Best Route - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-16-2018, 11:34 AM   #1

Name: Jude
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Best Route

Hi Folks:
We are new Casita owners, and we will be driving home to CT from Moab in May. Can someone please suggest the most scenic route for new-to-towing travelers?
Thanks and we really appreciate all of the helpful advice we have gotten from here. Looking forward to using it soon as we pick up our TT beginning of May in Rice.
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:56 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Some broad brush suggestions:

Obviously there are mountains in Colorado to see. Many choices.

Then you could go north into Wyoming, see Devils Tower, the Black Hills and Badlands NP in South Dakota, then over to the lakes country in Minnesota, Duluth and then along either shore of Lake Superior, cross over into Canada, then back in the US in NY or someplace.

A more southern route would be toward the Ozarks in Missouri, then over to the Appalachians, following them north to home.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
There is enough scenery in Utah to last the average camper a lifetime. I've gone back to Utah several times, and am hoping for many more return trips. There is much to be seen on the way back east too. Don't worry if you overlook an area. You can always go back.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:44 PM   #4

Connecticut
Thanks!
Old 04-16-2018, 12:45 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carlson View Post
Some broad brush suggestions:

Obviously there are mountains in Colorado to see. Many choices.

Then you could go north into Wyoming, see Devils Tower, the Black Hills and Badlands NP in South Dakota, then over to the lakes country in Minnesota, Duluth and then along either shore of Lake Superior, cross over into Canada, then back in the US in NY or someplace.

A more southern route would be toward the Ozarks in Missouri, then over to the Appalachians, following them north to home.
I'll vote for the northern route. Keeps you out of tornado alley during tornado season, and many of the best places on the southern route are fairly accessible on a shorter trip out of CT.

I'd want to check weather- average temperatures and long term forecasts- along the northern route. Late spring storms are certainly possible, but they usually don't last too long.

Your only problem will be time- not nearly enough of it! There is so much to see on either route, you'll want to do it again... and again!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:56 PM   #6

Minnesota
Registry
I should have mentioned I have been to Moab many times, and will be there again May 12-19 this year. If you have any questions about the area let me know, I might be able to help.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:04 PM   #7

Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I'll vote for the northern route. Keeps you out of tornado alley during tornado season, and many of the best places on the southern route are fairly accessible on a shorter trip out of CT.

I'd want to check weather- average temperatures and long term forecasts- along the northern route. Late spring storms are certainly possible, but they usually don't last too long.
Lol, we just got a foot of snow over the weekend in Minneapolis... May is much more unlikely though.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:06 AM   #8

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

Your only problem will be time- not nearly enough of it! There is so much to see on either route, you'll want to do it again... and again!

Thanks, Jon.
We are both retired science teachers and weather nerds. Tornado alley in the spring- well we taught it in our classrooms , but donít want to experience it, so that is a concern.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:46 AM   #9

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
If you want an interstate I-70 goes through a gorgeous area in Colorado along the Colorado river. Goes right through Denver. Compared to I-80 and I-40 itís in better condition and seems to have less truck traffic.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:48 AM   #10

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
The only way to avoid what is loosely termed "Tornado Alley" is the gulf coast route or far north near the Canadian border. It's too broad a swath. My suggestion would be not to worry about it. Go where you like, and where the parks and scenery appeal to you. Just monitor the weather forecasts and take appropriate precautions. Click image for larger version

Name:	stalley_0.gif
Views:	14
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	117858Besides, there have been many deadly tornadoes in the past few years that were nowhere near the "alley".
Old 04-17-2018, 07:29 AM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Tornado alley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude View Post
Thanks, Jon.
We are both retired science teachers and weather nerds. Tornado alley in the spring- well we taught it in our classrooms , but donít want to experience it, so that is a concern.
We do not technically live on tornado alley street, we can see it from our back deck though. In May in the Midwest any day that starts out very warm, sees clouds build in the mid day and then the sky turns a strange green color is not a good place to be. You must keep your eyes on the weather. Take a minute to look at the TV weather channel when you stop at truck stops for fuel, do not try to out run a line of severe weather and donít discount having to
Backtrack a little ways to get to a faster road that will get you around the weather. Donít camp under trees, especially cottonwoods, silver maples, or other weak wooded species. Texas to South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas Iowa and Missouri. Big weather Bwana.
Thatís all I got
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:35 AM   #12

Minnesota
Registry
I wouldn't sweat tornadoes too much, your odds of actually getting hit by one are very very low. Just pay attention to National Weather Service tornado and severe thunderstorm watches and warnings, especially warnings. High winds and hail would concern me more than tornadoes.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:52 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carlson View Post
I wouldn't sweat tornadoes too much, your odds of actually getting hit by one are very very low. Just pay attention to National Weather Service tornado and severe thunderstorm watches and warnings, especially warnings. High winds and hail would concern me more than tornadoes.
Exactly. It's not the relatively rare tornadoes you want to avoid, but the intense spring thunderstorms that produce them.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:21 AM   #14

Name: Al
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Hi Jude, congratulations on your soon to be new Casita and welcome to the 'egg' family.

We'll be in northern AZ / southern UT from mid May to mid June with plans for Moab around 6/09. If you see a Scamp 19 with NC tags, wave or stop by and chat.

When travelling across TX, if we're on I-40, Palo Duro Canyon State Park outside Amarillo is a great place to spend a few days. We also like visiting Carlsbad Caverns and camp at Brantley Lake State Park (hookups and clean showers) or the Dog Canyon campground in Guadalupe National Park (more remote) when in that area.

Or, after picking up the Casita, you could head south through Austin to San Antonio where you'd take 90W. To us, that's a really nice drive along the border and you could visit Big Bend, our favorite National Park, before turning up towards El Paso. Its hard to make a bad choice for things to see and do in the southwest.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:23 AM   #15

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
Oh darn! Was going to suggest that when going south on 15 south of Salt Lake, to turn off on Nephi on 28 and go south down to Salina and Interstate 70. FANTASTIC views! And GREEN!

Then I saw you were coming from Moab.

Oh well. Nice route if you're in that area though, and not highly traveled.

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:57 AM   #16

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
We do not technically live on tornado alley street, we can see it from our back deck though. In May in the Midwest any day that starts out very warm, sees clouds build in the mid day and then the sky turns a strange green color is not a good place to be. You must keep your eyes on the weather. Take a minute to look at the TV weather channel when you stop at truck stops for fuel, do not try to out run a line of severe weather and donít discount having to

Backtrack a little ways to get to a faster road that will get you around the weather. Donít camp under trees, especially cottonwoods, silver maples, or other weak wooded species. Texas to South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas Iowa and Missouri. Big weather Bwana.

Thatís all I got

Iowa Dave

Wow. Thatís a lot, BW Bwana.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:58 AM   #17

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by monB View Post
Oh darn! Was going to suggest that when going south on 15 south of Salt Lake, to turn off on Nephi on 28 and go south down to Salina and Interstate 70. FANTASTIC views! And GREEN!

Then I saw you were coming from Moab.

Oh well. Nice route if you're in that area though, and not highly traveled.

Mon

Thank you!
Old 04-20-2018, 10:00 AM   #18

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al & Cindy K View Post
Hi Jude, congratulations on your soon to be new Casita and welcome to the 'egg' family.

We'll be in northern AZ / southern UT from mid May to mid June with plans for Moab around 6/09. If you see a Scamp 19 with NC tags, wave or stop by and chat.

When travelling across TX, if we're on I-40, Palo Duro Canyon State Park outside Amarillo is a great place to spend a few days. We also like visiting Carlsbad Caverns and camp at Brantley Lake State Park (hookups and clean showers) or the Dog Canyon campground in Guadalupe National Park (more remote) when in that area.

Or, after picking up the Casita, you could head south through Austin to San Antonio where you'd take 90W. To us, that's a really nice drive along the border and you could visit Big Bend, our favorite National Park, before turning up towards El Paso. Its hard to make a bad choice for things to see and do in the southwest.

Thanks, Al and Cindy. We will be pulling our 17í Casita with a white Highlander, CT plates. Safe travels!
Old 04-20-2018, 10:02 AM   #19

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
If you want an interstate I-70 goes through a gorgeous area in Colorado along the Colorado river. Goes right through Denver. Compared to I-80 and I-40 itís in better condition and seems to have less truck traffic.

Check! We will do that. Thanks!
Old 04-20-2018, 10:15 AM   #20

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
When planning a trip, I look at the rally map/calendar to attend as many as I can, and also to stop to see people we have met at earlier rallies.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote