Bearing Lubrication - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2007, 12:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I posted this on the Casita forum also. Had a question about the Easy Lube feature on the Casita, so phoned Dexter engineering. This is what I was told. There is no advantage to the customer to have this on their trailer. It was designed, not for travel trailers, but for boat trailers, and that to remove water from the bearings. For travel trailer applications it is worthless.

Dexter recommends hand lubing the bearings every 12,000 miles and also replacing the seals to insure that no grease leaks onto the brake lining.

I was told that, if it made me feel better, to lubricate the bearings occasionally, between 12,000 miles, but that it was totally uneccessary to do so.

I wonder how many people who use the Easy Lube think that that is all which is required, only to experience serious problems down the road? I know I was never informed of this by Casita, and I suspect others have not been either.

Don
Donald Stahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 02:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Just like GM's Dexcool. It's supposed to last 150,000 miles. It does in the lab, but in the real world around 60,000 miles it turns into some caustic stuff that eats the plastic head gaskets. Yes the $800 to fix head gaskets.
Canada has a class action suit. I kept the parts waiting for the US suit.

Nothing is as it seems. If you change things, oil grease,coolant, etc when the accepted time comes along you will probably be alright.

Trailer wheel bearing grease for me is once a year.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote