attaching awning rail - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2018, 09:20 AM   #1

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
attaching awning rail

Hi--I am in the process of sewing an awning for our driver's side window. This presently has one of the now-extinct Fantastic Fan window vents on it. It works really well, allowing us to keep the window open when it is raining but the air flow is greatly diminished when it is being used. We are hoping that by making an awning, we can keep the window wide open thereby getting much improved airflow.

The question I am asking is this---what kind of adhesive have others used to securely bond the pvc awning rail to the fibreglass so that I don't have to drill any holes?

We will slide the awning in and out as needed. But the rail will remain in place, so it has to be secure while driving.

Thanks!!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:34 AM   #2

Name: joe
Trailer: burro 1982
Tennessee
aening adhesive

I made an awning 7 ft long for my Burro. I ordered my rail from Sailrite.com. Sailrite recommended using screws. Stubborn me; I also did not want to drill holes. I ended up using a two part J B Weld epoxy that I bought at Auto Zone. I got the one that says on the package for plastics and fiberglass. It is holding really great. I recently returned from a winter long trip west to Calif. I boondocked the whole way. I also was in Quartzite in January. Get some terrific winds there. My home sewn awning ripped in one place but the kedar rail never budged. I did lightly sand the area on the fiber glass and the back of the kedar rail before applying the adhesive. Sailrite corp did advise me to shape the kedar rail first with heat from a hair dryer if it is to follow any curve. Mine was just straight. Good luck. Joe
Old 04-05-2018, 11:35 AM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
I added a 7 1/2 foot section of the extruded aluminum Keder rail on the curb side of my trailer when I got rid of the miserable Fiama awning that I never liked. When I mounted my rail, I marked it out for leveling and drilled holes in it and the trailer shell to mount it with 1/4" X 20 stainless steel machine screws with s/s washers and ny-lock nuts, along with a bead of Sika-Flex in the holes and under the railing itself. I bolted mine on about every foot of its length, and within an inch of each end. All the screws and nuts are inside the upper cabinetry, so nothing shows inside the trailer. Obviously, this is geared up to support a much larger awning than what you propose to install over your windows. If you are adamant about not drilling any holes, I would suggest using VHB tape, (very high bond.) It is available at most auto parts stores, boat shops, and Amazon, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Keder Rail2.JPG  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:13 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
I used the stuff they glue windshields in cars with before on an awning rail...easy to do. You can buy a cartridge of it at and auto body supply store or napa.
If you think it won't hold get in your car and try to kick out the windshield.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:04 PM   #5

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
I used the tape 3M VHB RP25, for outdoor and is resistant to UV, to fix my solar panel 100 watts on the roof of my trailer, it's been 3 seasons and no problem.

Another member told me he used this method for his trailer awning and that it was already a few years without any problem.

Especially that you are only when you are parked.

I followed his instructions and everything is fine:

I understand that this is the kind of installation you want to do.
No perforation, everything is glued, with 3M VHB RP25 ribbon.
When you take the road, you remove pipe and canvas.

The one who made me follow these photos, explained to me that in the horizontal pipe, he inserted a copper pipe so that it stays straight :
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4110 (1).jpg   IMG_4111.jpg  

IMG_4147.jpg   IMG_4155.jpg  

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:26 PM   #6

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
Window Awnings

Gilles, Where did you get the photos of the window awnings? I'm trying to figure out what the webbing straps are attached to as they don't show up in the other photos. I'm looking to make these with the Keder rail attached with 3M VHB tape, probably 4950.

Thanks.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:09 PM   #7

Registry
Hi Barb---Gilles has shown EXACTLY what I am hoping to make!! You have asked questions that I, too, was going to ask him.
But...I'd also like to know what that disc attachment is on the side of the trailer? Obviously it hold the pvc tubing but what is it and where was it purchased.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:15 PM   #8

Registry
And thanks to all who have chimed in. Seems there are lots of different ways to attach this style of awning. Wouldn't it be so much easier if the manufacturers got on the bandwagon and made side awnings either standard or at least, an option?
Old 04-05-2018, 06:30 PM   #9

Registry
Woohoo!!! I found it! After zooming in on the disc in Gilles' photos, I saw YKK on it. They make the zippers I use. On their website, turns out they make lots more than just zippers!

The disc is a part of a snap system called a SNAD. To my eye, it appears that the one used in the photo was the stud piece. Depending on what size piping one chooses to use, they offer 2 sizes, either 25 or 40 mm.

I am totally stoked to find these! Prior to this, my best idea was the use of a suction cup to stabilize the pvc tubing.

Now, once I make the final decision on what adhesive I'll use (any other ideas, people??) then it'll be time to put it all into action.

Thanks again!
Old 04-05-2018, 06:53 PM   #10

British Columbia
Registry
YKK & Awnings

Hi Theresa,
I see you found the YKK label on those thingies. I have so many projects underway for my trailer right now. New mattresses with custom fitted sheets are done. Plans and supplies ready for creating a solar screen for 2 sides of the big awning. And of course these window awnings. Also purchased aluminum 'eyebrows' for over the 2 side opening windows too that I will be attaching with that 3M VHB 4950 tape. Boy that stuff is expensive! Same stuff as what the fellow in the video shows about mounting the solar panel, so it should work. Also purchased gutters for around each window - from about 15" from the bottom of each side of the windows and then over the top.

This was before I saw the possibility of the window awnings! Mostly want the awnings so I can keep the windows open when it rains. So I'll be creating something that is light coloured as I like to have light as Donna Dee says. I will be making Reflectix friction fit or Velcro panels for the inside of each window too. I gave up on the idea of installing a mini-split air conditioner for this trip. It usually doesn't get that hot out here, but when we went to the Arctic it was uncomfortably hot some nights in the Yukon and NWT.

Let me know how you make out with your awning ideas. We can compare in Winnipeg?!!
Barb
Old 04-05-2018, 07:18 PM   #11

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
I have had GREAT success with RM45 3M double sided tape after cleaning and prepping both the trailer and the vinyl rail with 1000 grit and 3M adhesion promoter. I used it on my small window awnings and my 10'x12' rope and pole awning with no failure even in high wind. I do suggest going at least 6 inches past each side of the window to prevent water intrusion. The vinyl awning rail should be the 1.5 inch wide stuff and should be heated in a pot of boiling water and bent to fit around the contours where needed for the best performance. The supports are FURNITURE GRADE PVC pipe with slip fit on fittings and suction cups - no drilling EVER on my trailer.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:22 PM   #12

Central Virginia
[/IMG]
Old 04-05-2018, 07:23 PM   #13

Central Virginia
Old 04-05-2018, 08:12 PM   #14

British Columbia
Registry
Thanks for this Bryan, and the photos. Are those bungees hooked into your belly band from the awnings? I didn't know there was such a thing as furniture grade PVC! Where did you purchase your vinyl awning rail? I've only seen aluminum around here. Are the suction cups the type that lock on?
Are you coming to the 50th Anniversary in Winnipeg in August?
Old 04-06-2018, 04:56 AM   #15

Registry
Hello Bryan---thanks for the great info plus great photos! Barb and I are both making similar projects and yes, I also wish to know where you purchased your supplies.

Your awnings are fantastic and exactly what I am planning to make. If you also would kindly share the info on the suction cups, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Love your theme! Especially the window boxes. Those truly finish it off!!
Old 04-06-2018, 04:58 AM   #16

Registry
And Bryan, we LOVE our Anderson leveller, too. Plus it matches your red and white theme and looks terrific.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:19 AM   #17

Central Virginia
Ebay was the source for the suction cups - I think it was suctioncups4u was the seller - they have a threaded metal shank that I screwed into an endcap fitted to the PVC. The awning rail came from an internet seller Sailrite in Washington as well as the vinyl welting that sews into the material. The furniture grade PVC came from an online greenhouse company - it is what is used to make those clear plastic greenhouses you see everywhere. It is stronger than normal PVC by far and has no lettering on it and stays shiny - they sell all the fittings. Just slip fit them together - no glue needed for easy take down and transport. I will sell the awnings pictured (Casita ID or Liberty) as I have re-worked them in a different material. These were sewed by an upholstery shop and the next set was sewn by a seamstress. I suggest a seamstress for better work at better prices. I have since switched to ripstop nylon material and the ones pictured are outdoor fabric - sunbrella I think. I will not be at the 50th - wish I could but I still work. I will be at the OH gathering, Eggfest Ontario, King of the Wild Frontier, Hudson River Rally, etc... https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-2-3-8-USA...cAAOxyY3ZRwjeR https://www.sailrite.com/Awning-Track-Flanged-White-96 https://www.sailrite.com/Awning-Rope-Vinyl-3-8 http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...vc-inner-cap/s http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...pe-59-length/s http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...-pvc-fitting/s
Old 04-06-2018, 08:58 AM   #18

Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbinBC View Post
Gilles, Where did you get the photos of the window awnings? I'm trying to figure out what the webbing straps are attached to as they don't show up in the other photos. I'm looking to make these with the Keder rail attached with 3M VHB tape, probably 4950.

Thanks.
I had these pictures by chance, of someone who had had a Florida technician do it for the boats.
If you look at photo # 3, the press for the pipe is positioned higher than the one in photo # 4.
So if the need to install a strap, to counter the winds, you can add cupping a little lower, as shown in photo # 4.
I saw suckers that only hold up with suction, without adding 3M VHB tape.
I see that Bryan has a similar facility, maybe he can share his experience ..

For suction cups, there are several models, it is about ensuring the right, especially for those straps ...

https://www.google.ca/search?tbm=isc....0.2Xmi0OkGWKM
Old 04-06-2018, 09:56 AM   #19

Registry
Thanks Bryan, Gilles and everyone else! The links are much appreciated.

My plan was to use the leftover tent-weight ripstop nylon from a large sunshade that I made a few years ago, so that it all matches.

Sailrite has an excellent set of videos and tutorials for so many projects. I was quite impressed with their site.

Can't wait to get the supplies and get started!
Old 04-06-2018, 12:41 PM   #20

Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
Thanks Bryan, Gilles and everyone else! The links are much appreciated.

My plan was to use the leftover tent-weight ripstop nylon from a large sunshade that I made a few years ago, so that it all matches.

Sailrite has an excellent set of videos and tutorials for so many projects. I was quite impressed with their site.

Can't wait to get the supplies and get started!
You will show us when your project is finalized ...

Have a good day.

Tags
awning