ARMADILLO - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2019, 10:08 PM   #1

Name: todd
Trailer: ARMADILLO
Arizona
ARMADILLO

Hi,
I'm brand new to the group.....just bought a new Armadillo up in B.C.
Any Armadillo owners out there that have brought theirs into the U.S. ???
Thanks,
Todd
todd k. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 12:00 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to the forum, Todd!

Beautifully built trailer, the Armadillo. Congratulations! I’m not aware of any others in Arizona, at least. How about some pictures?
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:48 AM   #3

Arizona
No photos yet as it's still up in B.C.
We will have the unit in Oregon.
Todd
Old 12-19-2019, 07:30 AM   #4

Arizona
Registry
Ah. Your profile says Arizona. You are a seasonal resident then, or just a mistake?
Old 12-19-2019, 07:32 AM   #5

Arizona
Seasonal
Old 12-19-2019, 01:58 PM   #6

Name: mike
Trailer: CASITA
New York
Welcome to the forum!! when you pick it up post some pictures
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 02:02 PM   #7

Arizona
Will do!
I was hoping another Armadillo owner could share info. about paperwork and the border?
There are a lot of posts on the topic so I'm learning .
Todd
Old 12-19-2019, 02:46 PM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Armadillo will provide everything you need. I believe that's a bill of sale, manufacturer certificate of origin, and a sticker on the trailer verifying compliance with US DOT requirements (or letter indicating same).

It's a straightforward process, but it does require obtaining an import form at the border from US Customs. That, plus the certificate of origin and bill of sale, will allow you to register the trailer when you get it home.
Old 12-19-2019, 03:02 PM   #9

Arizona
Thanks Jon.
They don't provide a Certificate of Origin because it's a " UBILT" trailer. That is to say produced one at a time for a owner vrs. " mass producing".
No DOT sticker...several posts, as you say, indicate strongly with no DOT sticker you need a letter from the manufacture stating that the unit meets DOT standards , on their letterhead etc. etc.Yes I need to get a the bill of sale with certain verbage. A paid in full invoice doesn't cut it.
The guys are great at Armadillo. They report never hearing a peep out of all the folks that have taken there units to the U.S., yet their " stock " package of paper work does not include some of these documents??????
Todd
Old 12-19-2019, 04:08 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Very nice trailer, well thought out.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 07:56 AM   #11

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd k. View Post
Will do!

I was hoping another Armadillo owner could share info. about paperwork and the border?

There are a lot of posts on the topic so I'm learning .

Todd
You might try searching the forum membership for an Armadillo owner in the US. There’s a way to do it (using the community menu, I think), but I can’t remember exactly how. Send an e-mail or private message.

Failing that, could Armadillo put you in contact with someone?
Old 12-28-2019, 11:47 AM   #12

Name: dust in
Trailer: Boler Trailer
British Columbia
I am a Boler owner (73)....toured through lower BC this last summer and dropped into the Armadillo Factory for a wee visit as I have been following their developments since I first heard of this New Boler design that is being manufactured in Armstrong , BC....met up with the owner and got to see the production team in action...must admit I was very impressed with the 4 trailers on the floor being work on all near in a finished state ...but the care each person attacked their job and the form fitting of how they approached a good fit....all that and then seeing first hand up close all the wonderful features...just an amazing compact , colourful well thought out little unit...also love the fact they have kept with the two piece shell design of the Boler and how they took great care in designing the door that fits nice and snug. Over all I was very impressed with the trailer , the team, their integrity ..its very tempting but the 73 works just fine for my needs at this time.
dust-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 03:45 PM   #13

Name: Randal
Trailer: ITM
British Columbia
https://www.armadillotrailers.net/
RandyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 02:57 PM   #14

Name: Ervin
Trailer: Moby 1 Teardrop
Oregon
Went up to BC IN Oct and looked at several trailers, including touring the Escape Trailer facility and the Armadillo plant. Looked at Bigfoots and the Alto by Safari. Loved the 17b Escape for all over features, build quality, options etc. Yet have to admit the Armadillo was amazing, great use of space, build quality, different fabrics, etc. Love their new Backpack model with the front window and more square shape. I guess I struggle at the price, yet you get what you pay for. The owners made it sound like it was easy to import. I am in Portland, love to keep in touch with how the process goes for you; and how you like the trailer.
Ervin in Portland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:03 PM   #15

Arizona
We will head north in a few weeks.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:02 PM   #16

Trailer: Boler
As a former Boler owner I really like the Armadillo version - would love to see their new 14' version (6" longer in the nose). It looks like they are very innovative and quality conscious. I'm wondering if they could incorporate custom features in a build - any of you that have visited them have an opinion on that? I'm beginning to realize that my 17' Escape is too big for my needs and I'm looking to downsize.

Specifically I would like to have a pull out tray to mount my 45 quart Engel fridge/freezer on instead of the standard RV refrigerator. These fridge freezers typically draw 1.5 amps or less and can be run off a single solar cell/ 12V battery setup.
Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:29 PM   #17

British Columbia
The boys at Armadillo are very conscientious from what I saw...they focus on details and make every thing fit with out compromise . The owner said that they can customize as to customer request working with in the envelope they have to work with... of course...So if your request is doable they can make it happen...The owners are very approachable to an idea change if its reasonable...I would give them a call or if you can go visit them in Armstrong, BC. The owners are very knowledgable and have much experience in this business of trailers. If I were looking for a replacement or upgrade from my 72 Boler I would invest in their product. They are on the leading edge in innovations from what I could see...All the best.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:49 PM   #18

Arizona
We leave Th. to go up and bring ours across the border. The border is my big concern right now.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:13 PM   #19

British Columbia
Hello wondering as I am a little confused but are you going up this January 2020.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:37 PM   #20

Arizona
Yes, we leave Arz. to go up into B.C. next Thursday to bring the Armadillo back to Oregon where it will be kept.

Tags
armadillo