Best Hitch buys? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2011, 06:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Best Hitch buys?

I'm getting ready to order a Class 2 hitch for my minivan and was wondering if etrailer is the best place or are the cheaper places I havent found yet?

Thanks!

Melissa
Old 05-18-2011, 06:32 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Have you joined the T@B Yahoo group? There is a wealth of info there and a real nice group. I belong since I had a T@da which I sold. By the way, your brakes on the T@b maybe surge brakes, non-electric and there are several threads on maintenance thereof. You may not need a 7 way but only a 4 way, ask there on that forum. I also think you have an emergency brake on the T@b which is kind of cool.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Yep, I'm a member! And you're right, the T@B has surge brakes so no controller to hassle with and it also has the hand brake you mentioned. According to Ed, it has a 7 pin connector. Probably so you can have the battery charge line wired in. I'm having a hard time finding info on the group as the search function is difficult to narrow down. I thought I saw your name! Figured there couldnt possibly be another person with your exact user name as here, lol.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:27 PM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Yep, I'm a member! And you're right, the T@B has surge brakes so no controller to hassle with and it also has the hand brake you mentioned. According to Ed, it has a 7 pin connector. Probably so you can have the battery charge line wired in. I'm having a hard time finding info on the group as the search function is difficult to narrow down. I thought I saw your name! Figured there couldnt possibly be another person with your exact user name as here, lol.
Yes, contact Jerry Jones, one of the moderators, he knows a lot about the T@b and the website. There are a lot of owners on the East Coast and several meets thru out the year, real nice people.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:58 PM   #5

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
We just bought a hitch class 3 hitch and got it from ecustom hitch.I ordered it on a Tuesday and it arrived from FL.on Thursday Fedx. I did a lot of research and the price was the lowest I could find including shipping and no tax. You will end up paying the tax since your in state. I went with a Curt brand hitch and it took about 1/2 an hour to install. Trailer Hitches, Towing Equipment & Accessories | eCustomHitch.com

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Try your local UHaul dealer as some of them sell and install hitches.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:57 PM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
There have been some issues with the Curt hitches breaking or cracking, the best price is not always the best way to go.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:31 PM   #8

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I've used U-haul for the last couple of cars. They always have very competitive prices.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:21 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Walmart has some hitches. My 2000 Mercury wears one bought from there.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #10

Name: Dan
Trailer: popup currently, I feel dirty ;-)
Colorado
I bought mine from jcwhitney.com, at the time they had what appeared to be the best deal (though I got a Curt, Greg H's post now has me nervous!). But after, someone pointed me to Amazon, and surprisingly, they had an even better price.
LurkerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:26 AM   #11

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Dan, I believe I learned of the cracking and or breaking Curt hitches here on our own FGRV site. I have an assortment of Reese, Draw Tite, and a Valley that got bent in a minor bumper bash.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote