Are rear-view mirrors a thing of the past? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2018, 07:45 AM   #41

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
That all makes PERFECT sense where regular mirrors and electric cams can work together which is what I do. But I read others posting on here blasting saying "what happens if?" meaning if the camera quits- which makes NO sense to me!

These same people will take their vehicle that runs on a "computer" (ECU)- not to mention the other tons of "electronic equipment"- and travel literally THOUSANDS of miles at speeds 70 mph through dangerous traffic, through ALL hours of the night in places never traveled etc., not thinking "what if these ELECTRONIC GADGETs or computer quits?". So based on the opinions of the HIGH risk of using backup cameras, wouldnt you be better off to stick with the "basics" and go with a horse and buggy???

That's what I'm reading out of alot of posts on here. wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveGP View Post
I saw a video of the recent announcement of next-gen pickups from GMC, that will be shipping this year. The rear-view mirror has a feature for when you have a load in the bed that blocks the view out the back window. When you flip the switch, the whole mirror turns into a display that shows the view from a camera mounted on the back of the truck. The perspective/field of view is similar to what you normally see in the mirror.

That's a case where I think the camera is an improvement.

The pickup also supports a camera mounted on the trailer, and has a plug (separate from the seven-pin) for connecting it. I don't know if the truck is smart enough to display the trailer cam view on the rear view mirror.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:12 AM   #42

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
john when tenting in Europe I was constantly amazed at the Mercedes being used for tugs there! like an amg pulling a trailer!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:42 AM   #43

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
... So based on the opinions of the HIGH risk of using backup cameras, wouldn't you be better off to stick with the "basics" and go with a horse and buggy??? ...
Horses can colic or break a leg, buggy spokes and rims can break. I guess all travelers face peril in one way or another!! So what the heck, I'll take my chances using an "old fashioned" mirror. That said, my wife says she wants a back-up camera in her next car, and that's cool...
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:15 PM   #44

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
BUT, with a horse & buggy...you still wont have an "electronic failure" .

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Horses can colic or break a leg, buggy spokes and rims can break. I guess all travelers face peril in one way or another!! So what the heck, I'll take my chances using an "old fashioned" mirror. That said, my wife says she wants a back-up camera in her next car, and that's cool...
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote