Begining Glamping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #1

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Begining Glamping

Hello Folks!

Well as Im slowly getting my ParkLiner ready for camping season, I do want to add some comforts to it to increase the "homie`ness" of it. Im not adding an awning. Me and my mom were looking at it when I brought it to their house last sunday and she agree's there is no easy convenient spot to add an awning track that wouldn't spoil its streamlined good look's so Im going to go with an eazy up. I want one with a dark green top if I can find it...the belly band is going to get painted dark green to match the ParkLiner logo, and it will work with the interior green as well.

I want to keep with the colours that I used in the upholstery, and yes Im gay, but not flamboyant pink flamingo kinda gay lol. I want it to be more cabin in the woods on wheels look. I was looking but haven't found yet, brass candle lanterns at a reasonable price to hang off the ez-up to add light. I had a kerosene lantern I used with my gypsy vardo...I would prefer not to be carrying the lamp oil unless I found a great lantern at a great price.

One of my projects that hopefully will get started this weekend is a back splash for the galley. Im thinking the small colourful glass tiles to cover the ratfur. Im guessing if I took the screws out of the window the inside piece of the frame should pop out fairly easy (?) and get a piece of luan and attach the tiles to that and pop it in and put the window piece back in to hold it in place.

Any suggestions or ideas?

deryk
Attached Thumbnails
3.jpg   45.jpg  

46.jpg   38.jpg  

deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #2

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
What's your table situation? Rear bed down most of the time? Do you use the side dinette table? I'm thinking replacing the factory tabletop with something wood-ish would get you closer to a cabin kind of milieu.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #3

New Jersey
Registry
Yeah the main dinette is mainly going to be down for the queen sized bed. The side dinette, I was thinking about that... replaceing it with a shadow box plexi top so i can add things under it.

deryk

btw there are more photo's in my album
Old 02-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Deryk you might consider a pop up shelter that many of us with awnings also carry anyways. They are easy to glamp up as well - just run a led rope lights around the upper supports, hang a chandler in the center of it and you will fit right in with the glamping crowd. :-))
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #5

New Jersey
Registry
Yeah that's kinda what Im thinking about Carol. So do you add an outside 12 volt socket? I probably could wire one in and pull it through the hole where my powercord is... yay another tangled cord lol

deryk
Old 02-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #6

Registry
I only use the LED glamping lights when plugged in to save battery power so the 110 plug on the outside of the trailer or an extension from the campgrounds power post is what I normally do. Some people have little solar lights to string up on the pop up when off the grid. I have about 10 small 8" high stacked garden solar lights that pack up small I just put them up around the pop up or campsite.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #7

New Jersey
Registry
Well 110 power is out for me lol...have yet to camp in a campground.... so i would need 12 volt ligho
Old 02-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #8

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
One of my projects that hopefully will get started this weekend is a back splash for the galley. Im thinking the small colourful glass tiles to cover the ratfur.
Any suggestions or ideas? deryk
The Smart Tiles - Motif
Someone else mentioned these, but I have not found the previous post.
They are called Smart Tiles and are peel and stick although I think the OP mentioned using additional adhesive. Lots of variety, no grouting. And they are made of Gel-O, so if you get really hungry.
Couldn't find info on weight.
They appear to be available at Home Depot in US and CA
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #9

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Deryk....They make solar rope/Christmas lights. I saw them at camping world.
I have some white ones that are either on or blink that run off of 2 AA battery's and they run at least to weekends. I think the wife bought them at lowes.
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:21 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Deryk, Do you have a big lot's? Cause I had to go to the one and only ACE in our town last week and next door is a Big Lot's. I don't personally like to shop there much. Have issues with all the, made in China crap but anyway I strolled in.... They have these solar lanterns, sound a lot like what your looking for. Hang like Carol suggeseted but they have this wire, say 5ft long attached to a solar panel about the size of a mans wallet. I actually have party lights that are set up with the same lil solar panel and they work well! Anyway, your lantern is attached to your easy up. Then you run the lil wire up on top of the "easy up" into the sun........... It powers all day and lights up when the sun goes down.

