Anyone near Regina? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-29-2019, 11:01 AM   #1

Name: Deb
Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot B19
British Columbia
Anyone near Regina?

Hi folks. Pretty new here and have just tracked down my TV - 2006 RAV4 V6, with factory tow package, very low kms (miles )

Now that I have something to pull with, I need something to pull! I have been in conversation with someone in Regina, with a nicely updated & maintained (seems to be) 17' Boler. I, on the other hand, am in the interior of BC.

Was wondering if anyone knows this trailer, or could recommend someone that could do a bit of a first-hand inspection on it? I know it has a small (so far) leak in the water heater, but other than that appears to be in good nick.

I am not in a position to do anything outright at this point (just spent more on the TV than I had planned originally - but worth it for this vehicle) until I sell the motorhome. 6 Months from now, would be a different story. Maybe he's motivated and might be willing to work something out that works for both of us. But without having a better first-hand idea of what I am actually "looking at" it's hard find a reasonable starting point.

Any help from that area would be appreciated. Cheers from BC
Deb Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 07:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
A17 ft boler sounds like too much for a Rav,
They have lots a power but actual weight of a loaded 17 is gonna be up there,,,
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 08:08 PM   #3

British Columbia
Hi Fred. The current owner gave me the empty (unloaded) wet weight (?) at 2200 with full water and propane tanks. The RAV4 is rated at 3500 lb capacity and I travel light. Theres just me and 2 small dogs. So I thought I should be OK with the RAV. I can’t see coming in anywhere near 3000 (closer to 2700-2800) so should be safe. BBQ and little Honda gennie lawn chair, carried in the car, maybe a spare jug of water (filtered for the dogs). I’m hoping he didn't steer me wrong. But if so it’s not like I already own it
Old 12-29-2019, 09:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
I tow our 13 boler with a Toyota Sienna same ratings as your Rav. Loaded probably in the 1700-1800 range, don't think I'd want to up it by a 1000 lbs.
There is a thread here somewhere that has weights of trailers in the real world, maybe check there to confirm the 17 boler.
Good luck on your hunt!
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 11:44 PM   #5

British Columbia
I actually think I will be closer to the 2400-2500 range. We’ll see where we end up. Not likely to be in a real position to buy anything till spring anyway. Who knows what will and won’t be available by then. It’s all an adventure ��.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:23 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Anyone near Regina?

The weight database is “Trailer Weights in the Real World” in the General Chat section (sticky thread). Post #297 links to a handy spreadsheet.

There is only one Boler 1700 in the database, which is too small a sample size to say anything with certainty. It weighed in loaded at 2970# GVW with 240# TW. The TW is below 10% of GVW, so that makes it a bit suspect. The GVW is on the low end compared to other 17’ers but within the range. I honestly doubt you will see much less than that.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:53 AM   #7

Name: Dave and Bonnie
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Mac View Post
Hi folks. Pretty new here and have just tracked down my TV - 2006 RAV4 V6, with factory tow package, very low kms (miles )

Now that I have something to pull with, I need something to pull! I have been in conversation with someone in Regina, with a nicely updated & maintained (seems to be) 17' Boler. I, on the other hand, am in the interior of BC.

Was wondering if anyone knows this trailer, or could recommend someone that could do a bit of a first-hand inspection on it? I know it has a small (so far) leak in the water heater, but other than that appears to be in good nick.

I am not in a position to do anything outright at this point (just spent more on the TV than I had planned originally - but worth it for this vehicle) until I sell the motorhome. 6 Months from now, would be a different story. Maybe he's motivated and might be willing to work something out that works for both of us. But without having a better first-hand idea of what I am actually "looking at" it's hard find a reasonable starting point.

Any help from that area would be appreciated. Cheers from BC
Deb
Hi from Dave and Bonnie and "Bernice" = 1977 Boler 17' I tow with a V6 Honda Ridgeline easily; although Bernice weighs in at 2990 lbs with little in it and no water in the tanks. ( I had it weighed at a highway truck stop weigh station twice) I would check the tow rating for the Toyota V6 - may have to invest in a transmission cooler. A V6 should tow it, definitely a V4 will NOT!

Hopefully a Boler owner in Regina will go look at the Boler for sale for you, if not you could ask a dealer there.

They are wonderful to own, and you're welcome to see mine if you're ever down to Vancouver
daveandbonscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:02 PM   #8

British Columbia
Hi Dave n Bonnie. Good information to know. I was thinking his weight at 2200 empty but with water and propane was a bit "optimistic". I am still very much on the hunt, but I have lined up someone in Regina who could do an inspection for me if I decided to go that route, and the trailer is available by the time I can do anything.

If I am heading down that way I might just take you up the offer of a tour. Good roads make it about a 4 hour drive for me from here. Winter? - who knows!

Thanks. Deb
Old 01-04-2020, 03:15 PM   #9

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
I have the RAV4 v6, tow package, like yours.
I towed a Casita 17’ with it. The longest trip was Houston to Kansas City. I only towed it “dry” but did fine. Went camping a lot. Good weather, easy (slow’ish) driving, WDH + anti-sway. It is possible. But I sold the Casita & now have a Scamp 16. Much better.
We used to have a Scamp 13 and it towed like a dream, coast to coast, over hill & dale. I would suggest the 13 or 16 with the RAV4, but like I said, towing a 17 is possible if you’re determined and able to push the car’s limits.
Your RAV4 already has the transmission cooler, as well as a bigger alternator, and it’s ready for a 4-wire electrical/lights hookup to be installed. Please ensure you get the brake controller installed, because you will need the trailer brakes to tow safely with the RAV4.
Good luck in your search!
Let us know what FGRV you get.
Doc.Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:51 PM   #10

British Columbia
Hi Kevin. I plan to travel dry as well. I do the same in the motorhome. I leave enough water in the tanks for a couple of flushes along the way, and enough in the black tank to keep things moving around, and then dump on arrival and fill up the water (or just half fill if I'm only overnighting it.) I would consider a 17' in the Boler (because it doesn't have a 16') but if I end up with Scamp or Casita, etc, I would shoot for the 16' - I need the toilet space.

I'm a pretty conservative driver, don't push it going uphill with the coach (or down) gearing down for torque and engine braking. If I go 40 mph uphill, so be it. I'm not in a great rush.

Brake controller is next on the list (I have to check and see what type of connector is at the back. And a WDH and sway bar. I'm going to get an OBD2 scanner to monitor things like transmission, oil & coolant temps as well. I like my gauges on the motorhome. Nice to have that info as you're hauling 13,000 lb up a 10% grade.

Theres a Scamp in Vancouver, but it's a layout 5. I was looking for a 4 or 6 for the second sleeping area. But a 5 could work. I'm looking at logistics. Thanks for the input on your RAV experience - the more info on it's towing capability the better for me.