Best all around sealant? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-18-2016, 12:23 AM   #1

Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Best all around sealant?

I've got a few things that I would like give an extra layer of protection but I don't want to have 3 or 4 tubes of caulk laying around. There are so many sealers mentioned that I am very confused and was wondering if someone can help me out with purchasing a single sealant that will do everything I would like to accomplish.

I would like to put some caulking around the windows, led running lights, belly band, seal various exterior fittings such as the city water connection, water fill, trailer and shore power connections and also around the interior sink and faucet.

Right now I have a tube of butyl caulk laying around but some people have mentioned that it doesn't set up and dirt sticks to it so id like to make sure I get the best stuff for my use.
Bluetang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:31 AM   #2

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetang99 View Post
I've got a few things that I would like give an extra layer of protection but I don't want to have 3 or 4 tubes of caulk laying around. There are so many sealers mentioned that I am very confused and was wondering if someone can help me out with purchasing a single sealant that will do everything I would like to accomplish.

I would like to put some caulking around the windows, led running lights, belly band, seal various exterior fittings such as the city water connection, water fill, trailer and shore power connections and also around the interior sink and faucet.

Right now I have a tube of butyl caulk laying around but some people have mentioned that it doesn't set up and dirt sticks to it so id like to make sure I get the best stuff for my use.
Pro-flex - Comes in several colours. Stays flexible. Approx. $14 CDN Whatever you do, don't use silicone anything!
Old 05-18-2016, 12:34 AM   #3

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbinBC View Post
Pro-flex - Comes in several colours. Stays flexible. Approx. $14 CDN Whatever you do, don't use silicone anything!
I did see that one mentioned and that it was good. I'll check it out, thanks.

I had that sealant in and out of my shopping cart on Amazon while trying to decide on something. Then I started looking further and things like self leveling, super sticky, horizontal only sealant came up and just confused the heck out of me.

Edit....Amazon has two versions of geocel proflex, one that comes in a white tube for $14 and another in a blue tube labeled Pro Flex Super Flexible Elastomeric Sealant Acrylic Clear for $9. Are these basically the same thing?
Old 05-18-2016, 06:03 AM   #4

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
newbie limited experience

We've been working on our 1991 Scamp and installed the sliding rear window as well as re-sealing the roof vent and used butyl tape on both with complete success. Of course this is very limited experience but it has earned my respect so far.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:04 AM   #5

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I swear by Lexel. Sticks to just about anything. Gets super reviews on a variety of sites.
Lexel® by Sashco - Silicone Caulk Alternative
Don't seal the marking lights, or any other lights with it, they will be difficult to repair. (Even LED's don't last forever.)
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:22 AM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I have used the ProFlex and like it. Amazon has increased their free shipping minimum to $45 now. Camping World has it too, but I've found several sellers on ebay that sell it with free shipping so a little comparative shopping may be good. I wish they would sell the ProFlex in smaller squeeze tubes because often I only need a small amount. As with any caulk gun size tube, once you open it, it's hard to reseal and eventually hardens in the tube. I recently found I had a squeeze tube of Lexel, went to use a little to install a power cord hatch on a pop-up, and guess what, it had set up in the tube.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:39 AM   #7

Trailer: Predom Prespol (N126N) Captain
Registry
Butyl caulk

We used butyl rubber caulking and as long as it isn't "exposed" to bugs and dirt, it works great. I concur with never using silicone. It may work for fish tanks, but not for outside exposures. My eavestrough seams were caulked with silicone when installed. Bad choice (roof guy is fixing it as we speak).
Jennifer Minogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:53 AM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: Outfitter truck campper
Colorado
Big Stretch. Many colors, stays flexible. Easy to work with. About $7+- a tube. I just buy the clear and use it on everything. It paints up well too. Never cracks.
TomandCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:56 AM   #9

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Another vote for LEXEL.....it is what RV dealers use...if you only have one make it LEXEL.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:02 AM   #10

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Most of the RV dealers around here recommend Proflex for walls, and Dicor for roofs. I have used both, and can highly recommend them.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:06 AM   #11

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Yes...Dicor self-leveling for roofs but the post wanted one general caulk for a fiberglass RV and they do not have roof seams and never leak ?

The flex factor for LEXEL seems to be superior.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:06 AM   #12

New Jersey
If this lexel caulk is left exposed will it attract dirt and stick to it like butyl or would it be OK?
Old 05-18-2016, 01:29 PM   #13
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
If this lexel caulk is left exposed will it attract dirt and stick to it like butyl or would it be OK?
No dirt. I like lexel but the down side is it cures very quickly. Once out of the tube, you get about 10 seconds to do any tooling. So if your one of those talented folks that can lay a bead of caulk that looks perfect out of the tube, this could be the stuff for you. If you're like the rest of us...... Comes in white and clear. Ace sells it in a small tube for about $5. Try it. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:34 PM   #14

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
No dirt. I like lexel but the down side is it cures very quickly. Once out of the tube, you get about 10 seconds to do any tooling. So if your one of those talented folks that can lay a bead of caulk that looks perfect out of the tube, this could be the stuff for you. If you're like the rest of us...... Comes in white and clear. Ace sells it in a small tube for about $5. Try it. Raz
One of the other nice thing about Lexel is it sticks to wet surfaces .
That feature comes in handy when you need to stop a leak while it's raining.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:13 PM   #15

New Jersey
Quote:
Definitely not that good at caulking, I will have my wife smooth it right away following me as I caulk.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:36 PM   #16

Name: Pamelia
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
If you're close to any marine supplier check out their supplies! I love the selection, for every need. Mind you I live next to the ocean.
Pamelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:48 PM   #17
Raz

I know you want a one solution product, but I don't think I would use anything besides butyl tape for windows and vents. I've used lexel around the lights but when I redid windows butyl was my first choice. A while back a member sealed the butyl with a caulk to keep it clean. I'm not that ambitious but that might be a better solution. Just a thought. Raz
Old 05-18-2016, 03:52 PM   #18

New Jersey
Quote:
I know you want a one solution product, but I don't think I would use anything besides butyl tape for windows and vents. I've used lexel around the lights but when I redid windows butyl was my first choice. A while back a member sealed the butyl with a caulk to keep it clean. I'm not that ambitious but that might be a better solution. Just a thought. Raz
There is butyl tape around the windows, I figured since I'm doing everything else I might as well add some caulking to the windows as extra protection. The windows don't leak or anything so we'll see, maybe I'll just do everything else and leave the windows for some other time.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:00 PM   #19
Raz

Quote:
There is butyl tape around the windows, I figured since I'm doing everything else I might as well add some caulking to the windows as extra protection. The windows don't leak or anything so we'll see, maybe I'll just do everything else and leave the windows for some other time.
Actual the butyl is between the window flange and the trailer wall. If it ain't leaking, leave it alone. A little caulk on the butyl will make it look better but if it ever leaks, pull the window and reseal with new butyl tape. . Caulk around the window won't solve a leak. We have hundreds of stories of new owners removing caulk applied by previous owners . Good luck, Raz
Old 05-18-2016, 06:49 PM   #20

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Listen to Raz. That's the best advice I can give.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote