Awning mats - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2009, 03:00 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
I have been searching online for a mat for outside the trailer. I have a 16' Scamp (I love it!), and was thinking a 12x9 mat would be good. My parents toted around a fake grass thing that was very heavy and cumbersom. I have also seen some out and about that tear easily where you stake them down. It's hard to tell quality when looking online, so I was wondering if any of you have a really good one, hopefully light weight with a carry bag, that you would recommend as I am new at this and you all seem to know everything I need to know

So, any suggestions and/or links would be appreciated!!
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:11 AM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Quote:
So, any suggestions and/or links would be appreciated!!
I got one of these on a whim last summer for our Big Trip. Dont know what brand it was, but I picked it up on a pass through here. You might want to contact them and see what brand they sell.

I like it, but it's pretty big. I fold mine, and store it under the table. I also managed to poke a big hole in it when I skewered it with a tapered pole while tossing the pole (javelin style) out the door. Uh...can't really blame the mat. Glad I didn't hit a kid!

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:27 AM   #3

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Monica,

I use the fake grass. It's the light green and comes either precut and packaged or most hardware stores carry it on a roll 6' wide. You can have it cut to length. Mines 6'x9'. Recently my hardware store had some heavier fake grass, a pretty dark green with a blue hue. I bought some not realizing until I got home that it really wouldn't fold and compress as much as I'd like it to. I went back to my old fake grass that I've been using for 7 years. I noticed on my last trip that my grass is getting a little thin but looks OK. I thought about the different mats that are available and pretty but they take up too much space.

I made a step for my trailer, just a box with a hinged lid. I store the mat, stakes, a kneeling pad and a small hammer in it. I used 1x6 pine and 1/4 inch plywood. Just screwed it together. It's about 18" wide by 12" deep and of course 6" high. I bought a small throw rug, cut it and contact cemented it to the top. I put handles on the ends that match my cabinet handles. I just simply set it inside the doorway when traveling. First thing I do when I stop is set the step out and enter the trailer. Serves two purposes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	128_2887.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	18942
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:12 AM   #4

Trailer: 2001 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I use one of those 6'x8' blue tarps for under $5, just stake it down with 4 long nails and washers. The tarp lasts nearly a year. If I'm on gravel, I don't bother putting it down. I also put an doormat in front of the door. The tarp takes up very little room when packed for the road.

https://shalyard.blogspot.com
Sebastian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:12 AM   #5

Trailer: 2001 Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Monica,
I went to Lowe's and bought a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet (yep the green turf stuff) and trimmed it to the size I wanted. Then, I used a propane torch to singe the edges so it doesn't ravel. Finally, I installed some grommets every few feet and I can stake it down over and over with no wear and tear on the carpet. It may be heavier than the premade mats (I don't really know) but it folds into a fairly small bundle and stores in the back of my truck with all the other necessities!
Fred
Fred Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:40 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Monica, if I remember correctly you like the more rustic campgrounds which you will find that all the suggestions above will work great for. But I just wanted to throw in that when in a resort, rv park or established campground that your site is grass, you may not be allowed to use any of the options as it kills the grass within hours. Even those supposed rv rugs that are intended to be used over grass may not be allowed. But again that's only for those sites that have grass at your door. I am with Sebastian on the blue tarp, cheap, lighweight, and cleanable! I tried the grass stuff, I don't have the patience to get all the pine needles, tree sap etc off before rolling up for take off. (just me!) I also tried the woven square type rug that you get at Pier One, too heavy for moving around. It was fine when we were in one place for the winter but wouldn't recommend for travel. Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:04 AM   #7

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I have an awning mat. I got mine from http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...category_ID=199 but they are available in a lot of places. If you can buy locally you might save a lot on shipping. Mine are 8x6 and 9x9 and I usually only use the 8x6.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:29 AM   #8

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
[quote]I made a step for my trailer, just a box with a hinged lid. [...] I just simply set it inside the doorway when traveling. First thing I do when I stop is set the step out and enter the trailer. Serves two purposes.

Attachment 18942

I love this!! But how do you keep it from slamming around during travel? Do you need to tie it down?
Old 03-30-2009, 11:44 AM   #9

Trailer: 2000 Northern Lite (The TARDIS)
Hi Monica,

We got one of the 6x9 sizes from here http://www.rvawningmats.com/ They come in many different sizes, colors and designs and we love ours.
Wayne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:39 PM   #10

All great ideas, I am going to have to get more handy! Installing rivets? Making way cool little boxes? I knew I was going to learn a lot, but not A LOT!!

I never would have considered pine needles and sap, that is why this is so helpful for me. Sounds dumb, but I am just not out there yet. The tarp sounds like it would be a good idea, as you can find them almost anywhere and it cleans easy and stakes down easy, folds easy and is light weight.

I have a feeling I will be buying more tools as it seems that once I get out and about, the ideas and necessities are going to be abundant. Over time I will as good at this as all of you!!

