Bed and Shower options - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-25-2015, 08:06 AM   #1

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
Bed and Shower options

Good morning. I think I already know the answer to this, but I'll ask, anyway.

My wife and I currently have a LittleGuy teardrop. We love it, but would like something without the teardrop limitations. However, bed comfort is the single biggest item in choosing a camper, and teardrops beat most stand-up campers in one area -- since we both have a door, we never have to crawl over each other to get out of bed.

We also plan to do some longer-term trips in the future, and with that in mind, we have two things on our gotta-have-it list: A permanent "walk-around" bed, and a realistically sized "dry" shower. I would prefer the bed to have actual walk-around space, rather than a scoot-down-to-the-foot arrangement, and I don't want to drench to whole bathroom every time we shower. We don't want twins - a 54" double bed is perfect for us.

Does such an animal exist, from any fiberglass manufacturer, under 3000 lbs? I am also giving some thought to a custom interior build on a Lil Snoozy.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:11 AM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Bigfoot 25B25RQ
Old 03-25-2015, 02:02 PM   #3

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
Thanks, but while Bigfoot builds a beautiful camper, it exceeds my weight target by 50%, and that's before loading it up.

I should add that I don't want a large camper. I want a smaller camper that just prioritizes the bed and bath functions. I figure I can always build one, and could do so within my weight specs, but that's a whang of a lot of work.

Maybe doing a custom interior on a Snoozy is the best option.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:00 PM   #4

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Sounds to me like the custom snooze is what you are going to have to do to meet your needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 03-25-2015, 03:03 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Paul, you may look into converting a cargo trailer into what your needs/wants are. I've seen a few done that were very nice.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:43 PM   #6

Name: Linda
Trailer: casita
Indiana
Travel lite

check out the Travel lite cobblestone i18 trailer. It isn`t fiberglass, but is small lightweight, 2,940lbs, has queen island bed, dry shower (bathroom), we have a deposit on one now. We still have a 2005 Liberty deluxe casita ,but it is for sale mainly because of the sleeping arrangements.
lhowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:03 AM   #7

Hmm... Travel Lite is about 10 miles up the road from me. I'll have to find a time to go look it over.

I am more and more taken with the idea of a custom Snoozy interior, as that way I can have exactly what I want (within the limitations of the shell), and I have the cabinetry skills.

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2015, 08:07 AM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowdy View Post
check out the Travel lite cobblestone i18 trailer. It isn`t fiberglass, but is small lightweight, 2,940lbs, has queen island bed, dry shower (bathroom), we have a deposit on one now. We still have a 2005 Liberty deluxe casita ,but it is for sale mainly because of the sleeping arrangements.
At (an alleged) 2940 lbs dry weight that trailer is going to be right at it's maximum rated weight of 3500 lbs+ once loaded and well over your 3000 lb, specification.
IMHO: Not a good situation.
What will you be towing with?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:42 AM   #9

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Paul,

I am currently moding my Snoozy. I am changing the sofa arrangement to a side dinette with swivel chairs. A custom interior would be easy if you had a blank slate. I wanted to do one but my wife was afraid it would take to long. Advise..Go for it.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:06 AM   #10

Name: Linda
Trailer: casita
Indiana
We are towing with a 2013 Chrysler T&C van with the trailer pkg from the factory. It pulled the casita Liberty great & I believe the Travel Lite is 200lbs less than it.
lhowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:01 PM   #11

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
two comments.....

walk around bed....yep, that an easy one to want...however you must be aware that you are now using up a whole lot of volume for ONE function...there is no free lunch....if small and lightweight are desirable, you start with that and any time you use some up you are left with the rest for all other uses/functions....coming from towing a teardrop to a "box" is going to be a change...gotta guard against going too big...just sayin'

the snoozy bed is innovative in that it uses space that would not normally be used....it costs a front window...and the individual at the forward end is sort of trapped there in the diminishing headroom space...but still, if it works for some it delivers an extra element for something in that size...neat!

I look at your i18 and it looks to me that the dinette is what paid a price here....I don't think you'd be doing a lot of "lounging around" at that dinette..but then, who knows?, you've got that big bed right there and maybe that's where you end up most of the time when you are not actually eating...

another aspect that seems to have taken a hit is window space....no front or back windows....the two on either side of the bed are not really a factor when you're cooking or seated at the dinette....

sure is a beautiful peice of work though (inside and out) and VERY well equipped I must say....

Second: about your comment... "I don't want to drench to whole bathroom every time we shower".....my comment would be "Keeping my bathroom spotless is a cinch, I can clean the WHOLE thing in seconds at the end of every shower"....but maybe that's just me...I'm a fan of wet baths to the point that I'm surprised somebody hasn't designed/marketed a slightly larger one for small apartments.....they "work" great IMO (my SO was close to horrified when she first imagined "living" with one....now she loves it)

good luck with your "hunt"
Attached Thumbnails
bath2.jpg   bath9c.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:05 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I would think the trick with the Snoozy would be the dry bath since the door is in the back of that unit. I really can't think of anything in the stick or molded that would fit especially having anything more than a wiggle down area on the sides of a bed. Interior width is 6'6" or 80" minus 54" for the bed would leave you with 26" thus 13" on each side of the bed.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:29 PM   #13

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
most fiberglass trailers have walk around beds. You just have to go outside to walk around 'em. :-P
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:12 PM   #14

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
most fiberglass trailers have walk around beds. You just have to go outside to walk around 'em. :-P
HA! You never know when a post around here will make you laugh.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote