Best additional 12V plug - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-08-2020, 11:56 AM   #21

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Doug View Post
... They are built for 12 to 14 gauge wire but if you spread the connector just a tiny bit with something like one half of a needle nose plier end, you can easily insert 10 ga wire. Of course, use the correct Anderson crimper.

45 amp Powerpole terminals are available for 10 gauge wire.

https://www.qsradio.com/shop-now.htm...tegory=8415250
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 07:15 PM   #22

Name: Antonio
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Dallas
I also use Anderson plug, I have no problems with them so far.
Recently, we have purchased a toilet from the Toto brand which is the Toto Aimes https://bestflushingtoilets.org/toto...oilet-reviews/. SO far we are loving this flushing toilet as it is elegantly built to complete modern bathrooms, but it is their water-efficiency and comfort that wows us more.
Blimpdow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:25 PM   #23

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggledude View Post
Raspy,

The previous owner of my Casita had a similar setup.. i'm left with a very nice set of 6g wires and an anderson connector at my tongue. I intend to add the wire to my Toyota Tundra, but am not perfectly clear on the under the hood setup.. would you be willing to post a pic?

Thanks,

Royce
My under hood setup is very simple. Just the breaker, which is also a cutoff switch. The black wires connected to the battery with the copper connectors are the plus and minus to the Anderson plug. The plus goes through the breaker.

Here's a link to the breaker: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are a couple of pix:
Attached Thumbnails
1-6.jpeg   1-5.jpeg  

Old 03-08-2020, 10:56 PM   #24

Name: Royce
Trailer: Casita
Santa Rosa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
My under hood setup is very simple. Just the breaker, which is also a cutoff switch. The black wires connected to the battery with the copper connectors are the plus and minus to the Anderson plug. The plus goes through the breaker.

Here's a link to the breaker: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are a couple of pix:
Many thanks! I had found this breaker on Amazon, but I had chosen a 50amp version, to match the rating of the connector, anticipated load, etc....why did you go with a 60?

Forgive me if I'm asking basic questions, I'm an electrical newbie.
Juggledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:30 PM   #25

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
So I am looking to install a renogy DC-DC converter in my setup for safe charging while driving from TV to Trailer.

The 7 pin connector ampacity is a little low to use and the renogy also needs a + signal to start the charge (typically from the ignition on). I could leave the charger in the TV and then only need the 2 wires to my battery but I am not settled on either way yet.

What is the best additional connector system? need possibly 3 wires and 2 of them need to handle 20A (I am looking at the renogy 20A unit).

Thanks!
Like many others you are getting confused with the terminology and meaning and use of the words inverter, converter, charger. Renogy does not make a DC to DC converter.

There are battery chargers that plug into an AC outlet and then convert it to DC. An example of that is a car charger you plug into the AC wall outlet at your home and then connect to your vehicles' battery.

But a battery charger that is run from a 12v DC source and is used to charge a 12v DC source does not need to do any converting since both power types are a match. Those are called DC to DC chargers. Calling it a DC to DC converter is incorrect, it is not a converter, it does no conversion. Renogy does sell a DC to DC charger, but they do not sell a DC to DC converter. They also do not sell a charger that converts AC to DC.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:17 AM   #26

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggledude View Post
Many thanks! I had found this breaker on Amazon, but I had chosen a 50amp version, to match the rating of the connector, anticipated load, etc....why did you go with a 60?

Forgive me if I'm asking basic questions, I'm an electrical newbie.
I want the breaker to be a safety high limit cutoff, or to protect in case of a short, but I don't want it tripping when I charge the batteries. The #6 wires can handle 60 amps, at least for some time, and the charging characteristics of car alternators is that they will surge to a high amp at first and then taper off. My alternator is 220 amps, but I don't know how many amps will be sent through the #6 wire if the trailer batteries are discharged. So, the 60 was a guess to protect the wire, and not likely to click off when the batteries are low. The Anderson plug should not be damaged with a short term 60 amp load.

So far, I'm getting a high charge rate and no problems, but I have not measured how many amps are initially in that circuit. It is a much higher amount than gets to the trailer from the seven pin plug.

My trailer came from the factory with #6 wires running from the batteries to the tongue and terminated at a 50 amp Anderson plug waiting to be plugged in to the tow vehicle. It also has a 50 amp breaker next to the batteries on that circuit.