BAL Wheel Leveler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2007, 05:06 AM   #1

Trailer: 2004 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
I'm moving up from my much loved Casita SD17 to something bigger. I haven't figured out what yet -- but would love a Bigfoot 25B17G or or 21 footer. Still thinking.

With the Casista I used a BAL Wheel Leveler that slid under the tire of the Casista and cranked it to level. I loved this thing -- it was very easy to get the Casista level in any situation, was very easy to use and I did not have to go back and forth over a bunch of leveling blocks.

The problem I have (in moving up to a slightly larger trailer) is that the BAL gadget doesn't work on twin axle trailers.

My question is does anyone know of something that works this good and this easy for a twin axle trailer?

Thanks all.
Bob and Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:18 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I too have a BAL wheel leveler, and really, really like it.

I wonder if an aluminum racing floor jack would work for what you need?
4000 Aluminum Jack. Surely there's someplace on the frame, near the axles that this could be used? It would then require the use of stabilizers of some sort.....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:46 AM   #3

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
On outr 22ft sticky we have Ball levelers mounted on each corner. If the site is pretty level we just crank them up till things look good. The frame on the trailer can take the load.....but we also carry a wood stair step level to pull up on if needed.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:45 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I think Lizbeth is talking about leveling scissors jacks, or something similar attached to the frame, while Bob and Judy are currently using the BAL Light Trailer Tire Leveler, which lifts the tire.

BAL also has the "single leg" style of device, such as the BAL Light Trailer Stabilizer Jack, like the pair I put on my Boler. There are higher-capacity versions from BAL and others.

I believe that in BAL's terms, a leveler lifts one side or corner of the RV to level it, and supports it there, while a stabilizer just provides rigid support to an RV which has already been leveled by some other means. In practice, a last bit of fine leveling can be done with stabilizers, but the stabilizers are not asked to extend while carrying a significant fraction of the RV's weight.

If a leveling jack is used at any location other than very near the mounting points of the suspension on the frame, then the load on the frame is shifted when the jack is raised. The consensus in earlier discussions in this forum is that most of our trailers' frames are not stiff enough for this, and bend under the shifting load. I assume that's why Lizbeth mentioned that their other trailer's frame "can take the load". That would presumably also be why Donna suggested that in changing from lifting the tire (and thus lifting the trailer by the suspension) to jacking on the frame, the jacking point should be very near the suspension mounts.

Due to this issue of where loads are placed on the frame, I mounted my stabilizer jacks on the frame behind the suspension, but as close to the spring mounts as practical. I drive one wheel up on blocks to level side-to-side, and crank the tongue jack (acting as a leveling jack) to adjust for front-to-back level. The rigid stabilizer jacks exist to keep the trailer from moving on its springs, and tweak the level slightly; whether or not any more stabilizers are needed would depend on the stiffness of the frame, and I think (after limited trial) that in my Boler 1700 I will be happy without additional stabilizers - the trailer has most of it's weight on the tires, just enough on the stabilizers just behind the axle to stop bouncing, and the tongue jack on the front.

I am interested in mechanical designs to address the various challenges of RVs, so I usually notice interesting products, and I have not heard of a device to lift both tires of a tandem, so that leaves the stack-of-blocks approach, or jacking on the frame instead of lifting the suspension (via the tires). I think jacking on the frame (Donna's suggestion) would be just as quick and easy as the tire leveler, if there is a good frame point for mounting with easy access for cranking (or pumping, or whatever). A power jack (scissors or other design) might solve access problems, but mounting is still an issue.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:48 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I noticed that the 2500 series 17.5' and 21' Bigfoot trailers I have seen in the showroom have a pair of single-leg stabilizers near the back end of the frame; I can't remember if they had a pair up front as well. I don't think they were levelers, suggesting to me that they do expect you do lift the tires (on blocks, presumably).

The Bigfoot 2500 series trailer features and options page lists "stabilizer jacks" as options; in contrast, their big 4000-series motorhomes list "4-Point Hydraulic Leveling Jacks".
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote