Ban the Rudolph song - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 04:24 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 1300 1977 (#2033 L EGGO)
Ban the Rudolph song

To Those wishing to improve our World:

The song Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer is blatantly racist and should be purged from Christmas lore.

Rudolph was humiliated and bullied by his peers; "all of the other reindeer used to laugh and call him names." Why? Because of his shiny nose. He was a visible minority. (Almond eyes, dark skin, red nose, choose your own identifying feature.)

Rudolph was socially ostracized; "they never let poor Rudolph plan in any reindeer games." Why? Only because he looked different from those of the dominant culture in which he lived. What happened next? On his own merit Rudolph became a hero. (He guided Santa's sleigh, scored the winning goal, graduated at the top of his class; again, choose your own achievement.) Then how the reindeer loved him ..."

Is this what we went to teach our children? Love those who attain distinction, but otherwise, it's OK to scorn those who are different? Let us, rather, concentrate on the true meaning of Christmas — peace on earth and goodwill among people and their substitute creatures of every colour and creed.

Editors:

As it should be -- your call!

This is not FGRV related, but topical and triggered by the closed "I'm sorry--" thread.

Des
Old 12-01-2016, 05:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
The 12 days of Christmas drives me nuts. My wife says than no further than I would have to go, I could walk.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:11 PM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I know you are being sarcastic but that's actually an interesting perspective. I've always thought of it more like, Rudolph has different talents than most and one day he is recognized for them. Sort of like the geeky kid who started a computer company.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:44 PM   #4

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Hi Des and Diane! Well, you have opened up a real can of worms, haven't you!?

There you go, making me THINK! Yup. You are correct--it's definitely the wrong message to send. I will no longer sing it. (the world is better for me NOT singing...)

And.....I will also no longer sing Three Blind Mice and Rock-a-bye Baby because of the inherent violence in those lyrics.

Plus, the hugely popular children's prayer Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep, which also should be banned due to how it scares kids just before bedtime.

....aw, Des, what HAVE you started???
Old 12-01-2016, 06:07 PM   #5

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Ever sing your kids a lullaby? The tradition dates way back, and is older than the Bible. Adam's first wife was not Eve. It was Lilith. And Lilith didn't like being subservient to Adam, so she rebelled and was cast out of Eden. She became a Succubus, and would sap the lifeblood and strength out of unsuspecting people during the night, (like innocent children.) A lullaby was originally "Lilith Abey," which was a prayer to protect children from Lilith, "Keep Lilith away from us."

But, that being said, I think I'll go to the range now and sight in my deer rifle. Come here Rudolph. Let me draw a bead on your shiny nose. I think he'll look good cut and wrapped in my freezer. Besides, the world won't miss one "misfit" reindeer anyway.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:30 PM   #6

Name: Erik
Trailer: 1978 surfside triple e
BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des Nolan View Post

The song Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer is blatantly racist and should be purged from Christmas lore.

Rudolph was humiliated and bullied by his peers; "all of the other reindeer used to laugh and call him names." Why? Because of his shiny nose. He was a visible minority. (Almond eyes, dark skin, red nose, choose your own identifying feature.)

Rudolph was socially ostracized; "they never let poor Rudolph plan in any reindeer games." Why? Only because he looked different from those of the dominant culture in which he lived. What happened next? On his own merit Rudolph became a hero. (He guided Santa's sleigh, scored the winning goal, graduated at the top of his class; again, choose your own achievement.) Then how the reindeer loved him ..."

Is this what we went to teach our children? Love those who attain distinction, but otherwise, it's OK to scorn those who are different? Let us, rather, concentrate on the true meaning of Christmas — peace on earth and goodwill among people and their substitute creatures of every colour and creed.

Editors:

This is not FGRV related, but topical and triggered by the closed "I'm sorry--" thread.

Des
In the spirit of Yuletide songs.
Hopefully this will get stuck in your heads for a few days.

I WANT A HIPPOPATEMUS FOR CHRISTMAS
ONLY A HIPPOPATEMUS WILL DO..............and so on.

Best wishes to all!
Old 12-01-2016, 06:40 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Rudolph was created as a Christmas promotion for Montgomery Ward & Co back in 1939 by Robert May. I worked for Wards in St Paul Mn for 30 years and the one and only Christmas that we received a Christmas gift , it was a copy of " Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer".
Supposedly they were cleaning out the storage tower and found old boxes filled with the books from a Christmas past.
My grandkids are still enjoying the book.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:14 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I thought about all this before, too... why show something that depicts cruelty based upon physical appearance? But it occurred to me that the cartoon also shows the viewer how patently unfair, thoughtless, or even mean-spirited they all were toward the victim. One cannot help but sympathize with Rudolph and relate to his plight, and this can help young children recognize the unfairness of such actions. I don't think there's anything in the show that teaches or encourages the bad behavior. Instead, it spotlights the bad behavior for what it is... BAD!

As a 7th Grade math teacher, I see first-hand how mean and disrespectful kids can be. If time were available, I'd be willing to show the cartoon in class with the hope that some of the lesson might sink in!

As for the true meaning of Christmas, I'm all in favor of getting the word out about that. However, according to the book, it was not about general peace and good will among all men; the message heralded an event taking place which would re-establish peace and good will, from the Creator, toward men.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:18 PM   #9

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Ban the Rudolph song

Rudolph, however, did have the last laugh even though he was bullied. He ran over grandma while she was walking home on Christmas Eve!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-01-2016, 10:41 PM   #10

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Rudolph, however, did have the last laugh even though he was bullied. He ran over grandma while she was walking home on Christmas Eve!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Are you suggesting that Rudolph eventually "reverted to type" and was a thug?
Old 12-01-2016, 10:54 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:

Editors:

Des
You're kidding...Right?
A clear example of what I said earlier...
"To be intentionally offensive is one thing.
To seek to be offended is offensive to reason."

I want sooo bad to place the song on this post, but I feel intimidated and bullied by those who would be thought police!
I don't consider the song to be racist and I certainly don't see Gene Autry as racist.

So who's racist here? Is it "Olive",the other reindeer?(What a dog!!)
Old 12-01-2016, 11:14 PM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:

Editors:

Des
Please excuse my ignorance but could you explain / define / or give context to the term "substitute creatures" and the word
" colour" ?.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:04 AM   #13

Name: Bill & Pam
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 17.5
Washington
Quote:

Editors:

Des
Surely you jest....
I don't take well to thought police.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:11 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise View Post
Surely you jest....
I don't take well to thought police.
Are you hoping to stop this conversation, these thoughts?
Old 12-02-2016, 08:32 AM   #15

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
And this morning there is a school district that is banning Huckleberry Finn.
Political Correctness is going to far.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:51 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Sorry, but this thread is getting a little too political, so it will be closed.

Time to get back to trailer mods.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Closed Thread