Be careful with heaters - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2006, 03:32 PM   #1

Trailer: Outfitter Caribou 6.5 ft Truck Camper
I just read a tragic story on another forum. A family with a new sleeping boat zipped up the canvas cover, ran a propane heater all night, and they all died during the night.

From experience, I know how fast oxygen can disappear in a small space---lighting a match saved my life --- it would not burn.

It is such a terrible tragedy. Just a reminder to all on those cold nights, be very, very careful.

Diane
jdtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 04:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
This happens several times every year. The sad thing is that a heater with a low oxygen sensor could have prevented it. A monoxide detector is also a must along with propane and smoke detectors if your rig has a gas fired device.

My nephew disconnected the oxygen sensor on his propane heater in his boat and could not light a cigarette and that saved his life. The one time that smoking was good for your health.

Another thing that happens every year is kerosene heaters exploding because some nitwit puts gas in it.

The person that vacuums out the fireplace 2 days after the last fire puts the vacuum in the closet and the still hot coals that was vaced up catches the house on fire.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 04:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 78 Scamp 13 ft
I often wonder just HOW cold do people GET anyway, to run a heater when camping?? We camped in October a few times with our old huge pop-up tent camper. It was COLD, too. This is Minnesota after all... But we never ran the heater.

At night, ya pile on the blankets, and you're pretty toasty. Specially if you have a partner! You can dress under the covers, too, I discovered.

After it got so cold you thought you needed heat- we just stopped going camping!

It pays to be over-cautious when using those portable heaters I guess. As well in the house, too, it seems. Everyone ought to have a good gas/carbon monoxide detector indeed.

Boy, THAT boating incident is sure a tragedy. I just can't imagine how their relatives can cope with a loss like that. That is so horrible.
Deb in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 04:59 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I just switched to a permanently installed unvented catalytic heater, and was painfully aware of the "possibilities" when I did.

I actually put a small permanent fresh air intake vent near the heater. Always open, no way to shut it or close it by accident or in a fit of forgetfulness, no way to forget to open it.

I also keep the window above my head open 1/2 inch or so, along with my door window open a crack. It's right near the heater too.

I have a CO2 detector, a propane detector and a smoke alarm. Things I would have anyway, vented or no.

My heater has a low oxygen shut off as well.

I would have a propane fired heater that wasn't a cat or didn't have a safety shut off even if I was wired on coffee and was going to be awake for 3 days.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:01 PM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
I often wonder just HOW cold do people GET anyway, to run a heater when camping??
Deb, If I did not have a heater, I could NOT camp. Health issues require I not be exposed to constant cold anymore. My death could result. Not an exaggeration.

Rather than give up the outdoors, I traded my tent for a trailer and keep warm when needed.

I am sure I am not alone.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:15 PM   #6

Trailer: 78 Scamp 13 ft
Well, Gina, I DO understand! Cause the older I get- there really isn't going to be anymore camping for ME when it's going to get to below freezing at night, I tell ya!
Deb in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Very good reminder Daine. What a terrible thing to have happened.

I need to be warm too. If my feet, legs and behind get cold enough there is no warming them up with just a pile of blanket and a warm body. If I'm cold I can't sleep, which does not make a happy camper. I have to be able to get warm to stay warm. I wish it wasn't so....it would make camping much easier and more enjoyable not having to worry about it.

We just have to remember to be careful.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:56 PM   #8

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Unfortunally a family of 3 died from carbon monoxide poisoning in a truck like moving van In Packwood WA... These people were at a huge swap meet that they have their every yr.. The adults were 40 along with their 13 yr old daughter..
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote