Best 6 cylinder minivan for towing - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-21-2015, 08:47 PM   #21

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1999
I have owned 3 Dodge minivans (since 1985 till present) and am considering a fourth one. None of the ones I owned ever had tranny failures. But towing even a 13' scamp brings possible transmission failures to mind, hence my concern to buy one to tow with.

With that said all 2012+ Chrysler vans come with a heavy duty alternator, engine oil cooler and a transmission cooler. If you add the towing package, it comes with hitch and 7 pin trailer wiring.

But can the transmissions withstand the rigors of towing??:
Mark J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:57 PM   #22

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
I have a Honda Odyssey and have towed a 13' Scamp from CA to MA to FL to the Canadian Rockies with no issues.

I believe in 2007 the Odyssey got the heavier duty transmission from the Ridgeline and their transmission issues ended at that time. I also strongly recommend the transmission cooler.

Concerning reputations, I have heard of some ongoing issues with the Chrysler minivans and minimal issues with the Honda and Toyota. The Honda has a little better driving feel and is my personal preference. My brother has a Toyota. We have both found them to be reliable.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:13 AM   #23
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
I keep reading reference to using the manual. This is good info to a point but it is very limited especially when wanting an understanding about reliability and actual performance.

It is no secret that since cave man times Mini Vans have had a 2,000lb tow rating, and with the tow pkg they get a 3,500 lb rating.

There is more to it than that. When you look deeper into the vehicle specs that is where you find out what the individual models are all about.

It is no secret the older Chrysler offerings were weak and problematic.

By contrast, Nissan for example built a very stout mini van with their 1st generation Quest. I can talk about this vehicle from experience. Our 93 towed for 100's of hours all over the country. We still had it when it was 17 years old and at that time was still running great with 465,000klm's on it. The tranny* never had an issue and only had a couple fluid changes over its life time.

The rest of the drive train was original including universal joints, engine* etc.

* The tranny used in these vans were from the V8 Q45 Infiniti sedan. Very reliable and robust.

*The 3.0L 150HP V6 needed a head bolt replaced (it had a factory defect) not related to all the trailer towing.

The vehicle had the tow pkg (3,500) lb rating.

So you really need to look into the different offerings. Check out long term towing experience of others and review what they are towing. Find out what tranny the manufacturer is putting in the vehicle*. This really gives one a better idea of how they actually perform.

*Note the tranny in the 5,000 tow rated Honda Ridgeline is the same one used in the Pilot and Odyssey Mini Van.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:15 AM   #24

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I towed for a while with a Chrysler mini van with no issues. I also have towed with a 6 cylinder Buick Enclave. Much better tow vehicle. I have before and again tow with a Chevy pickup for reasons unrelated to any inadequate things about thevan or Enclave. Granted, the Enclave is not a mini van but is very similar in concept and usage.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:32 AM   #25
MC1

Ontario
Bob, I agree with you about the Enclave. There are some reviews out there about their overall towing abilities and they are very, very capable vehicles.
That top rating comes from the finer details. Long travel quality suspension that soaks up the bumps and smooths out the ride. A drive train that is HD, etc.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:22 AM   #26

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
I have a 2008 Town & Country that had its first transmission replacement at 45k miles and it feels like there's another replacement coming on. Not sure if the problem is bad engineering or bad mechanics, although judging from former work done at this particular dealership, I'd lean HEAVILY on bad mechanics.

It is the most comfortable vehicle I've had (and that includes the '56 Caddy)....I can drive for 20 hours and STILL be able to walk upright after arriving at my destination! Yay! I like the seating which allows me to carry my daughter and her seven kids, OR put all the seats down and carry my dog in his large veri-kennel, perfectly flat.

Frankly, if I had it to do over, I would just get a Caravan though...less cost, same benefits.

Oh, and I was told, the "newer" (includes my year) vehicles has a transmission cooler already installed, so an additional one is not needed. However, considering the mechanics who told me this, maybe NOT.

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:38 PM   #27
MC1

Ontario
Best Mini Van without a doubt

Hands down this Sienna with a few mods (550 HP) is the way to go.

EDIT***** Whoops, on review I see that this may be a V8 Mini Van and is out of the running.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:17 PM   #28

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Hands down this Sienna with a few mods (550 HP) is the way to go.

EDIT***** Whoops, on review I see that this may be a V8 Mini Van and is out of the running.
Did they make a version with an egg in the back?
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:12 PM   #29

Trailer: Casita
Registry
I have a 06 Town & Country. I have used it to tow a 16' Casita and now have a 16' Scamp. I use a Weight Distribution hitch too. I have not had any problems. I am currently looking for a newer one with the factory tow package. That comes with extras that will make it better. In the mean time I'm adding a cooler to be safe. The newer ones after at least 06 have a bigger more powerful V6. They are rated at 3600 lbs. tow capacity.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:04 AM   #30
MC1

Ontario
Gene.. You will be happy to learn that long term/long mileage tests have shown the newer Dodge/Chrysler vans are very robust/capable TV's for ultra lite trailers.

There was a good article in RV Lifestyle mag a while ago.
Attached Thumbnails
dodge 1 caravan1 - Copy.jpg  
Old 02-23-2015, 07:43 AM   #31

Registry
Didn't know of that article but I have looked at the new ones and noticed they have increased horsepower & other improvements.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:52 AM   #32

Registry
I just check out the mag. Here's one article about the T&C. Seems they really like it too. They recommend the towing package and WDH too.
Venture RV Sonic 190VRB - RV Lifestyle Magazine
Old 02-23-2015, 08:04 AM   #33
MC1

Ontario
Yes Gene, and that Sonic is infused fiberglass which is a good thing.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:05 AM   #34

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Yes, yes, yes, get an aux transmission cooler installed. Heat is the #1 enemy of automatic transmissions and the factory intercooler system only assures that the transmission will get just as hot as the engine on hot days and hard pulls.

And, unless there is already a large external transmission cooler installed, I say shame on the hitch installer and mechanic for thinking otherwise. As mentioned above, talk to a Chrysler dealership mechanic, they know those transaxles.

BTW: I went through 2 in 115,00 miles in my Dodge minivan, both lasted almost exactly 50,001 miles each and the only extra load I had was for a motorized wheel chair on a rear carrier.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:08 AM   #35

Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Gene.. You will be happy to learn that long term/long mileage tests have shown the newer Dodge/Chrysler vans are very robust/capable TV's for ultra lite trailers.

There was a good article in RV Lifestyle mag a while ago.

It is of this article that it is question :

In the article it is specified to make sure to deal with somebody who knows there, to install the good attachments between the vehicle and the caravan...

Thank you Gene for this article, it gives me many answers to my questions.

Have a good day.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:18 AM   #36
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
I
In the article it is specified to make sure to deal with somebody who knows there, to install the good attachments between the vehicle and the caravan...
So true Gilles. One reads page after page about TV's yet very few will mention the importance of the connection and overall setup, especially since most are not as good as they could be.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:33 AM   #37

Registry
I sent them a message asking why no articles about molded fiberglass campers. Waiting for a response. May be more of us should message them also. Lets "beat our drums", & get noticed.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:47 AM   #38
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
It is of this article that it is question :

Not the same one Gilles but that is a good one. There are a number of others that have a similar message about the capabilities of the Chrysler/dodge vans.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:59 AM   #39

Name: Shawn
Trailer: In market for scamp 13
Nebraska
Thanks folks. I bought a 2008 Honda odyssey. Hoping to order a scamp 16 for next year!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Coletrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:43 AM   #40

Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coletrain View Post
Thanks folks. I bought a 2008 Honda odyssey. Hoping to order a scamp 16 for next year!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Congradulations!