Best App for Traffic, Construction, and Getting Unlost! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2014, 06:45 PM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Best App for Traffic, Construction, and Getting Unlost!

I tried a different route returning from the outer banks. I knew it would be a little longer, but I thought it would be on better roads with less wandering through the countryside. Plus gas in VA is much cheaper than gas in NC so I wanted to get to VA to fill up.

The road leading into and in Elizabeth City was under construction. Then I got on rt 17, which is why I went this way. and it was also under construction. When I got to I64, the major intersection was under construction and signs were confusing (even though I somewhat know the area).

The sign said turn right for Richmond and the problem is you can get to Richmond by going through either tunnel, so I guessed and guessed wrong. I ended up heading toward VA Beach instead of Suffolk.

I got off at the 1st intersection figuring I could just get back on I64 going the right direction. No entrance ramp back on to 64. So I continued on looking for an intersection I might recognize. Now I'm stuck on a bridge leading into S Norfolk waiting for 2 ships to pass under the raised bridge. Fortunately, when I got over the bridge there was a sign directing me back to I64, so I only wasted about 30 minutes

So what App might have prevented me from getting in this mess in the 1st place and what app could I have used when I was stuck on the bridge for 15 minutes to map my way out?

Thanks
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
A GPS with all these functions.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:09 PM   #3

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
A GPS with all these functions.
Our DD has to drive an hour to and from work daily,she uses Google Maps to keep her up to date on all traffic and road conditions.

I'm sure there is a GPS APP in the Apple App Store that will do all those things too. I have no suggestions,but I just bit if you give it a little while someone will come up with some good ideas for you to look at.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:15 PM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: '75 Trillium 1300
Arizona
Waze is a decent one... Besides the map functions, they have a lot of user generated info like speed cameras, construction, etc.
Kelly H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:12 AM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Gps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly H View Post
Waze is a decent one... Besides the map functions, they have a lot of user generated info like speed cameras, construction, etc.

Kelly,
I agree that Waze is a pretty good app. I like it a lot better that Google Maps.
Because it works and it is free!
Thanks
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:49 AM   #6

Name: Nate
Trailer: 1981 Casita 13. TV: 2011 Honda CR-V
Wisconsin
Registry
Waze for sure!
Nate R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:01 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Problem is using your cellphone while driving is illegal in most places these days.

I agree with the others that getting GPS that has the traffic function on it is the better option. Its kept me out of trouble/traffic issues many times.

Costco sells a couple of Garmins that have lifetime traffic support for under $130.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:05 AM   #8

Arkansas
Gps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Problem is using your cellphone while driving is illegal in most places these days.

I agree with the others that getting GPS that has the traffic function on it is the better option. Its kept me out of trouble/traffic issues many times.

Costco sells a couple of Garmins that have lifetime traffic support for under $130.
Carol, you are correct about cell phones. But there are devices that can hold your cell phone and Waze will talk to you! It is just like a wife, all you have to do is follow directions!
Old 06-25-2014, 09:18 AM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut501 View Post
Carol, you are correct about cell phones. But there are devices that can hold your cell phone and Waze will talk to you! It is just like a wife, all you have to do is follow directions!
Glad to hear your wife has trained you well! Some guys never get it

Yup there are holders but my experience has been that using the GPS function on a 4 or 6 hour drive will suck back data quickly so unless you have an unlimited data plan be prepared to pay a large bill at the end of the month when on a trip of a week or more.

Second and probable more important is that it still is not all that uncommon for there to be no cellphone service in many areas - or if there is its a good bet its not the carrier you have on your phone. Just spent the week-end with no cellphone coverage just a hour outside of a major city - oh yes there was a very weak signal for those which a different carrier. LOL But the GPS still worked fine.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:52 AM   #10

Arkansas
Gps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Glad to hear your wife has trained you well! Some guys never get it

Yup there are holders but my experience has been that using the GPS function on a 4 or 6 hour drive will suck back data quickly so unless you have an unlimited data plan be prepared to pay a large bill at the end of the month when on a trip of a week or more.

Second and probable more important is that it still is not all that uncommon for their to be no cellphone service in many areas - or if there is its a good bet its not the carrier you have on your phone. Just spent the week-end with no cellphone coverage just a hour outside of a major city - oh yes there was a very weak signal for those which a different carrier. LOL But the GPS still worked fine.

Carol,
Thanks for the information on cell phone vs GPS! I usually on use my cell phone in large cities for directions. I use ATT and they seem to have fair coverage for the areas that I visit. But, I will look into getting a cheap GPS, because I do not need all of the bells and whistles.