Back from Lil Snoozy with Eye Candy!! - Page 10 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 06:25 PM   #181

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Oh wow, Jane, Cool Shuttle!!! Decisions Decisions, lol. Along with what color of quilt, curtains and towels. So much fun!!
Old 04-15-2011, 06:36 PM   #182

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Looking further at the pictures, the axle seems far back on the unit. What is the tongue weight?

What are the criterion for getting listed on the home page as a mfg'r?

We now have Lil Snoozy as well as ParkLIner.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:07 PM   #183

Roger, because the axle is farther back and the heavier kitchen and bath are right over the axle the tongue weight is pretty light at around 250lbs. Also, they plan to use Fiberglass Propane Tanks which are lighter yet.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:00 AM   #184

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Perhaps that was the thinking with the design of the Oxygen. A 20 foot all molded trailer that's tapered front AND back.
It's hard to say what motivates manufacturers with their designs. The Oxygen has excellent hind quarters, aerodynamically speaking.

This new trailer was called aerodynamic several times in this thread which is unfortunate. The truth is just about every other egg has a lower drag coefficient because of generous radii at the rear top and sides. Bullets plow a bigger and dirty wake. Larger frontal area (max cross section) hurts too.

In case my T@B reference was misunderstood their excessive roof tapering is an example of what not to do. If the goal is looks - fine. Aerodynamically edge vortices impose a kinetic energy tax on the tow vehicle.

As for tongue weight an advantage of outrigger wheels and fenders is they could be moved. Top bolt the axle to the frame and provide a pattern of holes to allow some tunability. If a user changes the layout (think toy hauler) just adjust the axle location to rebalance. Simple.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:31 PM   #185

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'm with Reace on a trailer being a Toy not a tool.

A number of escape owners have reported they like the axle farther back for towing ease as opposed to the other brands that are farther forward. A number of escape folks say they didn't bother with a a WDH hitch anymore. I will be interesting to hear if the snoozy has the same towing benefit.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #186

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1981 Scamp "Huevo Ranchero"
Virginia
That's beautiful! Coming in late to the conversation but--What's the brand? Sounds like they're just starting out. Also, price, if I may ask?
Old 04-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #187

The brand in this thread is LiL Snoozy and the price is $13,900 with A/C, fridge, water heater, furance, awning, shower/cassette toilet etc. These are pix of their prototype and ours will be ready in June.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:31 AM   #188

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
The tune just won't go away, This ought to nag ya all day.

~Wake Up Little Susie~ Everly Brothers

Kip
Old 04-18-2011, 07:51 AM   #189

i forgot about that song, now it's locked in my brain too, no....
Old 04-18-2011, 09:17 AM   #190

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamperBob View Post
It's hard to say what motivates manufacturers with their designs. The Oxygen has excellent hind quarters, aerodynamically speaking.

This new trailer was called aerodynamic several times in this thread which is unfortunate. The truth is just about every other egg has a lower drag coefficient because of generous radii at the rear top and sides. Bullets plow a bigger and dirty wake. Larger frontal area (max cross section) hurts too.

In case my T@B reference was misunderstood their excessive roof tapering is an example of what not to do. If the goal is looks - fine. Aerodynamically edge vortices impose a kinetic energy tax on the tow vehicle.

As for tongue weight an advantage of outrigger wheels and fenders is they could be moved. Top bolt the axle to the frame and provide a pattern of holes to allow some tunability. If a user changes the layout (think toy hauler) just adjust the axle location to rebalance. Simple.
FWIW: According to something I saw recently,the early Submarines had pointed bows and somewhat sharp features along the sides. The new nuculear subs have a much larger rounded bow, a more tapered stern, and is said to be a more efficient design. Noticed also, on new ships in general, that large nose cone attached in front of the sharper bow.

Would the same principles apply to something moving through air?

Kip
Old 04-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #191

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip in Ga.

FWIW: According to something I saw recently,the early Submarines had pointed bows and somewhat sharp features along the sides. The new nuculear subs have a much larger rounded bow, a more tapered stern, and is said to be a more efficient design. Noticed also, on new ships in general, that large nose cone attached in front of the sharper bow.

Would the same principles apply to something moving through air?

Kip
Kip, look up photos of competitive super-efficient cars, such as solar cars. You'll notice that most are blunt but rounded in the front and taper to a point in the rear. This is the opposite of what most people think of as aerodynamic... But that's what works!
Old 04-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #192

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
I think that the shape of the Lil Snoozy would be more aerodynamically efficient going backwards! A truncated teardrop (Kamm back) would be the most efficient and practical:

Kammback - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:32 PM   #193

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip in Ga. View Post
FWIW: The new nuculear subs have a much larger rounded bow, a more tapered stern, and is said to be a more efficient design. Noticed also, on new ships in general, that large nose cone attached in front of the sharper bow.
Kip
I don't know much about ships, so I could be wrong, but I think the reason for the large nose cone is for the sonar inside.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:44 AM   #194

Kip, flow in air and water use the same math with different constants. There is a critical speed that determines which rules apply. RVs operate in the super-critical flow regime. Just don't extrapolate across that boundary and it's all good.

The state of the art is mcbrew's nose (blunt but rounded) and Roger's tail (truncated Kammback). For an RV the last thing I'd do is waste interior space due to excessive exterior rounding/tapering that provides little to no functional advantage.

Anecdote: my Scamp toy hauler mod didn't hurt tow MPG at all. The rear cargo door frame protrusion laid within the dead water zone so no harm there. The deleted roof vent and closed-off fridge louvers reduced the overall drag coefficient a little. My log book showed tank averages of 18 +/- 2 mpg over 16,500 miles and 18 months through good weather and foul behind the same (often loaded) 4WD V8 pickup EPA rated 14 city, 17 highway (with 22 being my record high bobtailing). It's hard to argue with those numbers. Style is cool but obeying good science pays dividends at the pump.

Sorry for bending the Snoozy thread but calling the prototype aerodynamic within the egg community is wrong and spreads misinformation. I'm sure we don't really want to do that.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:19 AM   #195

Georgia
Interesting stuff, thanks guys!

After looking at the link and pictures, it makes me wonder if a PU truck's bed "camper shell" sloped from the cab to the tail gate would make any difference in fuel mileage when not towing!

Hopefully Lil'Snoozy will perform well, as there seems to have been a lot of thought gone into its design.

It appears that the rear of the Snoozy has rounded corners and top which should help with wind drag. Actually there are few if any corners or flat areas on the exterior.

They will likely be on the road soon. Time will tell!

Kip
Old 04-19-2011, 08:29 AM   #196

Semantics are fun to dance to also
YouTube - Let's call the whole thing off
Old 04-20-2011, 08:39 PM   #197

Name: Nicholas
Trailer: LiL Snoozy
South Carolina
Good evening forum, The "Old Man" of LiL Snoozy asked me to post this in response to some aerodynamic discussions.

Hello everyone, My name is Robert Smoak ( I am the old man at Smoakin Concepts Composites, creators of the Lil Snoozy). I generally don't talk very much and have let my son Nicholas handle all of the internet traffic of our new design and creation. But after seeing and reading some grossly in acurate info being thrown at me, my son , and our design I felt it was my duty to set the record straight with some accurate information. Mostly all of the comments on this site have been very supportive and we really appreciate that. Altho some at the beginning had doubts of us, have all since been extreamly nice since and some have even apologized for doubting us. That shows me the quality of the majority of the people on this site.

Now to get to why I am responding. We seem to have someone who is attempting to provide aeronautical information and has made some statements about aerodynamics that are totally false, inaccurate, and just plan with out any common sense. The use of some terminology are grossly inaccurate to the point they don't even vaguely resemble the definition of the wording being used.. He states he is a recreational engineer' I don't find that degree in any of the colleges I have delt with. So where does he really get his information or aeronautical knowledge?

Camper Bob I read these statements you have been making about aerodynamic properties and also of the aerodynamics of the LiL Snoozy. They at first I was upset, but after reading them for the second time I see that you are recreational engineer not an aeronautical or marine engineer. This is why I am responding to let you know that the info you have been provide and forwarding on this site is grossly inaccurate and unfounded to put it mildly. Obviously who ever gave you this information is trying to promote another brand or product by trying to slander the LiL Snoozy's design and advantages to say the least. That being said, the following should clear things up for those are really looking for the true facts to help them make their own educated decisions to better their lives, purchases and actions. All of the terms I list can be Google'd and proven correct for their own benefit.

For an example: Quote: “There is a critical speed that determines which rules apply. RVs operate in the super-critical flow regime.” This choice of words is interesting, as it is a Fluid Dynamics term not an aerodynamic term of which is where RV' really operate, but we will get to that in a few lines. From reading this passage I understand that an RV's velocity(super-critical flow regime) equates to a Froude ratio of 1 or greater, which is the simple definition of “super-critical flow regime”. This particular member states that Fluid dynamics and Aerodynamics are basically the same with different constants. This is completely accurate, Air (gas) acts the same (for the purpose of this argument) as water (fluid) simply with different resistant. When we take these factors into consideration, we can understand the translation between fluid and aerodynamics. A Froude ratio of greater than 1 in fluid dynamics is “super-critical flow regime”, when put into aerodynamic terms, a Froude ratio of greater than 1 is super sonic. For those of you not involved in aviation, super sonic is faster than the speed of sound (or about 760 MPH at sea level). Stated more simply, this member is saying that RV's are traveling at more than ten times the legal speed limit for most states. I am unaware of any RV's capable of that speed.

I am not an aeronautical engineer, but I have been a avid pilot for over 39 years, an aircraft builder, re-builder, modifier, and owner of over 43 different aircraft in my life. I know that sounds hard to believe but I use to buy restore and sell aircraft as a hobby. I have over 7,000 hrs as pilot on command. I have been heavily involved with the design of several experimental aircraft, builder of three from scratch and am very good friends with several REAL aeronautical engineers. Also I have been involved with boating since I was 7 years old, and have owned and operated boats from 13 feet up to long range 58 foot motor-yachts, and have done extensive long range cruising thru out the Caribbean. So I know a little bit about lift,drag, resistance, weight, fuel economy and efficiency. Do I know it all? Heck no, but I feel I have a lot of hands on experience. So I do know a little about fluid dynamics, and aerodynamics which are similar but also vastly different. And when I see some one spreading grossly inaccurate info to the public, that bothers me and when they make an outright a slanderous statement about a product I have put so much thought,blood, sweat, tears and money into I will come out swinging.
I am sorry for the length of this but I feel it is in the best interest of all on the Fiberglass RV Site to get real time accurate and verifiable information.
Lets for common sense discount all of the inaccurate $2.00 words and deal with the facts. 99 percent of all campers have a flat rear bulkhead, why, because it is more practical, it offers more room and ease of building. Is it the perfect shape? No but we all live in an age of compromise. Why are all 18 wheelers flat on the rear, same reasons. The space shuttle, the most expensive and researched vehicle known to man and unheard off amounts of money was spent to maximize it's efficiency and was designed to be extremely aerodynamic with a pointed front and a flat rear.

So to say that some thing that is pointed on the front, with rounded side is non aerodynamic is just a plan false statement. To prove this, why are all missiles pointed on the front , why are all jet aircraft pointed on the front, why are all the 18 wheelers putting the sloped fiberglass tops on the cabs, why are most large camper pulled by dualies and larger trucks putting the sloped front fiberglass deflectors over the cabs, why do all modern day cars have sloped windshields and sloped hoods, why are all boats pointed on the bow, imagine trying to pull a flat sided 4x8 sheet of plywood down the interstate at 70 miles per hour. Is that aerodynamic?

Now lets take that same sheet of plywood , cut it in two and reassemble it with the two pieces at a 45% angle (similar to the front of the LIL Snoozy) and you try to say that has no aerodynamic properties? Give me a break.

When the Hummer H2 SUV was first introduced I drove one. We all know that it has a blunt windshield and front end. At interstate speeds I could feel a pronounced buffeting. Needles to say I knew the gas mileage would be horrible so I did not buy one.

Is the Lil Snoozy a perfect aerodynamic shape? No but it is far superior to the flat piece of plywood or tin others are hauling down the road.

We have tried to offer as much as possible in all area's with the Lil Snoozy and have succeed in most. There is NO buffeting going down the highway, the front does not bow in like so many front caps on large campers, there is no swaying in and around 18 wheeler trucks, even the dreaded car carriers. Heck in some instances I've gotten so preoccupied that I have forgotten it was back there and almost pulled over in front of a car on the interstate. Also if you notice some of the newer highly priced campers have a very similar shape on the front as the Lil Snoozy. I wonder why they did that? Could all of their engineers be wrong?

This claim that you make about your gas milage, you state that your EPA rating is 17 mpg on the highway (we all know that those number are optimistic) Miraculously you put a fifth wheel box behind this same truck (one that sticks above his cab roof) and now you say you get 18 +/-2 MPG and has recorded 22 as your best? The laws of physics deny that possibility. Common sense says that if you put 4,000 pounds of weight behind any vehicle (regardless of aerodynamics) it will decrease gas mileage significantly. Add the presence of large blunt frontal area and you have the equation for decreased gas mileage. Come on Lets speak the truth and try to help on another. It makes camping so much more fun. Hummmmm?
I have read a lot of the comments on this site and am pleased to see most are in good faith and are trying to help one another thru this warped world we live in. I sincerely hope this continues and will also see that we do the same.
Thank you all for your words of encourage and support, I sincerely hope we will meet some day and have a beer or maybe I can offer a helping hand. Do I know it all, heck no but ask me for help and if I don't know how I will search and I try my best to help. That's just me and I have raised both my kids that way.

Sincerely
Robert Smoak (The Old Man)
Smoakin Concepts Composites
Old 04-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #198

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Sounds pretty straight forward to me.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:33 AM   #199

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I like a guy that sticks up for his product. GO FOR YOU.
Keep us posted on whats going on. Photos are nice also.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:35 AM   #200

OMG! LOL Space shuttle? Missiles? Sigh...

To the nice folks at Lil Snoozy I wish you nothing but success. You don't have to value my comments but the slander quip was inappropriate, Robert. You misunderstood my posts. Don't put words in my mouth either. It's unprofessional (and legally disturbing). I'd tread more carefully. YMMV

Moderators: I apologize for contributing to this mess. Could the topic be split and move a few posts to something like aerodynamics of trailers? Is that possible? Keep this topic a love fest if y'all want. Just a suggestion...thanks.
Closed Thread

Tags
lil snoozy