Best camper trailer for a woman? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2021, 03:26 PM   #1

Name: Olga
Trailer: Thor
Ohio
Best camper trailer for a woman?

I know this may sound silly to some of you, but I need a bit of advice. What is the best Fiberglas travel camper that would be easy for a woman to tow? I’m new to this lifestyle and am a bit concerned with navigating mountain roads and different terrains by myself. Is there a specific model that rates best in that regard? I guess I am looking for a lighter camper.
Olga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 03:31 PM   #2

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I'd suggest a van or other self contained RV.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 03:37 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I've seen petite women handle everything up to a semi truck and trailer with no problem, and I've seen burly men that couldn't handle a simple landscape trailer. I've never seen a connection between size or sex when it comes to handling a trailer.

+10 for ease of use, a Class B is easy/peasy. Small Class C motorhome would be next. Towing a separate camper of any size means hooking up/unhooking, backing up more challenging. Small trailers can be harder to back up than larger ones.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 06:04 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Agree with Bill. Anybody can learn to tow. Not everybody likes it.

A trailer is a lower cost way to get into RVing than a small motorhome, especially if your trailer is small enough to tow with your everyday vehicle. Scamp is the largest manufacturer of smaller molded trailers. The smallest 13’ model is very nice for one person and available with or without an onboard bathroom.

To find out if you want to deal with towing, rent a van or pickup with a hitch and a small box trailer from U-Haul (or use your own vehicle it you already have a hitch). Find a friend or relative with some towing experience and arrange a few hours together. By the end of the day you’ll either be thinking “ I can master this,” or “I don’t think I’m going to like this.”

Then you’ll know.

Mom towed our family pop-up all over the continent, but when Dad passed and she decided to travel solo in retirement, she went with a small Class C and later a Class B.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:23 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
No one is born with the towing and hooking up gene. Everyone needs to learn. It's not gender specific. Don't doubt your abilities. Deciding your ARE going to do this goes a long way to success. In my case, I had two choices: go or stay home and staying home is NOT for me.

Good luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:11 PM   #6

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Dog is my copilot so I am not alone.

I agree with Donna.

One additional thing, my Casita and Casitas in general, and probably Scamps are pretty simple. No slide outs, no automatic steps, etc. Very few bells and whistles. That makes it fairly easy to work on if something needs working on.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:31 PM   #7
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
Woman with experience here and I say, everyone is different.

My first was a short van and I hated it. For me it's like driving a UHaul, which I also dislike and it's because I don't feel in control because I can't see well enough out of them.

Then my first travel trailer was a 13' Happier Camper travel trailer and I loved it! I felt in control and I could see everywhere. It's narrow enough to see down both sides and it has windows in the front and the back and I could see through it to the back of the camper. My second travel trailer is a 17' Happier Camper travel trailer and I can also see down both sides and through the windows to to back of the camper, and I am a Happier Camper!

From my experience I would NEVER EVER consider a Van, Class A, B, or C! (BTW, my friend has a Class B. She has had some side swipes and a lot of near misses.)

It's all about you, and what you feel most comfortable with.
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 12:17 AM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I doubt there is a "best" that everyone can agree on.

If towing ease is the main thing, a 13' Scamp, or Happier Camper is probably it. But if you want more insulation, a bit more room for practical living, a nicer bath or kitchen, and a bit more gear, a small Escape or Oliver Elite would be hard to beat.

Towing is intimidating in the beginning. But with some practice, you'll learn your trailer and relax. After a while it seems normal and the concerns fade. At that point, the advantages of having a nice little cabin on wheels, way outweighs the fear of learning something new. Trailers are so nice to live in compared to vans, and they can be left behind at the park so you can go exploring without having to break camp and haul the whole rig with you, just to go exploring or to pick up supplies.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:40 AM   #9

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I have had a Van conversion, Casita and now a larger Big Foot. Depending on how you are going to use the RV may help determine which to buy. If you will be doing shorter stays, say 3 to 5 days in one spot then move on, or not wanting to back track when you take a side road, or go off into the back country on narrow twisting dirt roads, then get a B+ van or a smaller class C like the sprinter conversion Class C. If you will be staying in one location for a couple of weeks, then a trailer pulled with a smaller truck with a camper shell.

I had a very difficult time getting gas when towing the Casita in CA. The gas stations simply have no room to pull a truck and even a short trailer into the gas islands. A Class B or smaller Class C would have been much more pleasant to maneuver.

Once a decision is made between a trailer vs motorhome, switching from one to the other will be costly and time consuming, so now is the time to play things out in your mind before committing.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:00 AM   #10

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
I had a very difficult time getting gas when towing the Casita in CA. The gas stations simply have no room to pull a truck and even a short trailer into the gas islands. A Class B or smaller Class C would have been much more pleasant to maneuver.
Even when there is enough room it can still be a challenge to gas up when towing a trailer. I have had multiple instances where I was pulling in forward to gas up and a ###$&#*$& pulls in right in front of me, blocking me in and preventing me from reaching the pump.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 10:29 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
We travel in CA regularly, and although I agree the corner gas stations can be tight, we never had a problem with our 13’ Scamp rig. The Pilot has a pretty tight turning radius. Definitely gets harder as your rig gets bigger.

The van can be cumbersome too, due to its large turn radius. It has a larger tank for fewer stops.

We try to gas up at Costco when possible. Their one-way traffic flow is far more RV friendly.

Rudeness... it's everywhere but not all that common. I’ve noticed people have an instinctive tendency not to want to be behind an RV, because they assume it will be slow on the highway or tie up the gas pump for a long time. They’re often right. On the other hand a small Scamp is one of those “cute and happy” RVs that people are naturally curious about. That helps!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 11:30 AM   #12

Name: Jean
Trailer: Escape 5
North Carolina
As a single woman..

I started with a fifth wheel Scamp. Small--19', light and tows easier than a tagalong. I also got some instruction from RV Driving School just to boost my confidence. They are a national network of experienced RVers with training to teach. It was a weekend class and I learned things the books and YouTube videos had not mentioned plus got lots of practice backing up.

There is a learning curve to everything. Ask lots of questions, take your time and have fun.
Jean
Weavery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 11:40 AM   #13

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I'd hate for that gas station comment dissuade you from a trailer. I've been towing small (13'-17') fiberglass trailers for over 12 years now, averaging over 10,000 miles/yr and I've never felt pulling into gas stations was a problem.

Walt
Old 02-01-2021, 11:45 AM   #14
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
Interesting question. Anything you choose is going to have a learning curve. There probably are as many opinions as there are choices. For me, not sure I would use it, concerned about budget, knowing nothing about the choices, I chose Scamp because I knew that I could get out of it quickly and probably not lose money. Also, I like Scamp because I like the hard shell, it seems like I would be more secure. But I don't think RV's are gender specific. Just pick something that looks appealing to you, do some research on issues that are important to you and go for it. There is a RV club specifically for women, I saw it once, maybe someone else knows it's name.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 11:50 AM   #15

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
I'd hate for that gas station comment dissuade you from a trailer. I've been towing small (13'-17') fiberglass trailers for over 12 years now, averaging over 10,000 miles/yr and I've never felt pulling into gas stations was a problem.

Walt
I wasn't trying to dissuade anyone. You would have had the same problem with a longer Class C. There are challenges unique to trailers and challenges unique to Class B and C RV's. You just have to exercise patience when you encounter them. I had to sit for 1/2 hour because I got boxed in at a parking lot once.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 11:51 AM   #16

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Yeah, something Sisters. I know a couple of friends who really enjoy the group.

Walt
Old 02-01-2021, 11:57 AM   #17

Name: Jean
Trailer: Escape 5
North Carolina
If you have not already...

Check out Sisters on the Fly and RVing Women.
Jean
Weavery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 12:59 PM   #18

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
I always suggest you attend a gathering or two . There will be some come summer. There is no substitute for an actual visit to several brands and sizes what you perceived as just right may not be as you visualized . As to the vans , small motorhomes etc there are many rentals available and a short trip in each plus the gathering visit and you would be well on your way to making an informed decision . Lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 01:23 PM   #19

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Welcome to the club of happy Fiberglass RV Campers!

Not all parts of the Sisters on the Fly website are open to non-members. To get an idea of the fun times and sense of humor these women have go to their "Merit Badges" section and check out any other sections that are open to the public. https://www.sistersonthefly.com/prod...-pins-jewelry/

The club got it's name from the founding members who enjoyed fly-fishing together. It's now a very large organization with lots of different ways to enjoy time together. I've never been a member but have been intrigued. This interview will give you a sense of the adventures in store. https://www.sistersonthefly.com/sist...ber-sister-29/

Thank you for your question as, I believe, many women have similar reservations about going solo. I've been "glamping" with my husband in our 13' Scamp purchased new since 2011. We've both been very happy with our choice to get the basic model with an ice box (no fussing with the mechanics involved in a refrigerator) and no bath. Hey, you only spend about 15 minutes for a shower and, maybe, 15 minutes on the John each day. Most campgrounds have adequate to phenomenal bathroom facilities. When we are in a pinch, usually at night time, we use our trusty and easy to dump Porta-Pottie.

You've received some great advice here. Keep in mind that you may be able to use your current vehicle for towing even if it is a sedan. (Do check the road clearance. I learned the hard way.) You might want to look up tow vehicles in the "Search" section on the top of this page. Go to the bottom of the drop-down menu for the best results under "Google".

Feel free to "PM" (private message me) if you like. You can get some dynamite decorating, as well as camping, advice from me
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 01:24 PM   #20

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Pulling any trailer takes thinking ahead. Any time I pull into a business, before I pull in I work out my exit. If I don’t see an exit route, I don’t pull in. Fast food and gas stations are two examples. I’ve bypassed many gas stations for this reason. Most truck stops have auto pumps with more than adequate spacing. But when in doubt, don’t pull in.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote