Bed liner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2021, 05:43 AM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: In the market
Indiana
Bed liner

I’ve been searching for a fiberglass travel trailer on and off for a few years. I’ve seen several that have had the entire exterior coated in truck bed liner (rhino liner or something similar). Anyone have experience with this? I know it adds weight. Is it just added protection/ease of maintenance or something else? Anything detrimental from this type of coating?
Tomo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:43 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Sounds really dumb to me. As you mentioned, it adds weight. It also costs money. It makes doing any repairs on the outside nearly impossible. Have you done any fiberglass repair work? Step 1 is to grind the fiberglass down, taper both sides. Imagine if someone put bed liner on top of the fiberglass. I would not be happy. Sealing around hatches, or adding hatches would also be MUCH more difficult.

Have you ever tried to clean bed liner? Nearly impossible, always looks dirty, and it traps dirt. And if you go with black, its going to be a flat black camper, absorbs heat.

Lastly, with some cleaning, fiberglass bodies on these trailers last nearly forever. Notice the number of good looking, 45 to 50 year old molded FG trailers out there? Have you ever seen 50 year old bed liner?

Now on the lower front of a trailer, it can make some sense as a rock/chip guard.

IMHO, a freshly cleaned and polished 45 year old molded FG trailer looks so good. Pictures are before I repaired belly band and door sag.

If I was going to drop $$ on a vintage trailer, I'd focus on the frame first. Then I would upgrade electrical. And I would do all the maintenance stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
CD08ACA4-5D04-4F37-9DFE-6583276A2FDD_1_201_a.jpg   AAF177EF-A144-4C73-92D7-24C305EB5121_1_201_a.jpg  

F97533C2-B2BE-4924-9E14-7A67EBC78E11_1_201_a.jpg  
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:13 AM   #3

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo2 View Post
I’ve been searching for a fiberglass travel trailer on and off for a few years. I’ve seen several that have had the entire exterior coated in truck bed liner (rhino liner or something similar). Anyone have experience with this? I know it adds weight. Is it just added protection/ease of maintenance or something else? Anything detrimental from this type of coating?
People do those type modifications, and then no one wants to buy them when they are put up for sale.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:39 AM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: In the market
Indiana
Every time I see it, it seems odd and likely expensive. Also makes me think someone is trying to hide damage/a repair job. Just wondered if I was missing something.
Tomo2 is offline   Reply With Quote