Bed in Scamp 13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2020, 05:51 PM   #1

Name: Lesley
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Bed in Scamp 13

Hi, I was curious as to how people make the bed in their Scamps or similar trailers. I’m getting a 13 foot so will have to convert the bed from dinette - may leave it as a bed sometimes but not all. Do people use sheets? Just curious on what folks do. Thanks!
shrimpscampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:37 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Three things I discovered, or reconfirmed, after I got my Scamp...

1. The Scamp cushions are OK for sitting but need help if you want to sleep on them. At the least, a foam topper. At the most, a custom foam and/or spring mattress.

2. I hate changing from dinette to bed and back so much that my Scamp very quickly sported a full time bed in the rear.

3. I cannot sleep in a sleeping bag. But that's just me.. if you can use a sleeping bag, that sounds like the better option (unless its too hot). But I need sheets and blanket, which get wrapped up and twisted and turned almost inside out as I sleep.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:50 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Try two sleeping bags, zipped together. Plenty of room to flail around. One can be a 3lb and one a 5lb. with the warmer one on top in winter.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:03 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
now left as bed

we leave our bed up all the time. p/o put a foam mattress in. he didn't like doing all the work either and the bed is soo much better!

bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Three things I discovered, or reconfirmed, after I got my Scamp...

1. The Scamp cushions are OK for sitting but need help if you want to sleep on them. At the least, a foam topper. At the most, a custom foam and/or spring mattress.

2. I hate changing from dinette to bed and back so much that my Scamp very quickly sported a full time bed in the rear.

3. I cannot sleep in a sleeping bag. But that's just me.. if you can use a sleeping bag, that sounds like the better option (unless its too hot). But I need sheets and blanket, which get wrapped up and twisted and turned almost inside out as I sleep.
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:44 PM   #5

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
Bed in a 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

I also use the rear dinette as a permanent bed when camping. I have found that regular flat twin-sized sheets work just fine. After dropping the dinette table and extension into place and setting up the cushions, I lay out the first sheet and tuck it between the cushions, the wall carpeting, the seat divider to the side dinette and the stove cabinet. Then I use the second sheet as a top sheet and tuck it in only at the foot end of the bed. Finally, I use an unzippered sleeping bag as a blanket on top.

Like Gordon, I don’t like sleeping cocoon-like in a zipped-up sleeping bag. Since I usually don’t camp during winter months, the one-layer sleeping bag as a blanket has been more than adequate. If I did do winter camping, I like Glenn’s idea of zippering two sleeping bags together to form a double blanket.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:49 PM   #6

Name: Vicki
Trailer: 2019 Scamp 13' with 2015 Nissan Frontier V6
Alabama
For me, the table was too heavy awkward to move up and down every day so I removed the table (easy job). For the bed base, I cut 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood and hinged them together with a piano hinge. To make a bed, I open the hinged plywood like a book and lay out the cushions. To make a seating area, I fold up the plywood which becomes a "side table" at the back wall of the dinette.
The cushions are hard to sleep on so I got a 3" foam topper. Using a queen/king size flat sheet I sewed 3 sides to make a sack (long side left open). The foam topper goes in the sheet sack. That way I can sleep on top of a sheet with a blanket thrown over me. In the morning, I roll up the foam topper (still in the sheet-sack) and put a bungee cord around it. It works great. I am also thinking about getting a tri-fold mattress to use instead of the foam topper. I would still use the sheet-sack with it but would have a thicker mattress.
Vicki Hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 01:18 PM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: Researching
North Carolina
That's a Great Idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Try two sleeping bags, zipped together. Plenty of room to flail around. One can be a 3lb and one a 5lb. with the warmer one on top in winter.
That's simple and brilliant! I like the warmth of a sleeping bag, but too tight when zipped up. Two sleeping bags, zipped together gives you warmth and room

For solo travelers, does anyone sleep on the front couch? Is there enough room, what's the width?

Thinking about the room a solo traveler would gain with the table, and cooking and such - if you slept on the front couch.
BBQdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:18 PM   #8

Missouri
bed in the scamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
That's simple and brilliant! I like the warmth of a sleeping bag, but too tight when zipped up. Two sleeping bags, zipped together gives you warmth and room

For solo travelers, does anyone sleep on the front couch? Is there enough room, what's the width?

Thinking about the room a solo traveler would gain with the table, and cooking and such - if you slept on the front couch.

I have come up with a good solution I put kingsize spreads and blankets on the beds. I have a lot of stack to take up it tucks tightly against the back of the trailer. I tuck towels in tightly to hold it in I jump in crawl under everything wifey gets in and everthing stays in place to make the bed easier.

yes you could sleep in front but the bed would be maybe 18ins and sort of confining it can be done.

bob
Old 02-23-2020, 04:42 PM   #9

Name: joan
Trailer: in the market
Arizona
Does anybody have the larger (54" bed) and sectioned it off so that the "permanent" sleeping area is about 32" (the width of the original table) and then put the hardware from the original table onto the 22" filler piece and used it as a table (with hardware mounted into the floor). Then put 22" outdoor chair cushions (can buy at Walmart/Target) on the fiberglass benches. You might have to modify the table a bit to allow access to the seating areas. This way you could remove the table whenever you wanted and store it under the permanent bed. You could also buy a small foldup table at Walmart/Target and store it under the bed. Anybody?
starling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:44 PM   #10

Alabama
I have not tried this, but I saw where someone had removed the back of the gaucho and used it as the mattress and slept on the gaucho. Lying flat as the mattress it fit the curve of the front wall perfectly and made a cot-size bed.
I guess you could add the bottom cushion and banana cushion on top of that for an 8" thick mattress if you wanted.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:00 PM   #11

Alabama
That's what I would do if I had the big bed Scamp. You can make a U-shape with the back of the U being the bed and still have 2 small seats. You can install a floor fixture to hold a pole that would hold the small tabletop, but I would just use a folding TV table.
There are some good pics of that mod on the forum. Try searching for "Scamp bed mods". Someone here may be able to give you some links.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:04 PM   #12

Missouri
Of you want a permanent get a good foam mattress and use your so knife !!!
Old 02-23-2020, 05:36 PM   #13

Name: joan
Trailer: in the market
Arizona
Yes, a nice slab of foam, 5" thick, and start sculpting your "new" mattress.
starling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:41 PM   #14

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Sleeping on front bunk

I have done this. I removed the screws from the Top bunk/Sofa back hinges. If I plan to sleep in this bed, I lower it down on top of the bottom cushion. This gives the most width - about 2 inches more than if you slept on the bottom cushion. I place a folded towel between the two cushions out of fear that the screws that stick out of the bottom of the top cushion could damage the bottom one. I also add a two inch topper to add some softness.

While not an ideal bed, it is comfortable enough, and large enough for me. Of course, I'm a backpacker, and used to sleeping on a 22" wide mat.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:04 AM   #15

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Dont think we've ever left the bed in place. We use a memory foam over the dinette cushions covered with a queen sheet folded in half fits great..
We each have our own sleeping bag and sleep with our heads at opposite ends of the bed for extra shoulder room.
The bedding all fits in the dinette base by the sink, pillows and an electric blanket included.
Pretty much the norm since 2003.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:36 AM   #16

Name: David
Trailer: Researching
North Carolina
Wide hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
...yes you could sleep in front but the bed would be maybe 18ins and sort of confining it can be done.
Thanks for the information Bob. And that's a little tight I would need around 24" for comfort. I'm hobbit sized, so length is no issue, but I gain width with age

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
I have done this. I removed the screws from the Top bunk/Sofa back hinges. If I plan to sleep in this bed, I lower it down on top of the bottom cushion. This gives the most width - about 2 inches more than if you slept on the bottom cushion. I place a folded towel between the two cushions out of fear that the screws that stick out of the bottom of the top cushion could damage the bottom one. I also add a two inch topper to add some softness.
Thanks Lyle, this gives me an idea. Possibly adding a 24" platform (legs) to the front sofa. Not sure how it would work in a Scamp 13, with the door and kitchen cabinet.

Good information on sleeping and Scamp arrangement in this thread. Thanks all
BBQdave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp