Batteries & Solar 101 Question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-07-2022, 03:59 PM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
For those who don't want to build anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
I read recently the thread about batteries, lithium batteries and solar. I did not understand a word of it. Please educate me so I can understand what easy alternatives there are to using a heavy battery on my 13' Scamp....

We wonder what alternatives their are to a traditional battery to run the lighting in our trailer. We, mostly, live off the grid while camping and rarely use hook-ups. On this next trip we'll use flashlights, headlamps and a modest camp light.
The easiest way is to just do an all-in-one "solar generator". Depending on your power needs they can be had for anywhere from a couple of hundred bucks up to thousands of bucks.

For your purposes, probably a really low cost one would be just fine. Don't overthink it Some are LiFePo4 (better), some aren't. For your specific purposes it probably doesn't matter.

These come with the battery, hookups for solar panel(s), usb phone chargers, AC outlets on the more high powered ones. Often a built in camp light. Pick it up and go. Plug it in to AC or (usually) your 12V plug to charge it back up.

BTW a dc powered compressor fridge would be next on the "must have" list for many of us.

HoboTech on Youtube does pretty good videos on all kinds of things.

https://www.youtube.com/c/HOBOTECH

https://www.menshealth.com/technolog...r-for-camping/

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Portable-so...ent=1224133687

https://www.treehugger.com/best-sola...rators-5092614

https://cleanenergysummit.org/best-solar-generators/
Old 05-07-2022, 05:12 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Thanks everyone for your prompt responses! We'll see how this next voyage goes without the large, heavy battery. In answer to your questions...we only need to light indoors. It would be preferable to use the two lights that are now installed and wired into the trailer.
so no ventilation fan, no water pump, no furnace w/ fan ?

LED lighting uses /very/ little power, you could use a motorcycle sized battery (~ 20AH) for many hours.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 12:28 AM   #23

Name: Tommy
Trailer: Bigfoot 30C10.11
Washington
The 101 simple solar concept

For a newbee trying to figure this solar power stuff... I like to explain in simple terms.

Who does it work ?
Almost the same as your car does.
1 car has a battery
2 the battery stores electricty
3 when u start your car the power taken from the battery is replaced by the alternator and the alternator charges it till its full again. The alternator is a battery charger.

RV solar system
when u use power in your rv if comes from the battery like your car. But most rv's don't have engines to turn a alternator to build the power back up in the battery so plugging in the RV to shore power is the same as a alternator as it powers a battery charger.

What does a solar system do then ?

A solar panel is a battery charger but instead of the charger being power by a car or a shore power. The solar panel is powered by the sun. So its just another battery charger.... but it most cases it has a solar controller between the solar panel and the rv battery. The controller controls when the solar panel sends power to the rv battery. It controls the rate and level of power to build the battery up again.

So think simple.... a solar panel is a battery charger :-)
Tomcat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 01:12 PM   #24

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Our "minimal" solar/battery installation is complete (for now!)

Last year I temporarily installed a 50 Watt solar panel, a TopSolar charger and a 35 AH battery and it worked, so this year it got installed permanently.

Topsolar panel + charger US$60
35 AH battery US$69
Low Voltage cutout US$18
Connectors/wire/bolts US$20
Wiring diagram, soldering, mounting, arm strain, cuts and abrasions, diagnosing, repair, WHAT? Why doesn't it work: HOURS!

I would recommend spending US$300-400 to get an all-in-one system rather than doing what I did unless you (like me) enjoy the engineering of it all.

And I got to 3D print stuff!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7137.jpg   IMG_7138.jpg  

AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 06:01 PM   #25

Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
Talking And the stackables. I am soooo doing that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post
Last year I temporarily installed a 50 Watt solar panel, a TopSolar charger and a 35 AH battery and it worked, so this year it got installed permanently.

Topsolar panel + charger US$60
35 AH battery US$69
Low Voltage cutout US$18
Connectors/wire/bolts US$20
Wiring diagram, soldering, mounting, arm strain, cuts and abrasions, diagnosing, repair, WHAT? Why doesn't it work: HOURS!

I would recommend spending US$300-400 to get an all-in-one system rather than doing what I did unless you (like me) enjoy the engineering of it all.

And I got to 3D print stuff!

Yep. Doing it yourself will never be as easy nor as cheap as an all-in-one. But the challenge...

I built a little battery box with (8) headway 38120s (16ah @ 13v), a fuse block, a pair of dual high power USB sockets, a pair of connectors on the side of the box. More stuff not yet installed (Solar panel controller, dc-dc converter to create 24v for the usb-c PD sockets).

Lots of money, lots of time. Works precisely as intended. But... cost about what an all-in-one would have cost. And still not finished.

Tags
solar