Awnings anyone? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2016, 12:24 PM   #21

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Yes Floyd, I also tried several "methods" for sealing the gap, (i.e. pool noodles,, plastic angle strips, etc.) but it wasn't that they didn't seal the gap. It was all about creating a "frog pond" on the roof in that trough which was always a nasty mess.

I don't use a bag awning any more. I found them to be too heavy and hard to stow due to their length because of their having a rigid frame. I use a "rope and pole" soft awning, (other than when we set up the Clam,) that I can just roll and fold up when its not being used. Put it in the track and guy out the telescoping poles.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:28 PM   #22

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I'm guessing the gap is to give wind an exit and reduce the stress on the screws. That said we've had members install rope awnings with no issue.
I'm guessing that it is purely poor designing of the mounting system. Trying to make something work in an application it was never designed to be used in. And a rather poor attempt at that. These awnings are flat on their back sides, and for a reason. They were designed to be mounted to the vertical side of a trailer, not suspended up in the air like they do.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:29 PM   #23

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I solved the gap on a temporary basis. $2 worth of foam pipe insulation solved it for me and no "Frog Pond" as described by Casita Greg. Cut the foam to fit and only use it when it rains. Put in as needed when setting up. Remove for travel and storage. Done. Remember it doesn't have to be an either or situation.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:29 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
It was all about creating a "frog pond" on the roof in that trough which was always a nasty mess..
You simply adjust one support arm so that it is shorter than the other, creating a slope.
I also have a screen room that attaches to the awning.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen room.jpg  
Old 10-29-2016, 12:37 PM   #25

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You simply adjust one support arm so that it is shorter than the other, creating a slope.
I also have a screen room that attaches to the awning.
I don't think we're on the same page here Glenn. To my thinking, what you're talking about has no bearing on what I was talking about. It's not the awning fabric collecting or holding water that I was talking about. It's the actual body of the awning, (the hard part that it retracts into,) when sealed to the trailer's shell, that was causing the problem with debris and such building up behind it.

And yes Donna, I've done the "pool noodles" and "pipe foam insulation" tricks too, but I still didn't like those "solutions" either. It's just me I guess.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:43 PM   #26

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Yes Floyd, I also tried several "methods" for sealing the gap, (i.e. pool noodles,, plastic angle strips, etc.) but it wasn't that they didn't seal the gap. It was all about creating a "frog pond" on the roof in that trough which was always a nasty mess.

I don't use a bag awning any more. I found them to be too heavy and hard to stow due to their length because of their having a rigid frame. I use a "rope and pole" soft awning, (other than when we set up the Clam,) that I can just roll and fold up when its not being used. Put it in the track and guy out the telescoping poles.
No frog pond, no nasty mess, just a simple and permanent fix.

As for the bag awning, did you actually remove it between uses?
On my LoveBug, the bag awning was permanently installed and traveled well in place.(stowed of course)
Attached Thumbnails
06_30_1.jpg   06_30_0.JPEG  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:51 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
No frog pond, no nasty mess, just a simple and permanent fix.

As for the bag awning, did you actually remove it between uses?
On my LoveBug, the bag awning was permanently installed and traveled well in place.(stowed of course)
Actually Floyd, I "deconstructed" my original bag awning and just kept the awning fabric. I added a Keder welt strip along the fabric edge where I separated it from the bag awning frame and now I just slide it into the Keder rail track. I prefer this to the complete bag awning because I can just fold it up and it is much easier to stow. I couldn't do that with the complete bag awning because it was too long and didn't bend in the middle. I now also have another "rope and pole" awning that I use as well.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:01 PM   #28

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I can certainly understand when some people don't want or need an awning at all. A lot of that has to do with where they camp. Depending on the time of the year and the area of the country, in order to eat outside (at the picnic table?) a person would absolutely need a good screen room of some kind because of the bugs.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 01:06 PM   #29

Registry
I agree 100% Donna, which is why we also like, and use, our Clam pretty much exclusively. Awnings and pop-ups just don't provide relief from the biting critters like a good screen enclosure does. My "rope & pole" is just for short stays if I need a quick cover for a night.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:08 PM   #30

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I'm guessing the gap is to give wind an exit and reduce the stress on the screws. That said we've had members install rope awnings with no issue.
I think the gap was more likely the result of adapting an awning designed for a flat surface to the curved surface of a typical fiberglass trailer design. I can think of several better bracket designs but certainly none cheaper that would stay put.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 01:13 PM   #31

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I think the gap was more likely the result of adapting an awning designed for a flat surface to the curved surface of a typical fiberglass trailer design. I can think of several better bracket designs but certainly none cheaper that would stay put.
Same thing I said back in Post #22.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:47 PM   #32

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
We use the Clam not only for shade and rain , but for our golden. She stays in there so long as we are about, just like home when she is out on the deck. She can see everything and everybody from all sides and she is happy and off leash, she has plenty of room to move around. When we are busy inside camper she goes out there and gives us more room, and she still has us in her sound and sight. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning