axle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #1

Name: Vic
Trailer: 1973 Boler
Alberta
axle

I am looking for an axle for my 73 Boler. If I could fine one in Alberta, that would be best. I would like to get started on the upgrades for the summer.
Vic.
vics454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #2

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
You should find a new axle at a RV dealer in your area. You need to measure center of tire to center of tire to get the correct length.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Check these guys out:

Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - Canada
Old 02-06-2013, 04:52 PM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
They may not be the least expensive, but Standen's does good work, and they are in Calgary.
Standen's Limited :: Leaf Springs, Trailer Axles, Stabilizer Bars, Suspension Hardware, and Tillage Tools
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:44 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTTRV View Post
You need to measure center of tire to center of tire to get the correct length.
That will get you the track dimension; it is probably intended to yield the width across the hub faces, and based on the assumption that trailer wheels all have zero offset (the face against the hub is in the middle of the wheel's width). In reality, Dexter Axle no longer sells wheels (they sold the product line, perhaps now sold as Dexstar), but when they did they apparently had 1/2" offset; the conventional style of Dexstar wheel still has 1/2" offset in most sizes. My 1979 Boler has 1/2" offset wheels, as most likely did from the factory. If the wheels have 1/2" offset, measuring the track and calling it the hub face width will result in an axle 1" too narrow for the wheels.

Far more importantly, the hub face width is only one of several bits of information needed to specify a rubber-sprung "torsion" axle. Some of the others:
  • bracket spacing (to match frame)
  • bracket orientation (again to match frame design, and coordinate with spacing dimension)
  • capacity (if a Dexter then the Torflex product series, such as "#8" or "#9", plus rubber adjustment if not specifying full axle series capacity)
  • arm starting angle
  • spindle length (regular or extended)
  • brakes, brake flanges only, or no brake provisions
  • hub bolt pattern

Standen's is quite capable (although no one is perfect), and is the original supplier of axles for Bolers manufactured in Calgary and Winfield circa 1979. In case you're not in Calgary (it's not the only city in Alberta)... Standen's has other locations, including in Edmonton.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Thank-you Brian! I have wondered about this very subject. I had my axle changed, and did not know enough to even ask about this.
As I am very visual in my understanding of things, do you have access to a drawing that shows where these values are measured from?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I had Standen's build my axle and they did a great job.
One other item to consider is that the 13' Boler body is offset on the frame by 1" to the left or drivers side. If you have the axle mounting bracket welded to the axle with this offset as a consideration the axle and wheels will be centered under the body of the trailer rather than centered under the frame.

To view the offset on your trailer just look at the tire sidewall clearance to the side of the body, you will see that one side is very close to the body and the other side has extra clearance.

Take careful measurements as each frame will be a bit different.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
As I am very visual in my understanding of things, do you have access to a drawing that shows where these values are measured from?
I went straight to the authority on Dexter axles (Dexter Axle), picked "Resource Library" from their menu bar, and Axle Measurement from the "Trailer Axle Resources" drop-down list. The result is really densely packed, but very informative and entirely pictorial - I like it. They have other literature with extensive explanations of how to choose and install their axles... that's just the most succinct and graphic bit.

Most axle distributors seem to have an order sheet showing an axle with the required dimensions labelled, but maybe not for torsion axle systems.

Roy in TO posted a thorough thread describing his Boler axle replacement (everything Roy does is thorough ), complete with illustrations: Replacing an Axle - leading arm to trailing arm. He did change the axle configuration substantially, which might be confusing for someone wanting a direct replacement, but he includes a dimensioned drawing showing the axle in the context of the trailer body and frame, as well as a drawing from Redneck Trailer. I didn't see the Redneck drawing on their site, but the axle section of the Redneck catalog) has information about ordering Torflex axles, which all looks like it came out of Dexter documents.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Roy in TO posted a thorough thread describing his Boler axle replacement (everything Roy does is thorough ), complete with illustrations: Replacing an Axle - leading arm to trailing arm. He did change the axle configuration substantially, ...
Yes Roy's documentation is thorough, my reference is simply information that the offset exists and can be applied when replacing the axle in the standard leading arm configuration.

Not everyone wants to tackle the complexity in changing the axle configuration to a trailing arm. Those of us who have done it are aware of this and Roy has documented his conversion in detail. In my mind if anyone is going to the expense and work of replacing the axle, even when leaving it in the standard leading arm configuration, why not have the brackets welded on the axle to take the offset into consideration.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Make sure you get your custom wheels first! Put them on your present axle to ensure the present axle width will work.
But hey your no dummy, you knew that!lol

Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #11

I started my reply before Ian posted his, so I didn't see his post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
Yes Roy's documentation is thorough, my reference is simply information that the offset exists and can be applied when replacing the axle in the standard leading arm configuration.
In my mind if anyone is going to the expense and work of replacing the axle, even when leaving it in the standard leading arm configuration, why not have the brackets welded on the axle to take the offset into consideration.
Excellent point - I agree. I completely missed that feature in my list of potential specs... which was the theme: there's a lot more here than hub face width.

For another example, the Dexter graphic which I linked explains the two heights of bracket, and the option of side-mount (bolt-on) brackets, each of which leads to another decision.

Tags
axle

« Chairs again | Snow »