Are rear-view mirrors a thing of the past? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2018, 08:39 PM   #1

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Are rear-view mirrors a thing of the past?

Concept cars are showing up at auto shows with what appear to be rear-facing cameras where there used to be mirrors (see link to Subaru Viziv below as example). Not sure if there are multiple monitors in various locations in the cockpit, or if there is some 180 degree panoramic rear view monitor in the dash. It will be interesting to see where this goes....
https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/s...ourer-concept/
Just hope you don't blow the camera fuse on the LA freeway during rush hour traffic!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:36 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Unfortunately a lot of these techy items, some of which can be great secondary tools, are dumbing down younger drivers IMHO. Can't remember once having my mirrors short out .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I don't necessarily agree with the dumming down. For some vehicles, not necessarily these sporty cars, it is an essential feature. My class A had a fill-time rear camera which was about 130 degrees. It really helped supplement the side mirrors and was a savior changing lanes for back-in spots. Some have side cameras that come on with the turn signals so you can check your blind spot.

Not needed so much with the PU and Campster. The rearview mirror work fine with my current setup.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:58 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Been using my mirrors for 50 years. Would take me that long, at least, to switch to looking at a monitor.
Glance in the mirror, shoulder check, lane change.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:56 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
every time I get in a modern car and try and look out the back, I feel like I'm in a cave with tiny windows. I'm too used to the likes of a Volvo 740 wagon where there was 360 degree visibility with no blind spots, or a Mercedes 300E, ditto, tiny blind spots behind the C pillars, great visibility otherwise.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:08 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post
My class A had a fill-time rear camera which was about 130 degrees. It really helped supplement the side mirrors and was a savior changing lanes for back-in spots. Some have side cameras that come on with the turn signals so you can check your blind spot.
Thanks Dave, I said secondary and you used supplement, both in addition to mirrors as the main go to never fail items I was getting at. Maybe I should have been a little more clear on the dumbing down comment. Young/new drivers are being dealt a disservice by only having the tech items to depend on believing they are gospel and not learning basic automotive skills. Gees, I had a 18 y/o boy stop in front of my house with a flat tire. He didn't even know where to look for the spare, really, SMH. Changing a tire was the first thing I taught my daughters at 15 y/o and had them do it themselves .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:41 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
New and improved not better

Kind of like my 2011 Outback electronic parking brake. Only used one by the salesman at pick up. After 40K mi. it decided to light a brake fail light. $800 and a week later at the stealership, after the parking brake motor was replaced I still have only a parking brake. It is designed to release the parking brake when the car is placed in gear and starts to be in motion. Bottom line I have no emergency brake (Never had never will.). Several times in the past I have got back home or off the road using the emergency brakes after a brake failure.
Also, I could not buy the part and fix it myself because the new part had to be programmed into the cars computer. New and improved is not always better. $800 to the stealership for a non used item just out of warranty. Makes you wonder what is really programmed into the cars computer. Note: The car would not pass state inspection with the brake light illuminated.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:00 AM   #8

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Note: The car would not pass state inspection with the brake light illuminated.
Eddie
A pair of $1.00 wire cutters would fix the brake light being on!
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:15 AM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
my 1998 vw beetle

my rear hatch operates off a motor I have heard tales of the cost to get these fixed at 200k mine still works but I wonder what the ordeal will be when it does go out!

and do not dare take that car to a stealership!

bbo
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:57 AM   #10

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Note: The car would not pass state inspection with the brake light illuminated.
Eddie
Remove the bulb!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:04 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Rear-view mirrors can be hit/broken/knocked around and mine has literally fallen off the windshield. I still like and use them. I have a self-dimming one in my Toyota which is very nice with the onslaught of these OVER-powered LED headlights on the "monster" bully-trucks that like to ride your bumper these days.

BUT, I also have a rear-view camera on my Scamp. I have it installed (suction cup) to the inside rear window. Works WONDERFUL! I would not be without it now. With the camera inside, it's always protected. Notice that being in the "window" sets the camera up higher so I can see MUCH more than with it down on the "tag"...which wouldnt work for me on my Scamp anyway with it being over to one side.

So in all, with my inside rear-view mirror basically useless when I'm towing, I still see neither going away for some time...but then again..the way technology is LITERALLY flying in...who knows?

Here's my camera setup for anyone interested:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...57629562084569
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:30 AM   #12

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
This conversation reminds me of the introduction of GPS to the world of hiking in the woods. So many people needed to be rescued in the Adirondacks due to failed electronics, that they started charging hefty fees for search and rescue. Depending on gadgets is a bad way to go when the fundamentals are ignored. False confidence. Helpless people.

Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:56 AM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Rear view cameras to replace rearview mirrors? heck I expect big screen monitors to replace windshields! you could even choose the season or scenery to view as long as the traffic and the road was accurate!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:08 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Towing mirror goat rope averted

I wanted to put factory like towing mirrors on my 2015 Ram 1500. My truck has defrost and elec. adj. mirrors. I found a set of like factory towing mirrors for $185. They had my functions but they also had puddle lights and turn signals. To get the new functions to work I would have to go to the stealership to reprogram the window controllers in each door. Most dealers get $100 but I found one who would do it for $45. Then the big catch, since I had a Tradesman (work truck) they don't normally come with towing mirrors so the window controllers in each door can't be programmed for the extra mirror options. I will now have to buy two window controllers out of a higher grade truck to make the turn signal functions work. Again to pass state inspection if you have turn signal lights they must work.
I now get to keep my money now and not have any headaches. I will continue to use my slide on towing mirrors, they seem to work just fine now. I don't have to deal with Amazon, mirror vendor, stealership, junk yard and I'm sure several trips to the auto parts store. This started out as just a simple towing mirror install project.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:31 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Eddie, you make me want to keep my current vehicles forever! No fancy electronics or infotainment on either one beyond the mandatory stability control and ABS. Mechanical parking brakes and full-size spares.

Need to bookmark this conversation for times when I am tempted by the allure of a new vehicle.

I feel your pain. It's just unnecessary!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:40 PM   #16

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
I was going to say that driverless cars dont need rear view mirrors, but that option should be years away.
Wonder what is gonna happen to great metropolitan areas when a gang of Russians decides to hack auto software?
Old 03-08-2018, 06:21 PM   #17

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Thanks Dave, I said secondary and you used supplement, both in addition to mirrors as the main go to never fail items I was getting at. Maybe I should have been a little more clear on the dumbing down comment. Young/new drivers are being dealt a disservice by only having the tech items to depend on believing they are gospel and not learning basic automotive skills. Gees, I had a 18 y/o boy stop in front of my house with a flat tire. He didn't even know where to look for the spare, really, SMH. Changing a tire was the first thing I taught my daughters at 15 y/o and had them do it themselves .
Some of the spares are so hard to find even us older people have a hard time. Ours is under the vehicle instead of in the trunk like we grew up with. Then getting it down is a challenge with finding the right tool hidden in a compartment with a hidden door almost inside the rear side compartments. Then finding the hole to put the tool in and the spot underneath to let the tire down is another problem. Now we just have an auto service to help unless we are in a location that they don't come to. So some younger people may not know where the tire and tools are. They still do need to know though. I can change a tire but getting it out from under the vehicle may be a problem.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:34 PM   #18

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post
I don't necessarily agree with the dumming down. For some vehicles, not necessarily these sporty cars, it is an essential feature. My class A had a fill-time rear camera which was about 130 degrees. It really helped supplement the side mirrors and was a savior changing lanes for back-in spots. Some have side cameras that come on with the turn signals so you can check your blind spot.

Not needed so much with the PU and Campster. The rearview mirror work fine with my current setup.
A class A almost needs a camera unless you can see the back window through the rearview mirror if so equipped and if it has a wide view lens on the window. The one we had did. Even our class C could use a camera. We put a wide view lens on it and found out the lens almost caused a fire. We found a hole burned in the day/night blinds when it was new. So we made the dealer give us a new one because we thought someone had burned it with a cigarette while it was on the lot. Then we found a hole in the new one. We are thinking of getting a rear view camera for it. We are taking off the wide view lens. We have a Yukon to pull the Casita and it is big enough that you can see the back of the trailer with the mirrors. It has a backup camera in the rear view mirror and it drives me crazy sometimes since I've used mirrors for 47 years to back up. Guess it is what you are taught when younger.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:37 PM   #19

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
thats another thing I like about my early 1990s Mercedes E's... full sized standard spare on the same alloy rims as the 4 wheels. on the sedans and coupes, its under the rug in the trunk, on the wagons which have a 3rd row seat, its on one side behind a hinged interior panel, along with a rather complete tool roll.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:12 PM   #20

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Remove the bulb!
Any modern dashboard that I have had apart was printed circuitboard with non-replaceable LED lights. The days of replaceable bulbs in the warning lights is just about gone. And if there is a removable bulb, it should be replaced with a burned out one so nobody will know it was tampered with.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote