Best and worst additions in 2017 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2018, 06:40 PM   #1

Name: nancy
Trailer: 19' Scamp Deluxe
Tennessee
Registry
Best and worst additions in 2017

Our 2004 16 foot Scamp came with a Dometic awning, that was a real pain.
We ordered a Fiamma awning, and had a local RV place install it.... we LOVE it!
Much easier to operate, and, though it required more drilling, I like the fact that we can put the legs into the side of the Scamp.
We absolutely love chillaxing under the awning, after a day of hiking/exploring. And, if it is raining, keeps us dry.

OK, a not-so-good addition last year:
the hitch on the back for attaching a bike rack.
We CAN maneuver our bikes into the Scamp, but it is a pain, and one of these days, I know we will rip our screen door.

My husband installed a hitch on the back, and I bought the lightest weight bike rack I could find, but the sway was just too much.
Perhaps we need to fiddle around more with the weight distribution inside the Scamp, to even things out.

I have seen the bike racks mounted on the front of the Scamp, but I am not ready to spend that additional money just yet.

I would like to hear how YOU have toted your bikes, if you aren't towing with a truck.
nancyrnfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:56 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Best and worst additions in 2017

One inside and two on the back, and yes, we have to be careful how we load. I think it may actually be a little easier on the 13' model than the 16'. We carry our First-Up awning and camp chairs on the front sofa and large ice chest on the floor next to the sofa. The inside bicycle rides upside down, handlebars strapped to the awning- very quick and easy to load, rock-solid stable. Only very light stuff- pillows and sleeping bags- in the dinette area. No sway (tested up to 70 mph, though we never tow over 65).
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:43 PM   #3

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
We bought 2 used Dahon folding bikes. They stow nicely in our backseat.
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:57 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
What did you do with your Catalina 2500 which came on your trailer?
Do you want to sell it?
BTW It is supplied with the brackets to attach the legs to the trailer.(not recommended)
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:21 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyrnfit View Post
My husband installed a hitch on the back, and I bought the lightest weight bike rack I could find, but the sway was just too much.
Perhaps we need to fiddle around more with the weight distribution inside the Scamp, to even things out.
I have seen the bike racks mounted on the front of the Scamp, but I am not ready to spend that additional money just yet.
I would like to hear how YOU have toted your bikes, if you aren't towing with a truck.
I think you hit the nail on the head Nancy, it's all in the weight distribution. Different TTs handle bikes on the rear better than others and loading heavier things to the front to increase your TW may fix it. Another thing to consider may be a bike roof rack on your tug also.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:35 PM   #6

Name: Vicki
Trailer: Casita 16' Freedom Deluxe
Missouri
I had a hitch installed on the front of my pickup which I tow with. Use a hitch-mounted bike rack, works great. Carry 2 bikes if I have company, or 1 if only for me.
GlassCastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:13 PM   #7

Name: Gib
Trailer: Scamp Shopper
Minnesota
We use a couple of Yakima FrontLoader rooftop racks. Holds the bikes nice and steady. Keeps weight off the tongue and off the back of the trailer.
agibsonw is offline   Reply With Quote