Are Travel Trailers RVs? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-07-2018, 09:39 AM   #21

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Well, I haven't enjoyed a science class so much in a long time. Thanks all, and especially Mark, Mary and Jon.

Walt
Old 05-07-2018, 09:44 AM   #22

Name: Wendy
Trailer: ‘14 Casita 17 SD
Florida
I think what we aren’t are motor homes.

Wendy
WendyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:52 AM   #23

Name: GG
Trailer: Bigfoot
Illinois
Comes a point in life when one should outgrow envy/embarrassment, embrace existing gifts, accept others for who/what they are, and move along. As the saying goes: size doesn't matter, it's what you do with what you have. Life is as good as you see it. ;-)
Recycle...ride your bike again.
oldsgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:54 AM   #24

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If my Scamp is NOT a "Recreational Vehicle", then why do I have to buy "Vehicle" tags for it?? So, in my mind (and by law), it IS a "vehicle" and it is most CERTAINLY "recreational"! Yep...it's an RV.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:54 AM   #25

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Most places I go are public campgrounds and people reserve whatever site they want, so you never know what you'll get. I remember one time at the beach the first night there was a vintage VW camper between us and the ocean view, but the second night it was replaced by a huge, view-blocking toyhauler.

(To be clear, our Scamp and the toyhauler are both travel trailers and all three- Scamp, toyhauler, and VW camper- are recreational vehicles ).

Often, but not always, the no-hook-up sites are more spacious with greater separation from your neighbors, whatever stripe of recreational vehicle or camping equipment they might be using.

I appreciate reservation systems that give you a photo of your campsite. That, combined with a map, can often help you pick a site that has a decent view of what brought you there in the first place.

But even if not, I have legs. With the toyhauler blocking the ocean view from our site, I grabbed my folding chair and my coffee and carried it to the beach.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:09 AM   #26

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I appreciate reservation systems that give you a photo of your campsite. That, combined with a map, can often help you pick a site that has a decent view for what brought you there in the first place. ...
When reserving at a campground I have not been to before, I use the description and photos of the site provided by the campground (state park, etc,), Google Earth, and:
https://www.campsitephotos.com/

The latter does not cover all campgrounds but for the ones they do, they usually have different photos of the site, and sometimes a list of preferred sites.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:34 AM   #27

Name: Sheila
Trailer: 1972 Boler
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Sheila, next time ask to be put between two tear drop trailers...you will then be the big guy!
That would be funny if it wasn't so damn annoying!!
Sheilaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:16 AM   #28

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK Evenson View Post
I have had my Casita since Sept. I stay in RV parks 99% of the time. I subscribe to RVtravel.com, I am a Good Sam member. I am an active member here and on the Casita and Scamp forums.

It seems to me that RVs by definition are recreational vehicles. It also seems to me that Travel trailers are recreational vehicles, but those of us with travel trailers are not known as RVers. Generally speaking other than size, construction techniques and materials , and the fact that Unitized Recreational Vehicles ( that being a vehicle used for sleeping in, eating in, etc and being self propelled, not towed) our equipment is the same. More to the point we generally use our TT or URV ( unitized recreational vehicle) for the same purpose.

I get the feeling that owners of TT and owners of RVs, when walking thru an RV park greet each other the same without regard or knowledge of which vehicle the other came out of.

I do not like being placed in an RV site, with a gigantic class A on either side of my Big Casita 17'er. Most managers of RV sites know this and try to place the smaller TTers by themselves.

So, for practical purposes, are travel trailers RVs?

Mark
Mark,

You're over thinking this; have another cocktail and it'll become clear.

(Mary, you're exactly right)

bill (not laura)
Old 05-07-2018, 02:34 PM   #29

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Taxonomy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
We need someone with taxonomy skills.
Iowa Dave
----------------------------------------------------

You gonna stuff some animals ? ? David in Fresno and Sonora
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:49 PM   #30

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
You gonna stuff some animals ? ?
You're thinking of taxidermy.
Rumline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:06 PM   #31

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Some campgrounds do put the big guys off by themselves. Some will also segregate RVer's from tent campers.

Perhaps if you ask for a 30 amp site you may at least be near smaller sized RVers.

Also most campgrounds will have quiet hours, which restrict the use of generators.

There are also campgrounds that restrict the type of RV, that is, Airstreams only, Motorhomes only, vintage only.

You can always boondock/dry camp on public property if you don't want to be around any Rvers at all. Unless, of course, somebody pulls in next to you...
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:57 PM   #32

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
Mark,

You're over thinking this; have another cocktail and it'll become clear.

(Mary, you're exactly right)

bill (not laura)
There is a reason for my madness (overthinking) this question was stimulated by a request from the owner/publisher of an on-line RV publication. His thought was to figure out how to make his publication better? In this publication, RARELY are travel trailers mentioned, specifically. There is a wealth of info for all of us including safety issues, electricity , propane etc etc. My letter to the editor was basically saying, "why not open up to folks who own TTers, in fact why not invite us to participate in your RV news.
I am gaining ammunition and it would seem from the response here, giving the community something else to think about.

Thank you all for your comments. I love it when we all get together, Now where is my Guinness

Mark?
Old 05-07-2018, 04:47 PM   #33

Name: Reino
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
In a manner of speaking

Motorized vehicles on the highway are a means to travel. They get you from here to there. When recreation is my destination my Scamp is a vehicle to get me there whether I move it or not.
Vanhamies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:21 PM   #34

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
There are even RV "campgrounds" that won't accept rigs as small as most of ours.
I can only thank them.

Walt
Old 05-08-2018, 04:06 AM   #35

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
From one who spends time on taxonomy...what's in a name

Just a quick and dirty "concept" of the taxonomy of man-made things regarding RVs.

LOL

I spend a lot of time updating names in the master New World bat database as DNA research is showing more complex levels of what the critters really are across North, Central, and South America. Conceivably the"genus" could arguably be elevated to family level with more subdivisions below.

Bat Dude

Old 05-08-2018, 06:38 AM   #36

Name: Ken
Trailer: None
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatDude View Post
Just a quick and dirty "concept" of the taxonomy of man-made things regarding RVs.

LOL

I spend a lot of time updating names in the master New World bat database as DNA research is showing more complex levels of what the critters really are across North, Central, and South America. Conceivably the"genus" could arguably be elevated to family level with more subdivisions below.

Bat Dude
Are you saying if we keep discussing this we are batty?

I wonder if that word is even used anymore.
I'd ask my niece but I imagine she would just roll her eyes.
Kenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:26 AM   #37

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm guessing it has fallen out of favor as offensive to the bat research community...

I remember seeing Dennis the Menace standing at Mr. Wilson's front door asking, "May I see your belfry? My mom says there are bats in it."
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:26 AM   #38

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
YES!
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:36 AM   #39

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
YES!
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:00 PM   #40

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Batman...uh....Bat Dude, where does Airstream fit in? Not stick built, not fiberglass.

Maybe I should withdraw this question. If you put it under stick built, and the AS horde find out, you may become Dead Dude, or Wingless Bat Dude, or...

What is a wingless bat anyway?

Now don't be haten' on me, just trying to be of assistance...

By the way I lived in Roscommon, MI through high school.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote