BAL Light Trailer Tire Level Leveler Chock Pop Up RV Camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-01-2012, 10:41 PM   #1

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe
Minnesota
BAL Light Trailer Tire Level Leveler Chock Pop Up RV Camper

Does anyone have a BAL Light Trailer Tire Level ? What are the pros and cons on it? I need something that is easy for me to use.
Attached Images

Mary Ann in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Mary Ann I think if you use the search and use the very bottom google feature you should find a thread where the Bal right was talked about. You may already know but Leveling blocks are pretty easy to use. multi use item as they work well under jacks as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:47 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
They are a little heavy but they work well. Once you situate them under the wheel you have to crank down with a ratchet wrench until the trailer is raised level. ASk the local pizza person for a old pizza delivery bag for storage of the B@l leveler.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:23 AM   #4

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
I use one and it works well. If you have to raise the trailer up quite a bit, it can be strenuous and, as Jim says, it's a bit heavy. I keep mine, along with other miscellaneous junk, in a box that I made for use as a door step. The box fits just inside the camper door, so it's the first thing that comes out when we set up.

Ron
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:49 AM   #5

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I agree with everything Jim said. The BAL will allow you to raise the low side 10" and prevent any movement of that wheel. It's allowed us to take nice camping spots that nobody else wanted due to the slope of the pad.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:46 AM   #6

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Dittos with all of the above. Would add that the acme thread collects sand and needs to be cleaned and regreased periodically
Michael J
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:52 AM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'm using 2 of them right now on my Escape 19' to keep the unit level in my driveway, waiting for Isaac to bring a lot of rain and wanted the unit level side to side to minimize water on the windows, tilted towards front and the protected window.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0106.JPG   DSCN0114.JPG  

cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #8

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Heavy, awkward, finger pincher, 10" racheting box end wrench may not produce enuf leverage on the elevator screw for those enamored of power jacks or concerned about breaking a nail. Keep it in a cloth bag or some sort of slipcase (see pizza carrier above) to avoid that elevator screw flailing about; lube the screw only with dry lube to avoid sand in the threads; use a longer boxend or a helper bar (piece a pipe) on the one provided. It's worth it; backing onto blocks is at best guess work without at least a piece a string and a line level.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #9

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I have one but end up leaving it home most of the time. Heavy and takes space and I rarely use it. But when I've used it it was nice to have. Certain sites I'd take it knowing I would need it, and I can see the value of having it along going to new places. I worried a little using it on a 12 inch wheel as it says 13-16 or something like that but it worked fine.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I like mine . Yes it is a little heavy but I find it easier to use than blocks and more stable than blocks when on a really unlevel site .I built a wooden box with a slide cover to store mine . Keeping the screw clean and lubricated is a necessity. Bought mine because it was Donna D recommended and that was good enough for me.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Dick & Joanne
I use one leveler block. If that is enough; I'm done. If not, the BAL slides easily under the 15" wheel when on the block.

Dick
Dick & Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #12

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
That is a smart idea Dick, thanks.
Good suggestions Jack.

We use ours all the time. One of my planned mods for the Trillium is to modify the rear tire carrier to hold the leveller. Got that idea of peterh who found a spot for his towards the front of his Scamp 5th.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #13

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I've used mine once.
It now stays home as it's heavy, cumbersome and takes up valuble storage space.
I have $16.00 Harbor Freight scissor jack in case my blocks are not enough.
Most of My camping is Fire safe areas in National Forests.
I've had yet to use the scissor jack.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:39 AM   #14

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
All that have been mentioned will work just fine, here is what I have used for years and you only need one. Just put it under the low side and back up until level, and priced pretty cheap too.

Name:   31Uh0fRWuaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  8.2 KB
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #15

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe
Minnesota
Thanks for all the info.. Gives me more to think about. Been thinking about getting the Scamp ready and put it away for the winter. What a terrible thought!!
Mary Ann in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Just like my AMEX card, I don't leave home without it! In fact, just got back from Labor Day camping and used it while camping in a field. No backing up over blocks and hoping I got the right height... just park where I want, slide the BAL under the low tire and racket it up to perfectly level side to side. Easy peasy and fast.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft 1990
I find my BAL one of the best extra purchases I have made for my Scamp 13. We camp in non-flat sites most of the time and it has been used every time out since we purchased it. It is certainly heavier than any of the plastic blocks, but I don't find it too heavy to be a challenge. It stores under our table while traveling. With a 13, the provided ratchet drive is more than enough to crank it up without too much effort. It really doesn't take too much arm strength. I'm sure I'm up and perfectly level as fast or faster than block users. Everyone has a system of setup and favored tools. A BAL is one tool I'm glad I purchased.
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #18

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Putting it away for winter..... we're just now starting to make plans to get ours out for the winter, LOL.

Another vote for the BAL, that is one item that if it ever disappeared would be replaced immediately.

Melissa
Old 09-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #19

Trailer: 82 Burro
When I bought my leveler I choose to buy a similar product made by Milenco and sold in the UK -

Milenco Aluminium Caravan and Motorhome Leveller Level Ramps Caravan Levellers & Chocks Site Accessories Caravannin...

It is made out of aluminum and weighs about 10 lbs or so. The ads state that it will lift 16" tires. It comes in its own carrying case. Like the BAL leveler the Milenco model comes with a ratchet wrench, but also includes a 15" extension. It is very easy to use and I've never broken a sweat when cranking it up. I love love love it and like others have already mentioned, I wouldn't leave home without it!!
Attached Thumbnails
milenco-aluminium-caravan-and-motorhome-leveller.jpg  
Shirley LaMoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #20

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley LaMoine View Post
It is made out of aluminum and weighs about 10 lbs or so..........
The link says 79 1/2 pounds....

Tags
light