Thanks, and I am still watching the thread!! Tons of great ideas!
Old 03-30-2009, 01:41 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Monica, installing rivets is real easy. You can get a GROMMET KIT like this one at any fabric store. It is real easy to use.

I have been using a heaving rubber-backed outdoor carpet for years now. It is real tough, lays down good because of its weight, is super tough (it would take decades to wear out), and it looks real good. The downfall is its size stored, we roll it up and lay it on the floor of the trailer. It is really not to much in the way when just stopping for a short bit, and we always put it out when camped. The other drawback is that it does not breath so well.

As much as this carpet works great, we are going to look for one of the above mentioned light, breathable ones for our new trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:42 PM   #12

Registry
I just had a thought. Somewhere I have one of THESE matts that was given to me when we bought a new awning for our 24' Terry. I need to dig it out and check it out, it may just work fine for us.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-30-2009, 02:34 PM   #13

Quote:
I just had a thought. Somewhere I have one of THESE matts that was given to me when we bought a new awning for our 24' Terry. I need to dig it out and check it out, it may just work fine for us.
Wow! Those are really expensive, if you have one, for sure dig it up and use it!!
Old 03-30-2009, 02:53 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Wow! Those are really expensive, if you have one, for sure dig it up and use it!!
I know, I was actually surprised at the cost. Probably because it is distributed by Dometic. I had just bought a new awning (arms and all) from a local dealer, and when I picked it up they just said "Here, we are giving these out with an awning purchase". I think it is our at some rec land of ours in our trailer. I will be heading out there at Easter to bring it back to sell, and will take a good look at it then.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:37 PM   #15

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
We picked up a smaller patio mat from IKEA a few years ago. Great. Like the Patty O mats, you can sweep it, wash it down, hose it off, etc... lightweight, and rolls up to a very small bundle to stow when traveling. Probably 7 x 9 or something like that extended. Water runs through it. Never staked it down... Easy to roll up in a big wind.
I use an inexpensive welcome mat below the step as a walk off mat, and bought a wraparound spring mat at Wallyworld for the step for about $9. Works great. A few rugs inside... a small rug inside the door, and a six x 2 runner in the aisle. Makes cleaning easy. The washable rugs go to the laundromat once in awhile, go outside each day for a shake. Outside mats get a sweep daily. Hose em down once in awhile. I wear clogs at the camp site or hiking boots the rest of the day. No boots inside. Clogs go off at the door when I go in and sit on the mat. No mud inside. Makes life simpler.
Hope you enjoy your new camper!
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:19 PM   #16

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
My wife and I bought a bamboo mat that we saw in a department store a few years ago. It's very light, rolls up tight, and has been exceptionally durable. Best of all, it was SUPER CHEAP! I think we paid less than $20 for it. Fits under our Casita's owning perfectly.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:15 PM   #17

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
I love this!! But how do you keep it from slamming around during travel? Do you need to tie it down?

Daniel, I forgot to mention that I bought a rubber mat and bonded it to the bottom. It doesn't slide around. It just sits inside the doorway.

Monica, I've never had a problem with pitch on my mat and the leaves, needles etc just shake off. When it's too wet to handle and put in my box I simply stuff it in a big plastic bag and at the next stop put it out on the table. These grass mats dry quickly. I don't have grommets on the mat. I purchased mat nails that have what I would call large washers that they run through. They work fine for holding the mat down.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:32 PM   #18

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

We use a Reversible Patio Mat from Camping World. We don't stake it down, because we camp where there is asphalt paving. Robert is a potter, and he made what we call "Elephant's Feet" a thrown pot that is wider at the bottom than at the top. We filled it with plaster-of-paris and embedded an Awning anchor in the plaster. Holds both the awning arm and the patio mat in place.
Attached Thumbnails
B21_Front.jpg  
Old 03-31-2009, 01:30 AM   #19

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I recently bought a small 6x9 for around 40 bucks in Quartzite... because it has doggie paw prints on it and I got a carry bag from one of the craft vendors there for 10 bucks (I think.. maybe 15)

Until then, I used a Neat Sheet These are very durable and when they get too gungy (It takes a seaon) you toss or burn them and buy a fresh new one.

Oregon Gathering folks get replenished in their care package from Kimberly Clark yearly.

I CAN NOT recommend a Neat Sheet for those with puppies that have been pee pad trained.. you guessed it.. never mind.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:51 AM   #20

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I bought a set of weight plates to put on the legs of the awning... which in turn holds the front of the grass mat down. The back side is held in place by using the wheel chocks around both sides of the tire. Since there's four weight plates... made for the Quik Shade, I put two on each awning leg. It's not going to go anywhere! And, I got them at half-price at the end of camping season.

Quik Shade Weight Plates

Attached Thumbnails
132148_Weight_Plates.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote