Best place to camp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-01-2003, 05:20 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Best place to camp

Hi all. We are planing a trip from east texas to colorado the first week of august. We thought we would stop about half way the first nite, between colorado springs and east tx. Then we plan on going to colorado springs the next day for 2 or 3 days. We have never camped in the colorado springs area and was looking for suggestions from any one who has been there. It would not have to be in colorado springs as we will be going to canon city also. So thanks for any ideas. :lol :lol

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 05:33 AM   #2

Hey Out There

Someone must know of some good spots for Charlie to camp at.

Old 07-04-2003, 06:20 AM   #3

Charlie -

What areas would you consider half way? East Texas is fairly large, so I'm not real sure which area you'll be going through.

You going through Oklahoma, Texas?

Old 07-04-2003, 06:45 AM   #4

My folks always liked to camp at the city park in Dumas, TX. I don't know how far that is from where you are, Charlie, and it's been about 5 years since they were able to do it. But, there's electrical hookup (which in the TX panhandle in July is an absolute).

It's not in my old Trailer Life cg directory. I'll see if I can google some info on it.

Of course, there is also Palo Duro Canyon SP.

Old 07-04-2003, 07:25 AM   #5

The Free Campgrounds of Texas directory reminds me the park in Dumas is free. It is also small (arrive as early as you can to get one of the 12 sites with electric hook-up; there are more sites but only 12 with electric), and used by many Texans on their way to/from Colorado. It is free, but there is a donations box near the dump station.

:sunny

Old 07-04-2003, 02:12 PM   #6

Colorado Springs area...

I spent two nights in the Pike NF near Col Spgs a couple of weeks ago. The South Meadow Campground is about 5.5 mils north of Woodland Park on State Rte 67. The entrance is on the west side of the road. There are no hookups, but it's nice and quiet. Water faucets are close to each camp area, as are toilets. About 300 yards west of the entrance, down a little slope that overlooks a lovely meadow, is an active beaver colony. They come out particularly at dusk. It's at 7950' so the nights are delightfully cool.