Bad Roads! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2005, 05:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Boler and 1980 Trillium 5500
I just returned from a vacation in Pennsylvania and was reminded how bad Massachusetts RT. 495 is. When I first bought my Boler I brought it home this route and was dismayed at how poorly this highway is paved - it is very bumpy and really rattled the Boler. I would recommend that anyone considering a vacation on Cape Cod approach via RT. 3 and steer clear of RT 495 - It's just too darn bumpy! Cheers, Alec
Al Stansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 06:23 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Highway 1 from Interstate 10 west (at Santa Monica) through Malibu, California!

The too-quick repairs after the rockslides have left the pavement surface very uneven. Causes the trailer to really bounce.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:55 AM   #3

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
The Cross-Bronx Expressway in NYC. Pity the poor fool who gets stuck on that evil bypass. Though anyone wishing to go over the GW Bridge has little choice.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 03:21 PM   #4

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I-35 around Faribault, Minnesota is pretty bumpy due to the joints in the concrete. The next time I'm going that way I'll probably take County 48 / MN 21 (both make up old US 65 that I-35 replaced) through town to avoid the bumps.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 05:55 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
To avoid: new four-lane highways with posted speeds of 100 or 110k, smooth pavement. (Too much traffic, including many big trucks.)

To embrace: rickety pot-holed winding back roads.
(No traffic to speak of! No big huge trucks! Can't go fast, slow down and smell the alfalfa!)
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:03 AM   #6

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Try the Alaska Highway north of Whitehorse. WHAT A RIDE!!! For you men---double up on your jock straps. For you women---double up on your bras.
RON HEIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 01:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 15 ft
Send a message via ICQ to Ken James
What is the worst piece of road any of you have seen?

Recently I drove north from Monument Valley over Highway 95 in Utah. One section of that climb was about the worst we had ever encountered - and then I remembered a 4 mile stretch of hair-raising road on the way into Bella Coola, B.C. Now that is something! No trailers allowed.

There is a coastal community a few hundred miles west of Williams Lake that decided they wanted a road to connect to the rest of Canada. They were entirely dependant upon boats for supplies. The Canadian Corp of Engineers came in and surveyed the project. After much agonizing it was concluded that it was impossible to build a road up and over the cliffs that surrounded the village. However, one must take into account the spirit of pioneers who live in such places.

When the engineers left the citizens decided to take on the job themselves. They bought a Second World War leftover bulldozer from Alaska and barged it down to the site. They blasted and scraped - often with half of one track suspended over yawning space above a 1,000ft dropoff. But, they built the road! They had to blast holes into the mountain to back into so that one could complete the turn, the change in angle was so sharp. Then you could continue up the switchback. Today it is much improved but it is still an adventure to come in off the Chilcotin Plateau and drop down that treacherous switchback to the lovely valley below.

http://www.britishcolumbia.com/regio...s/?townID=3587

More good reading on this topic:

http://www.resortsbc.com/Wilderness-AdventuresMay1.html

Do you know of any such spots?
Ken James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 06:42 PM   #8

Trailer: 1999 Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
This road has become a well-known tourist attraction. Anyone know where it is?

Chester, Ken, and Charlynn, please don't give this one away.

Attached Images

Craig Nold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 06:56 PM   #9

I Know! I know! Pick me teach.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:59 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
This road has become a well-known tourist attraction. Anyone know where it is?

Chester, Ken, and Charlynn, please don't give this one away.
AWWWWWWWWW GEEEEEEEE
Old 12-08-2005, 08:25 AM   #11

Trailer: 1999 Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Well, I managed to kill another thread. I thought everyone would get this. There was a program on TV last week (Discovery Channel, I think) about this remote destination.

Ken,
Thanks for the links to The Freedom Highway. That is some great reading. I saw the sign when I was in Williams Lake last year and wondered what was at the end of the road. Do you remember the drive time between the end of pavement at Totla Lake and Bella Coola? I am just wondering if it is possible to take my Casita as far as Anahim Lake or Tweedsmuir PP and do Bella Coola as a day trip. I would need a safe place to drop the Casita. I see several other Provincial Parks in that area but my maps don't show road access. What do you know about the road to Dog Creek and is there any Provincial Park access off of that road?
Craig Nold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 06:26 PM   #12

Craig it is several hours drive across the plateau from Williams Lake. But, I would suggest you take the trailer over. You will have no trouble finding a place to leave the trailer on top of the hill. Then you can go down and check out Bella Coola. My son has been down in there since I was last in there. If I remember correctly, he towed a boat and trailer down. If you unhooked and checked out the 18% grade you might decide that you could take the Casita down and still get it back out.

Good luck!