Target also has been getting more and more solar patio stuff, so you might wanna check it out!

I ordered the cutest awning recently, I can't wait to glamp it up! I am putting the awning rail in, figure the cute factor of the awning will deter from the awning rail not being streamlined!

(QUOTE) deryk, but not flamboyant pink flamingo kinda gay (QUOTE)

Damn, really? Cause I got the best inspiration pic for a "pink flamingo" Chaddy! And though your not into "pink flamingo", neither am I! But I love it cause it's so goofy! I will share it anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
189358_446416638739509_1146539675_n.jpg  
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:04 PM   #11

New Jersey
Registry
lol Robin...when I think of glamping, i kinda think a bit gypsy'ish too! it dawned on me that i could run led lights off an inverter...that would work.

no edible tile lol. Ive used the glass mosaic tiles and I like them alot. just need the right colours.

deryk

deryk
Old 02-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Well 110 power is out for me lol...have yet to camp in a campground.... so i would need 12 volt ligho
LOL we dont have many provincial parks that even have power up here so not a lot of plug in time for me either. But when doing a designated Glamping week-end with the girls that normally means heading south where they do have power in State parks - in part due to the extreme amount of power required for many of the extras that are brought along for such trips. But I would as others suggest stick with solar lights rather than 12volt for my day to day camping. As you know 12 volt is a recourse not to be plundered on the unnecessary Take a look in the garden sections of stores like Walmart this spring you should find lots of different solar light options or wait for next Christmas to roll around for even more.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:32 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My wife picked up a string of fish party lights.
But, somehow, I always forget to pack them.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #14

New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
My wife picked up a string of fish party lights.
But, somehow, I always forget to pack them.

Lol!

Well I'm gonna be looking into a smaller rooftop solar panel to get some extra power...not planning on always fireing up the generator... but when its a hot one my batteries will be getting charged via the generator and having air conditioning... I ordered my Yamaha yesterday.

deryk
Old 02-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
There are 12V LED strips available. While I got mine at Bulbs America, dimmer versions are now available from eBay at far less if you do a search. If you are going to use it outside, be sure to get a waterproof version - they insert the strip in a clear tube. They can be cut every 3 SMDs to what ever length you need & leads soldered to the left overs to make more strips.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #16

Quote:
lol Robin...when I think of glamping, i kinda think a bit gypsy'ish too! it dawned on me that i could run led lights off an inverter...that would work.

deryk

Oh, I bet I might even have a gypsy'ish chaddy inspiration pic's.... Give me a bit, I might just find you the perfect one!
Old 02-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #17

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
So the fun begins. You're going to have a lot of fun putting your glamper together. I've been doing that too. I think I told you I'm going with a vintage cowgirl theme. I went to Texas this week for a wedding and had a great time hunting through antique and junk stores in the Texas hill country. The thrill of the hunt!
I considered the pop-up awning too. I think that's a great option. Keep us posted.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #18

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
I've seen glass tiles used in Airstream trailers in both kitchen and bathroom application and think the look fantastic. Great idea.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:52 PM   #19

FYI, Deryk

I was at Hobby Lobby, Lowes, Ross and even Kmart (I didn't even know N, CO still had Kmarts till I ran across one today). Anyway, they all had Gypsy type LED, Battery/Solar lanterns!

Deryk, have you seen where people are doing backsplashes with those glass, flower arrangement fillers? Kinda like flat marbles? Come in great colors and inexpensive!
Old 03-02-2013, 06:57 AM   #20

New Jersey
Registry
Thanks Robin...Yeah that is a thought if I can't find the tile I like. I was even looking at some you tube video's on tileing lol. Its scary how the next 2 months my weekends are already getting filled with stuff and there is already 4 camping events planned ...1 in march and 3 so far in april. I feel for the people tent camping but as long as it isn't snowy/icy me and my ParkLiner are heading out to play.

Im probably heading to lowes or home depot today... want to start on the backsplash. I wont do more then make coffee in my caravan with the ratfur backsplash.

deryk