Bear Attack - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2013, 10:24 PM   #1

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Bear Attack

Keep Your Camp Clean ! Don't let this happen to you !

Check out what happened to this Samsung crew on a photoshoot for the EcoBubble washing machine. They were near Manning Park, BC.

Happy Camping

P.S. Hello happy mods...feel free to move this to another Topic area if you think it would fit better in another
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #2

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Now that's funny!
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #3

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
HA! Love this Commercial! Too Funny! Thanks for sharing.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
I'm for leaving this in General Chat, because if it's in the Jokes section, it spoils the story.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I knew, I absolutely knew there was a reason I shouldn't have a washer/dryer in my trailer! This confirms it
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:20 AM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Now that is funny, I wonder why if it will be one of the Super Bowl hits?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #7

Name: Imogene
Trailer: 2013 Casita
Missouri
Got a stitch in the side from laughing so hard! Thanks for posting......
Imo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #8

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
lol, that's great, but bears and humans do have conflict. For those on the salmon coast be careful while fishing in bear country.

Bear fights man for salmon
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
LOL when I first saw this video posted on another site - for the first few seconds of the video I bought into it & was wondering way a black bear in Manning Park didnt go into hibernation! LOL
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #10

Name: Anita
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Colorado
Too Funny..thanks needed that!
Seeitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:01 PM   #11

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Haha, on a slightly more serious note, most people that get attacked were begging for it.

You're not one with the animals, get over it.

It's not being cute, it's deciding if it's worth eating/beating you up.

I watched a video of a bunch of tourists that made a 50' circle around a moose, I couldn't believe people could be that dumb. Then, they had some crappy little dog running around, that ran up to the moose and started yipping at it. The moose punted that thing about 20' up into a tree 50' away. IIRC, it didn't even fall out of the tree. Then the people are worried about the dog that's long dead, and don't pay attention to the moose huffing and pawing the ground. Idiots.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #12

Name: Anita
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Colorado
I agree I saw a lot in Alaska where people thought they could get close and personal with moose and grizzly bears. Grizzly bears can run min 60 mph in a moments notice. A moose in Anchorage Alaska that ended stomping a professor to death after students repeatedly teased the moose. Wildlife is there not to be feared but respected for the magnificence nature.
Seeitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:45 PM   #13

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
There's a reason we have binoculars. I got chased by a bison while stuck in a coulee (we had no idea it was there, and we were upwind of it, heading away). Scared the hell out of me. The only thing that saved us was a dead tree across it that we used to pull ourselves out. I never want to hear the thump of hooves and not see what's coming again.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:07 AM   #14

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Jared J: They also stink when you get that close. They are bigger then a Tundra and you should see them next to a Honda Civic. Stupid things we get into.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:52 AM   #15

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
Thanks for that, its one funny commercial for sure.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Haha, on a slightly more serious note, most people that get attacked were begging for it.
You're not one with the animals, get over it.
It's not being cute, it's deciding if it's worth eating/beating you up.
The Black bear such as the one in the video or at least he started out as one is pretty common here in BC where the video was shoot. They are normally very scared of people. Even in my very urban area. Attack by a black bear on a human are actually pretty rare. We have a program called Bear Aware which teaches us what to do in the community where the black bears frequently come into the neighborhood looking for garbage, dirty BQ's and bird feeds (like candy to them) or sometimes they just want a dip in your pool or to go shopping at Safeway -its true they sometimes do. We are taught to just yell or bang a pot and they will normally run like mad. Don't stand around taking pictures of them, no matter how far away you are as you are only conditioning them to become what we call a problem bear. Just a couple of days ago a friend showed me photos of the damage down to their kitchen when a door was left open and a black bear decided to help itself to the food in their kitchen.

If we have a problem Black bear in the area the odds are someone is going to be fined for having left something out (such as garbage on a none garbage pick up day or not picking up the fruit around their trees or for having a bird feeder out) which has resulted in the bear becoming conditioned to humans & our garbage. The bear will if possible (usually is) be trapped and tagged and taken to a less populated area. 20 years ago they would have shoot the bear - not uncommon for 30 or more bears to have lost their life in our area in one year - not anymore! The bears are no longer considered the problem - people are. These days it is considered a really bad bear year if more than 1 black bear losses its life due to having displayed more aggressive behaviour around people than it should. The odds of being bitten by someones dog in our area are *far* higher than ever being bitten or attached by a Black bear in ones life time.

Yup I realize the guy in the video is brown but he is missing the hump on his shoulders that would ID him as a real Brown/Grizzly bear who are indeed ***scary scary** guys and a whole different ball game and they may well be eyeing you up as dinner!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #17

Name: Louise
Trailer: 1985 UHaul
Michigan
Carol, it sounds like your local ordinances for avoiding bear problems are excellent! I agree -- the majority of wild animal problems are actually people problems.

That said -- I grew up with the pelt of a black bear who was wandering in the winter. We never knew what brought him out of hibernation, but when he saw my aunt, he immediately charged. She was lucky to be carrying a deer rifle.
havingfunnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by havingfunnow View Post
We never knew what brought him out of hibernation, but when he saw my aunt, he immediately charged. She was lucky to be carrying a deer rifle.
Yup a bear out of hibernation is always a BIG oooppps and a reason to be very concerned if you see one. Prior to hibernation they go into what we call hyper feeding mode and thats when problems with people and bears are the most common. If you see a bear still out and about late in the year the odds are it never went into hibernation and a good bet that the reason for that is it had a continued food source some place. It happens around here and its reported you can be sure the wild life folks will be taking a much harder look around the area and in peoples back yards to try and find out who/where the source is.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #19

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Loved the video. Really had me fooled at first! And on a more serious note, the bear awareness - and general wildlife awareness and avoidance - tips are good too.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #20

Name: Troy
Trailer: Burro 13'
Kentucky
Loved the video first time I had seen it it got me

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130128_155901.png
Views:	12
Size:	391.5 KB
ID:	54723

A friend of mine gave me this yesterday out of a local newspaper.
Troy Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote