Best method for accepting payment - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-07-2020, 12:28 PM   #41

Name: charles
Trailer: 21 Bigfoot
Oregon
do whats best for you. they have to come pick up the trailer anyway. so insist on cash and use your bank to help make sure the bills are ok. 1000 dollar bills are not in short supply. It was a good price and if they were serious the money shouldn't be a problem. If the deal falls through email me at blkbry2@gmail.com and I'll drive down fro wilsonville and hand you the cash! I have a 21 but have been thinking of going a little smaller,but not back to a casita
blkbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 12:41 PM   #42

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
I haven’t read all the answers here but judging from the few I did read the obvious and
simplest answer is good old cash. With any other form of payment you can be burned.
If the buyer wants the trailer he will produce the cash...just don’t do the deal in a dark
alley in the ghetto !

My last big deal was completed in his bank and the teller counted and delivered the cash
to me at the teller’s window....your bank or his and cash...simple and fool proof.

Also note that there are no $1,000 Bills a denomination
that was suggested by “blkbry” in the previous post above.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 01:21 PM   #43

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev in Oregon View Post
I have SOLD my Bigfoot. It is enroute to WA state, and the new owner is just the sort of person I was hoping would buy it. He told me he was in love with it before he even saw it in person.

So, this marks an era of my life coming to a close. I'm an emotional mess, watching the Bigfoot being towed away by someone new, but I know this young man will give "Marty" all the TLC that she deserves.
Congratulations!

I understand your mixed emotions. Last summer, we picked up a “new-to-us” BF 21 and took it camping & dog training. I sold my BF 19 while out still of town a couple of weeks later.

So, I was not present when the new owners towed the trailer away. And that was good, as I dearly loved that trailer. Me & a couple of generations of dogs had some great trips. I hope the new owners enjoy it as much as me.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:38 PM   #44

Name: Donald
Trailer: Bigfoot 5th wheel
Colorado
PayPal fees are very high and very complicated. A better way might be Skrill (https://www.skrill.com/en-us/siteinformation/fees/)
donniebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:11 PM   #45
RLP

Name: Rick
Trailer: 72 Boler
British Columbia
Up here in Canada, E-transfers are used allot. Money is transferred from one account to another in the snap of a finger. Just be aware the Sender can cancel the transfer before the Receiver accepts it. Once accepted though, it's a done deal.

So if the seller agrees to buy, they can do the transfer while standing in your yard. You then accept it and even check your bank account online to see the transfer was made. Then do the paperwork for the title.
RLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:41 PM   #46

Name: Rob
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Only ideal if you are sure it is legit. And therein is the problem, fake cashiers checks have become quite common...
Unfortunately, cashier’s checks are less safe than they used to be. If you don’t know and trust your buyer, you simply cannot assume that a cashier’s check is just as good as cash.

Source: https://www.thebalance.com/cashier-s-check-fraud-315795
Yes, I've always been leery of cashier's cheques because no one really knows what they're supposed to look like. I like to go to the bank, then insurance agent so the cash changes hands when the title does.
robf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:16 PM   #47

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Hadn’t heard of it, and I was involved in another lengthy thread on the subject on another forum when I was preparing to sell my Class B.

I visited the site, but couldn’t get any detailed information about cost, terms, and fine print without parting with a lot of personal information. Didn’t exactly inspire confidence. Have you used it?
I have not used it as I bought my camper on eBay, but have heard good things.

https://www.escrow.com/fee-calculator
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:23 PM   #48

Name: Susan
Trailer: Scamp
New Mexico
Accepting payment

I was a bank teller for 10+ years. Cashiers checks are quite often forged-not foolproof at all. Due to privacy laws, it is often hard to call a bank and verify funds are there (we used to do this but not anymore).

The marker pens are good, but if the bill is really worn or dirty you may get a false counterfeit.

A good quick way to check American currency-feel the collar on the president's coat. It should feel rough-with little grooves. Most counterfeiters today used sophisticated color copy machines and good paper, but you cant get those grooves unless it was printed with actual plates-an intaglioprocess.
Poodlesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:57 PM   #49

Name: Kirsi
Trailer: Shopping
Florida
Having bought and sold recently, I would never use PayPal or Venmo or other online places. If you read the fine print, they can take the money back.

I have received counterfeit cashiers checks.

What I did..... When I sold...... we went to his local bank, he paid the bank to issue me a cashiers check. He held the check and we went up DMV and transferred the title.

When I bought.... I had a cashiers check sent ftom my bank. It was verified by their bank. I checked the title was valid before giving the check. We went to DMV and transferred title.
KirsiU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:05 AM   #50

Name: Marty
Colorado
I'll be traveling across the US and hope to find a trailer along the way. I don't want to carry cash. What is the preferred way to pay for one?
Marty A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:17 AM   #51

Name: Kirsi
Florida
Have the funds available in a bank that has many branches. You can withdrawal there. They can make the cashiers check in front of the seller, so the seller knows it is good. Hold the check until you get the title verified by DMV. Also check it is not stolen by title verification on the internet.
KirsiU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:19 AM   #52

Name: Avey
Trailer: 21' BigFoot, 17 wide body Burro
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev in Oregon View Post
I may have my 1988 Bigfoot sold. I'm hoping I can get some advice on the best way to accept payment from the buyer. I know wire transfers and such are not the way to go. Cash seems to be the preferred method, but how do I know the bills aren't counterfeit? Do I hold onto the title until I can bring the money to the bank and have the bills checked? Or is there some other way to do this that's not so complicated? Thanks!
This is what I do!
I have the buyer meet me at the BANK, it's really nice when the two parties use the same bank. But if not, I still have them meet me at my bank. I bring the trailer or car or what ever and sit down with a bank employee and have the buyer count and give the money to the banks employee and have them count it. Then I hand over the pink slip and have the bank deposit the money it into my account.
This works great
ZAC N CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 07:57 AM   #53

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
I use online banking and there are no physical banks or branches. Possibly one in Delaware but none throughout the country.

There is also a limit as to how much can be deposited using their app, so large sums have to be mailed.

So I think (as seller) I am limited to wire transfer.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 03:59 AM   #54

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I had a conversation with my banker a year ago when we were thinking about selling a Class B motorhome. The price was well above what most people would be comfortable carrying in cash. The answer was unequivocal: no cashier’s checks. If the buyer is not local and uses a different bank, cash or electronic transfer is the only secure way to complete the transaction. The banker said there is no way they can know if a cashier’s check is legitimate until it goes through the clearing process, which takes several days.

Obviously, if a buyer is local, or you use the same bank, or their bank has a local branch, everything is easier.

I considered- and rejected- PayPal. To me, 2.9% to hold a sum of money for just a few days seems usurious considering it’s all done electronically. Maybe I’m being unreasonable and I should just factor it into the price, but it feels like PayPal is in a monopolistic position in that market.
30 years ago I posted my Van in the local newspaper for sale. A person from out of state emailed me & wanted to send me a cashier’s check $1000 above my asking price. I searched his internet location and it was not in the location he said it was. I turned it down & found out then it was a common scam. Scary today to do this. I like the bank idea.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 04:04 AM   #55

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Has anyone been scammed when selling anything?
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 12:25 PM   #56

Name: Mike
Trailer: In the Market
Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilliam1955 View Post
Has anyone been scammed when selling anything?

I just saw on the news about a couple who were buying cars with fake cashiers checks.

Best to use an escrow service if it is a $$$ rig.

Bitcoin and smart contracts look like the future. US dollar has lost 10% of its value this year and 98% in the last 100 years. Terrible investment. Bitcoin payments are verified by a powerful computer network and are not reversible and 100% impossible to fake. Also up like 6,000% in last 10 years. I wish I would have put 10% of my retirement into that a few years ago!!!
RollinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 12:42 PM   #57

Name: Mike
Trailer: In the Market
Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
BILLIONS OF DOLLARS are wire transferred around the world on a daily basis in complete security with an electronic trail of the transaction and easily confirmed transfer of funds.

Why in world would you make a foolish statement such as above????

A lot of people who live in an RV on social security didn't make the best financial decisions in life. That's why they are here to begin with.
RollinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 04:31 AM   #58

Name: Kasen
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Louisiana
The need for online payments has grown over the past year. Consumers want and demand convenience, and businesses must be ready for it. Fortunately, there are plenty of simple options that will allow you to accept payments online, no matter the size of your business. To do this, you must decide whether to have your dedicated merchant account or use an intermediary holding account. My experience has convinced me that it is better to have your bank account. The https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f51/best-method-for-accepting-payment-91524-2.html has been servicing my company for several years, and there have never been any problems with payments that the bank did not resolve.
KasenSpencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 08:19 PM   #59

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
Secure safe payment

I've used credit card account for making a payments in the past. Now on receiving a payment could be tricky but as said by more than one. Local financial institutions. Safe, security and money can be verified. The transaction will be recorded on video too.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:55 AM   #60

Name: David
Trailer: Casita Liberty Deluxe
LA
When we purchased our Casita last year in Houston there just happened to have a branch of our bank we use in Louisiana, the sellers met us at the bank with the trailer and I transferred payment directly to them and the bank notarized all of the documents for free.

When we sold our Intech trailer to someone from Houston, her USAA bank doesn't have a physical branch so she met me at our bank in Louisiana and the bank assisted her do a wire transfer to us, very smooth and safe.

The bank did acknowledge they do see fake cashiers checks occasionally and can't verify them immediately anymore.
daveandalice is offline   Reply With Quote