Bath or no bath - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #41

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The only waste I carry around is in my intestines/bladder and I've never had a problem with the china flush toilet in my trailer in the 10+ years I've owned it. Can't say that about the three bathrooms in my sticks 'n bricks home!

I agree with Charlie, you can never miss what you've never had. And it's a very personal decision. Frankly, I can afford to own a fully-self contained trailer and I'm NEVER going backward. The older I get, the more important having facilities within three steps of the bed at night becomes. The idea of squatting in the bushes left me a looong time ago and getting dressed to use the campground facilities is soooo 1990s for me (bought my trailer in 2002).

YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #42

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
In my humble opinion, this is one of those decisions that, if you have a female traveling companion, it should be her input in a big way. Speaking from experience, it ain't fun if you camp in the wilds, to use the toilette au naturel, at least not for me. To put it delicately, it leaves too much landscape available for mosquitoes to feast on. We volunteered on Pine Ridge week before last, and I got to remember what it was like growing up on the farm and taking a walk in the pasture that lasted too long.

I loved having our porta-potty while we were there, although I tried to use the local outhouse as much as I could instead of our porta-potty. We were a long ways away from the bunkhouses of the organization we were working with.

Even when we have facilities nearby, I appreciate the chance to not have to visit them in the middle of the night.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #43

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

your millage may vary:

Cari's first request in our van conversion in the fall of 2010 was that we get a potty in there asap (she already had a plan & solution...leave it to a McGirlver). Anyway, as others have commented, we too did not want any plumbing nightmares or issues so we went with a DIY porta potty that has worked great in the van since 2010 (link to image _closed_ and _open_). We sleep in the van so the convenience and safety (we camp in bear country) of having an indoor potty was an easy & essential mod for us.

We ordered the Parkliner (12' from wall to wall) with no potty in the standard front shower room...and have made another DIY potty that we have inside the door designed for that use from the manufacture (you can see the outline of the potty storage door in the lower left area of the shower room).

For us, off grid and in the wilderness, it made total sense to have a potty in the rig(s).

Happy camping,
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #44

Name: Bill
Trailer: In the market
Nevada
Thanks for all your opinions. A lot of good points made, food for thought.
Chillywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #45

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I think that it depends somewhat on the length of the trailer. The OP (above) was asking about a 13 footer. Given how few square feet are in a 13 footer, one must ask if they want to devote that much dedicated space to a toilet and shower considering how few hours you use them vs the rest of the trailer.
So how many hours do you use the sink or both burners on the stove? I asked myself your question and answered it yes, and for the same reason one might want a shower and toilet in a sixteen.
The question then gets redirected to the side dinette or more counter space.
There is a value to every option, and a cost. I much prefer the 13D Scamp to any trailer built in the world, along with every comfort and convenience offered.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #46

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
When I decided to buy a used Scamp, I saw a listing for a 16' with bathroom. Previously (pre-divorce), my travel trailer had a nice bathroom with shower. I loved it. But I wasn't the one towing the camper, or taking care of all the plumbing issues. I could not find peace when I thought about being responsible for the upkeep and mechanics of the bathroom. When I looked at a 13' for sale, I immediately felt total joy and excitement - like I could handle towing it and live with a porta-potty. I ordered the Thetford PP that fits under the couch. It's just me in the camper, so I have enough space. The previous owners installed a 2 gallon grey water holding tank under the sink, which makes me very happy. I'm not thrillled about using campground showers, but I will manage. I don't plan to boondock, and I do research to find highly rated campgrounds. (Disney's Ft. Wilderness anyone?) I may buy a trailer with a bathroom later on, but for my current situation, this is what works best for me.
Pam M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #47

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillywilly View Post
For the most part, we'd only use it for one or two nights. Bottom line...have any of you regretted buying one without a bathroom?
So far in our 7th year of owning a trailer we have not regretted buying either the 13' or 15' without a bathroom. We started using a "yellow water" bottle after reading about them here. We do have a porta potti that has never been used or the small "outhouse" tent to put it in. They are in stored in the garage until the one day we plan a trip where they might make sense

One factor I have not heard yet is dogs. The need to take them out to do their business, usually coincides with meeting our needs.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #48

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
We just got back from a week at a state park.
Other than it being way too hot as I parked where
there is no shade (my bad), it was nice. The wife
and daughter used our built in toilet. I walked to the
park's "comfort station." It's an old park and the station
definitely needs some updating. But it's kept relatively clean.

But the last time I made the walk, there were many extra
campers around (mostly tents) and the toilets would not flush.

So after a time or two of this, I have to say I am certainly glad
I opted for a bathroom in ours and would not have it any other way.
I was concerned at first, because they are definitely not the units at home,
but once you use them and get familiar with their workings, I wouldn't
be without one. But that's my preference.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #49

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
We regretted having a 13' SCAMP with a bathroom and sold it to get one without. Our 13' Lil Bigfoot is the same size as a Scamp, but no front bath makes it seem huge.

TIP: In a 13' with front bath there is no place to be without converting the bed back to being a dinette. That front couch is a life saver. We use portable tables for eating and never have to make the bed back into a dinette. Plus leaving it as a bed gives you all that storage space under the bed..... For privacy there are lots of <$100 pop-up potty tents. We use one outside for both the loo and showering.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #50

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Walmart has a shower tent for $42.88
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The only waste I carry around is in my intestines/bladder and I've never had a problem with the china flush toilet in my trailer in the 10+ years I've owned it. Can't say that about the three bathrooms in my sticks 'n bricks home!

I agree with Charlie, you can never miss what you've never had. And it's a very personal decision. Frankly, I can afford to own a fully-self contained trailer and I'm NEVER going backward. The older I get, the more important having facilities within three steps of the bed at night becomes. The idea of squatting in the bushes left me a looong time ago and getting dressed to use the campground facilities is soooo 1990s for me (bought my trailer in 2002).

YMMV
Donna, do you mind if I ask how you got a china flush in your 16' Scamp? I'm guessing that had to be a custom order? Sounds great, though.
Pam M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #52

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam M. View Post
Donna, do you mind if I ask how you got a china flush in your 16' Scamp? I'm guessing that had to be a custom order? Sounds great, though.
Pam, it's factory! The only thing plastic are the fittings and blackwater tank. Maybe one of the cool things about owning an oldy but goody trailer?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #53

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
and they still come from the factory that way!
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:20 AM   #54

I just really have come to believe that whether a bathroom is needed or not really depends on the person and the locations where they camp. We would really like to have a bathroom but the attraction of more storage is tempting. We have the pop-up and it has only the cassette toilet and outside shower but in KS weather, too cold, too hot and/or raining, walking or worse yet having to take the car to shower was not pleasant if one stays more than a night or two. Right now, there are 2 FG trailers about 60 miles from us on a lot and the Scamp doesn't have a shower and the Burro doesn't have either toilet or shower and they have been sitting on the lot for awhile thus my conclusion based on really not that much evidence. Now, we do love to camp at KOAs when making a long trip and I know $$$$ but well worth it, always with nice facilities. We have had bathrooms in the other RVs so I am well acquainted with the ins and outs. We always do lots of planning on what our selection will be and then we just get wild when we see something and all that planning goes out the window.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #55

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
We regretted having a 13' SCAMP with a bathroom and sold it to get one without. Our 13' Lil Bigfoot is the same size as a Scamp, but no front bath makes it seem huge.

TIP: In a 13' with front bath there is no place to be without converting the bed back to being a dinette. That front couch is a life saver. We use portable tables for eating and never have to make the bed back into a dinette. Plus leaving it as a bed gives you all that storage space under the bed..... For privacy there are lots of <$100 pop-up potty tents. We use one outside for both the loo and showering.
Could someone explain how a made bed is so much different from a deep couch that you just couldn't kick back on it and watch a movie or read a book?

We seldom raise the table while in transit, and the extra ninety seconds is not much of a bother when we are at our destination. Of course we make our bed everyday at home despite the bother.

I think I would rather make the bed anyway than set up and take down potty tents,or set up and try to move around in a small space with portable tables in the way.Of course a portable tent, portable shower, portapotty etc. would certainly take up all that extra storage space under the bed, let alone the extra closet space in the front bath.

We have our wraparound couch and pedestal table which facilitate conversion and provides additional storage space without sacrificing comfort or utility.

One could, of course, choose to eliminate the stove and cook outside,eliminate the table and eat outside, eliminate the sink and carry a plastic pan, eliminate the bed and put up a pup tent, eliminate the closet and dress in a privacy tent using the the TV for storage!

I do agree that having a front bathroom without a shower would limit both it's appeal and utility and enhance the appeal of a couch somewhat.

Of course each option limits others... and choices must be made which make each trailer as unique as each owner's requirements.
Here's hoping each owner finds the optimum rig which helps to make travel and camping a pleasant and comfortable experience.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #56

It's not that you can't use the bed as a couch, it's the issue with making it back into a dinette every time you want to eat, and then making it back into a bed after eating.

What with having to fold up bedding and moving anything stored under the bed to make room for feet, doing it in 90 seconds would be a task for Flash, the Super Hero.

And, as mentioned earlier, we make use of the space under the bed for storage, it provides space for 6 covered bins for clothes, dry food and shoes.

And it's always easier to find a place to empty the Porta-Potty than a holding tank, even if one uses one of those tote tanks that also has to have a place to live when not being used.

But to each their own, we have tried both and prefer the extra space to the occasional convenience of a loo that takes up space even when it's not being used.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #57

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
The trailer will be inky dinky and you will store stuff in it and have to take everything out to use it.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:17 AM   #58

We have had three 13'ers (and still have two of them) and consider them to be "Just Right" for size and space.

And there are those that just plain prefer to conserve space, materials, fuel & $$$!

Old 06-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #59

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
The only downside on most 13's and 16's is the lack of headroom. I'm 6'2" and my back ain't that great any more. I can't deal with walking around like Quasimodo without hurting in about two minutes. Lack of adequate headroom to stand up straight would be a definite deal breaker for me.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #60

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
It's not that you can't use the bed as a couch, it's the issue with making it back into a dinette every time you want to eat, and then making it back into a bed after eating.

What with having to fold up bedding and moving anything stored under the bed to make room for feet, doing it in 90 seconds would be a task for Flash, the Super Hero.

And, as mentioned earlier, we make use of the space under the bed for storage, it provides space for 6 covered bins for clothes, dry food and shoes.

And it's always easier to find a place to empty the Porta-Potty than a holding tank, even if one uses one of those tote tanks that also has to have a place to live when not being used.

But to each their own, we have tried both and prefer the extra space to the occasional convenience of a loo that takes up space even when it's not being used.
Actually, you picked the wrong Super Hero...hint, I'm from Metropolis!