Best camp chair? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-25-2016, 05:55 PM   #21

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
I love your fence setup! Is your little dog on a wheelie assist? Very awesome.
Yes, I just put up 3 or 4 xpens. Jack can get out no matter how high they are (and will if I leave) so I just use low ones that keep Oliver and Sadie put. Oliver is the one in the cart.

Funny thing about the recliner, though- it sits on my back patio the rest of the time and he never sits in it there. But if I'm in the trailer and he is outside in the fence (he'll stay in if I'm there) he loves to sit in the chair. Go figure.

Oliver gets a spare Casita cushion that I put outside on camping trips.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:00 PM   #22

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
We have the Coleman Portable Deck Chair with side table. We bought ours at Big 5 for $30 on sale. We love them because they are sturdy, comfortable AND that side table is great for snacking around the campfire or dining when there is no picnic table. We store ours side by side on top of the bed in the trailer. BTW, we also carry a hammock!

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:57 AM   #23

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
In the end, it's NOT about the chair(s) that work best for US, it's your back, your budget and what exactly you NEED to have an outdoor comfortable chair...
: ) What Donna said.

And for Cari and I, since room in the van is at a premium we went with small comfortable chairs from a company called Alite out of San Francisco CA.

Even when we had the Parkliner we still had the Alite chairs inside the van as we would use them everyday out on mini adventures such as an afternoon drive/picknic. When we had the Parkliner we purchased a couple of the Strongback chairs and for us they were ok, but not near the comfort and portability of the Alites. We included the two SB chairs in the closet of the Parkliner when it headed out the driveway with the new owners.

We have four Alite chairs.

One Monarch for me, and if I could only have one chair for the rest of my life it would be this one! This style has a two pad on ground design, You use your two feet as the other two "pads". This allows all sorts of comfy positions.

I take it in my day pack and sit and go zen on the views every trip out.

One Mantis for Cari, a four-pad stable design. She uses it down by the river but prefers the regular height of the "Bison" seen in the camp shot with van in this post.
Mantis:

And then we have two Alite "Bison" chairs as mentioned. We prefer these when eating as they are regular height camp/patio chairs yet still fold up to a bundle that is about 4" x 12" in a stuff sack.

Overall, IF the Alite designs fit your body and budget they are great products backed by a company that has the best customer service I've encountered. We had one of the aluminum tubes break on Cari's Mantis while she accidentally got out of the chair wrong on a slope/hillside. I called Alite and explained the event in detail. After a "Is she ok?" comment from the phone-rep, he stated they would sent out the replacement at no cost ASAP. It arrived that week! And the chair was over three years old! THAT is great customer service.

You can find Alite chairs at any good outdoor store or online, even amazon.

Cheers,
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:04 AM   #24

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post

https://www.rei.com/product/898893/e...ampfire-rocker

Right now the chair is in their closeout section at half price so if you want one you need to commit very soon or it will be gone.
I bought one thinking I'd like it and if not friends could use it on my back patio. The color is perfect. But I don't like it at all. Just doesn't sit right- leaves me leaning forward instead of relaxing backwards.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:21 AM   #25

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Favorite Camping Chairs

Here's a couple pictures of my favorite camping chairs.

For trailer "camping" there's a different set of chairs.
Attached Thumbnails
chaair 2.jpg   camp chair.jpg  

Old 08-30-2016, 01:04 PM   #26

Name: steve
Trailer: Escape
Washington
Registry
https://gcioutdoor.com/directors-cha...rectors-chair/

these are pretty comfy and fold down pretty small (a top criteria for us). Takes a little squirt of Boeshield T9 lube to keep 'em smooth flowing! could use a footstool!

Crazy Creek chairs are also a favorite. CHAIRS Camp | Logo | Stadium | Backpack | Tailgating | Outdoor Furniture | Corporate Gifts

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:16 PM   #27

Name: Glen
Trailer: Coachmen
California
Friends just got a pair of Kawartha camp chairs Exo Nomad
Solid, easy to carry and fold/unfold quickly.
glamfib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 04:14 PM   #28

Name: Todd
Trailer: Boler
Indiana
After several years of using $8 bag chairs and complaining about it, we finally picked up a pair of Kijaro Dual Lock chairs on sale at Cabelas (also available at Dick's). So glad we did, as these are great.

Though, I think we may try some of these other ideas when ours wear out - few things beat a comfy chair!

http://m.dickssportinggoods.com/prod...FUUvgQodOxUG8w

1974 Boler 13
2016 Nissan Pathfinder
Indiana Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 04:31 PM   #29

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
We have folding rocking chairs. Hard to find, but they are worth it. Everytime we pull them out, people ask, where did you ever find those?

Our chairs are almost 20 years old now. Found a backup at a garage sale last summer. 20 years out of a folding chair = outstanding.
thrifty bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:52 PM   #30

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
We have folding rocking chairs. Hard to find, but they are worth it. Everytime we pull them out, people ask, where did you ever find those?

Our chairs are almost 20 years old now. Found a backup at a garage sale last summer. 20 years out of a folding chair = outstanding.
I have some 13 year old folding rockers but they don't fold after a few winters left outside near the water. Still quite solid though, but too heavy for camping. They came in a set from Walmart along with a little table (which rusted worse than the chairs). I got Mom a folding canvas rocker for camping though at the moment it is upstairs in my guest room.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:15 PM   #31

Name: Marina
Trailer: 1978 Biggar / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
British Columbia
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1474344835.205157.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	99919
My dog loved this chair that I got for him from Campingworld.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-19-2016, 10:19 PM   #32

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Tony!

Jasper likes curling up in a chair like that too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:48 PM   #33

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
R.I.P. Charly.
Attached Thumbnails
charly fire 1.jpg  
Old 09-20-2016, 08:55 AM   #34

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinab View Post
Attachment 99919
My dog loved this chair that I got for him from Campingworld.
TONYYYYY!

It looks like you were being real mean to him that day Marina. He is missing his blanket! :lout

Miss him!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:25 PM   #35

Name: Marina
Trailer: 1978 Biggar / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
British Columbia
Registry
I miss him too Carol, that boy was one in a million. He didn't have his blanket cause it was a hot summer day in Victoria, BC.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-20-2018, 07:51 AM   #36

Name: Craig
Trailer: currently shoping
Florida
The frontrunner chairs are the older version of the GCI Xpress chairs before they changed them. They used to come with a case with backpack straps. I bought 4 about 10 years ago and have replaced two in that time. Super durable and sturdy since they are mostly metal, but that also makes them heavy. Ours mainly go camping, on river trips and soccer games, the backpack cases are nice for that. The water and sand beat them up on river trips and they keep going strong. The only place we've had the couple break have been in the joint of the lower legs since there's a plastic sleeve in between the inner and outer leg poles. If that breaks you are hosed or what happened is if it snaps, then you end up bending the chair right there. Sometimes you can bend it back. But if things don't line up you can't collapse the chair and then it's pretty much done.

It's also pretty funny to try to watch someone who isn't a puzzle solver and isn't familiar try to break the chair back down, I've seen it outsmart a few people, even though it seems super easy.

I can't stand those normal walmart zero gravity chairs https://10restbest.com/best-zero-gravity-chair re that feel like you are sitting in a bucket, these director chairs have been really good. I think when I need to replace one or two of these, I'll probably keep the old cases and get the frontrunners, I haven't tried the newer version of the GCI where the back is attached to the seat. It's a bummer they got rid of the pockets on the sides.
Thelless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:14 PM   #37

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Wink chairs

we use our old knock off's of the kelty above..from Costco...cheap and simple to fold.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:09 PM   #38

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
We have lots of chairs of different types. A different chair for each vehicle.
It seems that I have concentrated more on what transports best over what is most comfortable. Our latest chairs fold down to the size of a loaf of bread. great for transport or carrying to a campfire, you can even scrunch down enough to have it support the back of your head in comfort.
Having a chair with a high enough back for head support is a very valuable attribute to me.

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:05 PM   #39

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
We have lots of chairs of different types. A different chair for each vehicle.
It seems that I have concentrated more on what transports best over what is most comfortable. Our latest chairs fold down to the size of a loaf of bread. great for transport or carrying to a campfire, you can even scrunch down enough to have it support the back of your head in comfort.
Having a chair with a high enough back for head support is a very valuable attribute to me.

With chairs that tilt you into a reclined position a head rest is essential to prevent neck and back strain. If you are sitting upright you don't need a head rest. I tried out an aluminum chair yesterday, it had a slightly sloped back without a headrest. I felt neck pain immediately.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:17 AM   #40

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Big fan of the Costco chairs. Biggest problem I usually have with folding chairs is that the seat is angled up where it cuts across the back of my legs. Gets uncomfortable really quick. The Costco chairs don't do this, so my other chairs are going in the donation pile!
thrifty bill is online now   Reply With Quote