is there?
Bonnie, the table is hanging on the bathroom back wall, It's a fold up design that you can put up and down when needed. It took me some time to figure out what the thing hanging off the back wall to the left of the picture that shows the Back Door up! I have seen these types of tables in toy haulers thats why it finally dawned on me what the thing hanging was. But for me, you have that big ole door in back and then the door curb side but if the table was up you couldn't walk thru..........

The sales info says that its like a Motor Coach but in trailer form, but in my opinion it's more like a toy hauler in glass egg form.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:19 AM   #9

Trailer: 95 Bigfoot 17 ft / 2005 F-250 V-10
Quote:
Bonnie, the table is hanging on the bathroom back wall, It's a fold up design that you can put up and down when needed. It took me some time to figure out what the thing hanging off the back wall to the left of the picture that shows the Back Door up! I have seen these types of tables in toy haulers thats why it finally dawned on me what the thing hanging was. But for me, you have that big ole door in back and then the door curb side but if the table was up you couldn't walk thru..........

The sales info says that its like a Motor Coach but in trailer form, but in my opinion it's more like a toy hauler in glass egg form.
Thanks, Robin--LOL! I saw that.
I guess this is a fair weather type of rig--A table outside of the rig in the Pacific Northwest might not always be so attractive. Great in the summer (and then maybe not so good--how do you keep the bugs and little flying creatures out of the rig?) --but not so good in the rain and snow.
Bonnie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:31 PM   #10

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Arrow

Raya,

You caught all my thoughts on this in your post...I too am curious and question the marketing claim vs the actual tech regarding this process as its claimed... I am trying to track this story to see if I am missing some improvements in equipment or a tech I am blind too right now? They did go to extraordinary claims repeatedly referencing a one piece design ergo cast or shot all at once?

Everyone's other comments are true too...weight, skeeters etc.

Harry

Quote:
I find it interesting that they are pitching the "one piece molded construction" as being so instrumental in eliminating leaks.

For one thing, I bet it still has a floor that is put in separately. That is, I don't know of anyone (boat or otherwise) who molds the entire thing in one giant "ball." Yes, the hull can be one piece, but then the deck (roof) is another piece. (In a trailer the "hull" would be the top and sides; the "deck" would be the floor - because they are more like upside down boats.)

For another, if the seam is properly fiberglassed, it is virtually never a leaking problem, as that makes the units bond into "one piece." (Granted, if a company installs a belly band trim piece with penetrating rivets, as in the case of the original Trillium, it can leak; but if one resists that - which is easy nowadays - then you end up with a one piece shell for practical purposes.) A proper mechanical bond is pretty darned good; a chemical bond (need to take care to do it within a certain time window) is just like one piece.

In fact, many fiberglass boats (mine included) have hulls that are molded in separate "halves," and joined with a proper bond. I have never heard of one of these coming apart or leaking at that join. Of course these boats do leak, but (as noted below), it's almost always at a window (port) or other deck penetration, like a hardware fastener, a hatch, or etc.

And lastly (and most pertinent, to my mind), of the millions of molded fiberglass RV leaks, a huge percentage is not at any "seam" where they were molded, but instead at one of the many necessary penetrations that need to be sealed: Windows, roof vents, awning rails, A/C units, etc. Even a "one piece molded" RV will still have those, unless it is a dark cave with nothing in it.

Not that it's not a good trailer, but I would be more impressed if they touted "well- made, with attention to detail" rather than getting all excited about the "one piece" thing.

Raya
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote