Best internet solution for boondocking? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-30-2021, 02:41 PM   #1

Name: Benjamin
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
NJ
Best internet solution for boondocking?

Hey all,

Does anyone know the best way to get internet to a computer while boondocking?
James in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 03:47 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Starlink?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 03:55 PM   #3

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Check out Visible. You can usually find a group to join on cheaprvliving to get a discount.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 04:23 PM   #4

NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
Check out Visible. You can usually find a group to join on cheaprvliving to get a discount.
Thanks!
Old 04-30-2021, 05:32 PM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
If you have adequate cell phone signal and your phone supports it you can use tethering. I connect a usb cable between the computer and the phone. You may also be able to set your phone up as a mobile wifi hotspot then connect to it from your computer. You will have to figure out how to enable it on your phone and computer.
Old 04-30-2021, 05:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I too just tether to my phone. Only one time did I have to buy some additional data when travelling with 2 trailers and 4 of us all using our plan.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:09 PM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Visible, which I use, is Verizon at a discount, nice discount. So if Verizon service in your area is good, then Verizon is a fine choice. Comes with unlimited data. You would be using your phone as a hot spot. Requires good phone reception.

Visible has a group rate: one person is $40, two people are $35 each, three people are $30 each, four people are $25 each. No additional rate drops. Do not need to be related or family members.

Set up is over the internet, so a Verizon store is no help.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 09:20 AM   #8

NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Visible, which I use, is Verizon at a discount, nice discount. So if Verizon service in your area is good, then Verizon is a fine choice. Comes with unlimited data. You would be using your phone as a hot spot. Requires good phone reception.

Visible has a group rate: one person is $40, two people are $35 each, three people are $30 each, four people are $25 each. No additional rate drops. Do not need to be related or family members.

Set up is over the internet, so a Verizon store is no help.
Looks like Visible is what I'll get, thanks very much! Do you know if their hotspot comes with a USB connection for wired internet?
Old 05-01-2021, 09:38 AM   #9

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Visible is typically do it yourself bring your own hardware. Use your phone as a hot spot. It’s not “their” hotspot, it’s yours.

I do caution anyone, while its A LOT cheaper than Verizon, there is no hand holding, Verizon store help, or whatever. That is one reason you get the discount. You have to be comfortable doing it yourself as far as set up. Its not hard, and google gets you there.

I had similar service from Page Plus prior to Visible. Same mediocre customer service, same Verizon network, a little more expensive and no unlimited data. Only reason I switched was cost.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 10:02 AM   #10

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Visible is typically do it yourself bring your own hardware. Use your phone as a hot spot. It’s not “their” hotspot, it’s yours.

I do caution anyone, while its A LOT cheaper than Verizon, there is no hand holding, Verizon store help, or whatever. That is one reason you get the discount. You have to be comfortable doing it yourself as far as set up. Its not hard, and google gets you there.

I had similar service from Page Plus prior to Visible. Same mediocre customer service, same Verizon network, a little more expensive and no unlimited data. Only reason I switched was cost.
Great 👍thanks again for your solution.
Old 05-01-2021, 10:23 AM   #11

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Following.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 11:24 AM   #12

Name: Donald
Trailer: Happier Camper HC1 (Subaru Outback Stranded Me)now towing with RAM 1500 Ecodiesel Major overkill.
California
Another alternative

I considered Visible, which looks like a good plan, but I guess I did not have enough friends to join in. Another option is US Mobile, which can be set up to use the Verizon cell towers. We have two lines of unlimited everything for $30 each including taxes and fees. Hotspot for one of the phones, so we can use the non cellular iPad, is another $10 per month. The unlimited plans also include data out of the country, if you have an Esim compatible phone. We have had this plan for a few weeks now and so far so good.
Old 05-08-2021, 02:21 PM   #13

Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
Hey James, I just switched to Visible and so far am happy with the service and the online setup was pretty easy. I made the switch because Verizon is one of the few carriers that covers the area around my cabin in northern PA. I’m going to use my phone as a hotspot and then buy a Hiboost cell phone signal booster to strengthen the signal. This should allow me to do work at my cabin and I know that this company (as well as a few others) provide these boosters for rvs as well.
Bill L in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 03:41 PM   #14

Name: Tom
Trailer: Amerigo
Wisconsin
I don't think it is portable.
bigangelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 03:51 PM   #15

Trailer: Casita 13 ft
Check out Google Fi. It is inexpensive and there is no extra charge for using the hotspot. Coverage is good but sometimes is blocked if you are really in the boonies.
Yvimij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 04:47 PM   #16

Trailer: Amerigo
Wisconsin
Internet on road

I've checked into this and best solution I found is the cell company Visible.com they are part of use the Verizon network. You can get 4 phone lines unlimited for $100. For like a husband and wife team you each could have cell# and then a separate line to hotspot internet with.
They have a way to create a group with 4 or more #'s If you don't have anyone else that can use the 4th line.
That 3rd line for your internet needs to be able to make a phone call. So you use that phone to hotspot or tether it to a mobile router. You could use your phone but when you hotspot or tethering you can't make calls.
bigangelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:26 AM   #17

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_ivy View Post
Check out Google Fi. It is inexpensive and there is no extra charge for using the hotspot. Coverage is good but sometimes is blocked if you are really in the boonies.
Cellular plans may be a good way to go, but IMO, there is no perfect answer to the OPs question. Depending upon how remotely one boondocks, there may be no cell service. I have been in populated places in the US where there was no cell service, or service that was spotty at best. I am a Verizon subscriber and having had AT&T, Sprint, and a couple of others at one time or another, I have found Verizon to be the most “far reaching” in most parts of the US. But I have also seen only one bar in the middle of a city on a couple of occasions, resulting in extremely slow download speeds. Starlink will have its drawbacks also, because anything between the satellite and the antenna (vegetation, mountains). If you have ever had a subscription or a trial of Sirius/XM satellite radio you will understand. If you are old enough to remember the Ivory Soap commercial in which Ivory Soap was purported to be 99 and 44/100ths percent pure, I would compare hard wired internet connections to that percentage, wireless connections in any location a good bit less. And WiFi in campgrounds which advertise it typically is poor. My conclusion regarding internet when RVing: Often you may be lucky; but sometimes you are not.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:37 AM   #18

Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
AT&T

I have an AT&T unlimited tablet business plan. 22 Gigs unthrottled per month. You only get slowed down if you are in a high traffic area like a ball game or maybe in a city and it has not happened to me. It costs $23.00 per month.

I am using a Surface Pro X to run a 4K Samsung TV that I use as a monitor. They won't let you tether the tablet but there maybe a way around that, that I haven't tried yet.

I have had better performance on the road than at my daughter's house but when I am there I can connect to her Wi-Fi. I have been thinking about a cell booster but I have not needed it yet.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking