Anyone travel and camp with cats? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2015, 03:58 PM   #1

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
Anyone travel and camp with cats?

Was wondering how many people travel and camp with their pet cat. We have a sociable cat and don't like leaving her home while we're gone. Any advice from people on this forum who do this?

Thanks in advance for your input.

JR
JRTrillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Did that. On one trip the cat walked around all nite, looking out the windowes making it somewhat dificult to sleep.

On another ocassion a Black One (Spot) got out and as you know, most cats dont come when called so Spot remained at the Navy Campground in Solomins Island, Maryland.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:04 PM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Our cat is trained on a leash and we have taken him camping a few times now. He loves all the attention and has a good time even with some friends dogs. He has found his favorite place in the upper cabinet above the bed and the side table(has a great view).
Attached Thumbnails
2014-06-29 17.12.49.jpg   IMG_0046.jpg  

Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:51 PM   #4

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
We use to take our 20lb Main Coon cat when we had our 36' three slide 5er. But after we got our Scamp we started leaving him at home.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:54 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
There are a few members here who have cats they travel with and many of them walk them around on leashes.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:38 PM   #6

Nova Scotia
Registry
Thanks folks. I'm glad to hear some have successful camps - a leash would be a good idea for sure. Rick and I plan to see if Chloe will take to one. Hope so - I've seen a pretty funny video of a cat on youtube who decided their legs don't work when a harness is snapped on.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:43 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Every cat has its own personality.

We have friends who have a 22 pound long haired gray cat who responds well to a leash and has camped for years with them. It has its own folding chair and sits quietly around the campfire with the group. It is friendly and responds well to everyone, to the point of having celebrity status.

We once had a cat (Siamese)which was mean and stupid, hated even the people who fed it and tried to escape at every chance!
I sure wish we had taken it on a camping trip several hundred miles from home!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:04 PM   #8

Name: Jim
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 foot
New Mexico
We travel with 3 cats and have for years. They are 19 yrs old, 16 yrs old, and about 8. They are not leash/harness
trained. We purchased a collapsible cat tent off Amazon (ABO Gear Happy Habitat) and they love to spend time in it at campsites. We have a 13' Scamp and have taken them to Alaska, as well as many other thousands of miles.

Cindy and Jim
Jim in Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:34 PM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Just got back from FL with 3 cats who went with us.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:00 AM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
We once had a cat (Siamese)which was mean and stupid, hated even the people who fed it and tried to escape at every chance!
I sure wish we had taken it on a camping trip several hundred miles from home![/QUOTE]

Good one Floyd, I had one cat of many that would have fit that trip too.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:43 AM   #11

Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Registry
Mookie-wilson travels with us everywhere we go and has been from coast to coast here in Canada. We organize EggFestOntario every May and MW is always in attendance to supervise. We too have a collapsible canvas cage for him if there is too much activity around, otherwise he enjoys sitting outside meeting other campers on his lead. When he's had enough he heads to the boler door and loudly asks to go in for his nap! His god-parents live in Nova Scotia so this Ontario cat has to head that way now and then. In the car, he lies in the back seat and whines off and on because he doesn't much care for the car ride getting anywhere, but once there settles right in.
Attached Thumbnails
2013 08 15 Mook enjoys the view.jpg  
Vivian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:49 AM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
As CindyL noted, we now travel with 3 cats. They are Munchkins (short legs), so they seem just right in the VT. They are not leash-trained and never go outside. They travel well in our VW Eurovan, sharing time between their pet carriers and free range roaming in the back. We have a van litter box and a trailer litter box, so we don't have to transfer one when we stop to camp. I only transfer their food and water. It is interesting sharing space with them in the trailer, but they settle down well. Our biggest concern is stopping too long for lunch when it's hot, so we keep lunch times short on the road. We also always run our trailer AC/vent in the warmer temps to keep the air cool in the trailer while we are off sightseeing. We just got back from 12 days to s. Florida and things went very well. If we do need a motel stop, we stay at LaQuinta Inns since they are one of the few chains that allows cats.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:07 AM   #13

Nova Scotia
Registry
Hearing some positive stories - thanks for sharing - Chloe may just get a harness and lead for a trial camp this summer - we will be super careful!!

I like the picture of Mookie-Wilson! What part of Nova Scotia do you visit?
Old 01-11-2015, 07:59 AM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTrillium View Post
Hearing some positive stories - thanks for sharing - Chloe may just get a harness and lead for a trial camp this summer - we will be super careful!!

I like the picture of Mookie-Wilson! What part of Nova Scotia do you visit?
We have friends just outside of Halifax, in Kingston, near Sable River, in Truro and Tatamagouche. One of our favourite campgrounds is just outside of Tat.
Pauls favourite Coconut Cream Pie is in New Brunswick on the way down to NS, so we have travelled that way a lot. Unfortunately we don't go too far from home right now due to health issues but some of our eastern friends come to EggFest in Grafton in May so we still get to see them.

If there are dogs running around or a lot of machinery etc Mookie either goes in his pop-up cage or inside the trailer. We almost lost him in Quebec once when a loud crashing noise sent him into a tizzy and he was out of his harness and gone in seconds. Fortunately after an hour search we discovered him hidden (black cats can hide very nicely) under a pile of lumber. So yes, we are very careful when he is out on his harness. I usually get him out for a "stretch" when I get up early in the morning before anyone else is out and about, again being very careful and never far from the trailer.

We take a few peanuts in the shell if we are in the provincial parks, put him in his cage and spread the peanuts out for chipmunks or red squirrels a few feet away to keep him occupied but not close enough to scare the wild-life.

Happy camping and we hope Chloe enjoys the experience. Mookie was 4 when we rescued him, so we didn't get a chance to start him young which is the best way. By the way if Chloe doesn't like the car travel part, there is an herbal tincture that helps calm them down. Our previous cat hated the car part and used to drool and hyperventilate, so we went that route and combined with short trips for the first few, it worked.
Vivian
Old 01-11-2015, 08:18 PM   #15

Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
Virginia
We plan on taking our cat in our travels, but are trying to figure where to put the litter box. Not really a good place that's out of the way. She was a feral cat that showed up at our place, then had a bunch of kittens in the barn. We had to catch her in a live animal trap to take her to get fixed, she was that wild. Then next winter we were feeding her in the shop, and the next winter she was in the house sitting on our laps. Now that's her favorite place to lay.

Stan
Stan and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:08 AM   #16

Registry
Because we made the dining table into a permanent bed (we turned the front couch into a 3-way table for 2/couch/bunk beds) in our 13' boler, we just cleared out a spot right at the front area under the bed for the litter box. Mookie-wilson manages just fine there. Our tow vehicle is a Subaru Forester, so the travel box rides in the back hatch area, but in our other car, we have a smaller travel litter box that rides in the rear seat wheel-well.
We used to put the box outside when he was out there, but since he is so good at letting us know when he wants in, we just leave it inside. If we have our pop-up dining tent set up and pegged down and he is going to be outside all day, then we might put it out there.
Good luck and happy camping.
Attached Thumbnails
bed with extension shoved in underneath.jpg   2007 bolerama our boler inside.jpg  

Old 01-12-2015, 08:10 AM   #17

Registry
PS: Good job with the feral cat. That can be a real challenge. Our old fellow was an abandoned that we rescued so although he was very skittish in the beginning, he adapted really quickly.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:45 AM   #18

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
My 19-yr. old Manx has travelled everywhere with me. He doesn't seem to mind being on the road and he certainly appears to enjoy all the loving attention he gets when we arrive.

I drive an Escape and with a portion of the back seat laying down, a good-sized dog crate sits very well there. All Bobby's 'comfort's of home' are in the crate...his food, water, bed and a smaller litter box. This helps to keep the bits and pieces of litter, food, etc from scattering throughout the vehicle. And it means I don't have to worry about him inadvertantly slipping out when I stop for gas or getting under the driver's seat to come crawling out under-foot when I'm driving. He resisted a little when I first set up this alternative to his having free rein of the car but he has got use to it now and sleeps comfortably while I drive. Or sometimes he just sits up and watches out the windows.

Bobby was already an senior cat when he started travelling with me. I felt he had got to old to be left at home in a kennel or with a cat-sitter. I worried about his health while I was away so decided we'd try this and he seems quite content to just be along.

I tow a 4500 Trillium with a front dinette so the bed is made up permanently. Bobby's litter-box in kept out of sight (and smell) under the street-side bench, under the bed. Fortunately, I have an outsde access door to this area and can attend to daily cleaning from the outside. The drop-down hatch on the inside keeps it accessible to Bobby.

Since I am often travelling by myself, having my cat along for company and entertainment adds to my pleasure immensely. He never argues, loves to snuggle at bedtime and is just about the perfect companion.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1669.jpg   IMG_0779.jpg  

Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote