Best FG Trailer for Family of 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2021, 04:01 AM   #1

Name: Steven
Trailer: In the market
California
Best FG Trailer for Family of 5

Hello, I just registered to this forum. We are a family of 5, couple with kids of 11, 9 & 7. Currently have a camper van (Dodge Ram Van) and somehow we managed to sleep the whole family in it (3 kids on the folded down bench/bed, wife and I sleep on the floor. However, each time we had to move many things around to make room to sleep and soon we all got old and tired about messing with all the things (at least 2-3 hours of unpacking and packing up each time went camping, there's no quality time at all with such a waste of time). So right now we are in the market of trading in the camper van into a trailer. What trailer would you recommend for a family of 5? I see Casta and Escape have models for up to 6. But not sure about which is the 'best'.

Also, I've been eying on the iconic Airstream for so long, but after reading/researching all the information out there, I'm persuaded that fiberglass is more superior to aluminum.
Big Belly Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 06:31 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
How about adding a small trailer behind the van?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roadtrek and <a title=Scamp.jpg Views: 8 Size: 160.8 KB ID: 141291" style="margin: 2px" />

Scamp 16' layout 7 and Casita Spirit standard (front bunk version) are set up for 5 people. Neither has a bath. Beds for 5 AND a wet bath, look to the Scamp 19 standard, but it requires a truck due to the fifth wheel design.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 06:51 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
A hybrid popup trailer would fit well behind your van
Adults could sleep in one , kids in the other
We have a 21 ft Escape and it’s barely big enough at times for my wife , our dog and me .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:46 AM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Agree, as the number of occupants goes up, molded FG can make less sense. One thing people do is put some of the kids in tents. Back in the day, I looked forward to having my own tent as we had five of us crammed into a 14 foot Shasta. My tent was quite roomy in comparison!

With the two oldest in tents, now choices are almost unlimited.

OR just go with a traditional built trailer. Hybrids in particular hold a lot of occupants, at the "cost" of being a cross between a pop-up and a traditional trailer. Build quality? No so much, but should be a lot less $$ initially than a molded FG trailer.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:35 AM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Jon's picture looked very familiar.

This is our rig for a family of 7. Four kids slept in the trailer. My wife and I slept in the van, with our youngest, (seen in the window of the trailer).
Attached Thumbnails
Long Range Probe.JPG  
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:25 AM   #6

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
A good well laid out van is easily sold but hard to find. 5 people camping is always an "adventure". It depends on whether you need toilet/shower facilities or can do it outside in the campground? Tents & tent trailers may be an affordable option. Are you planning on bringing toys (canoes, bikes, surfers, etc. FG trailers and airstreams are very expensive right now. How many weeks a year and what kind of weather are planning on. Kids grow up quickly and their wants/needs change as well.
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 11:25 AM   #7

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
You goin CAMPING OR GLAMPING!

Camping meaning you are outside virtually all the time cooking, talking, walking and having fun. GLAMPING means it's all about the trailer and comfort sitting inside at a RV campground plugged in doing the same damn thing you can do at home.

If Camping is your style then all you really might like is an indoor place to sleep and a small fiberglass trailer does that perfectly when pulled behind your current camper van. The small trailer will also help solve the loading and unloading issues you speak about.

If Glamping is your style then git ready to sell the van, buy a bigger truck and spend a LOT OF MONEY and WAIT A LONGTIME on a nice large fiberglass trailer. Then start gitting your RV campground reservations 6 months before you git your trailer so you will have some place to go and Glamp when your new trailer arrives.

Just remember there is NO PERFECT RV TRAILER for anyone!

YOU need to decide UPFRONT what's most important to YOU as YOU move forward with any changes in YOUR outdoor lifestyle before YOU make any type of trailer decision. Once you have figured out what your outdoor lifestyle will be in the future and if it involves a trailer I suggest you rent a trailer first and see how that works out for you before you buy or sell anything.

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote