Best SAFE Skeeter Remedy? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Best SAFE Skeeter Remedy?

I noticed several members here say they tend to spend most of their time outside their Eggs only going in to sleep or for bad weather. It's the reason the little eggs work so well is b/c folks are outside enjoying the scenery rather than looking at it through a window. When we've had our Popups once the skeeters came out we went inside to eat supper, play games, watch movies etc to stay away from the mosquitoes. After it had been dark for a couple of hours only then did we venture back out to enjoy the night, play cards, sit around the campfire etc outside. Even then we still go bit just not as bad as at sundown. What, if any, remedies has anybody used that acutally work and are safe. We've wondered about tiki torches, citrinella candles etc but never bothered as we didnt know their effectiveness. I've seen the commercials by OFF for little clip on thingies that are suppose to work w/o spraying yourselves with toxins. We hated always having to shower or at least sponge off the skeeter spray every night and I worry about it on my kids.

Thanks!

Melissa
Old 04-18-2011, 04:49 PM   #2

Name: Michael
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
BC
Melissab, we've used both citronella candles and tiki torches with citronella fuel and they work fine to about a 10-15 foot radius.
My curiosity has been tweeked with the insect zappers that I see being marketed. Like you we don't like to use anything on our skin. For some reason I'm rarely bothered as it is but my wife and kids get eaten alive outside the protection of the citronella zone!
mike_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:39 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul CT
Avon's Skin So Soft is reported by many folks to be effective in keeping skeeters away.
KarenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:49 PM   #4

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
in my experience, listerine works well when spritzed on. it seems to also be effective when i spray/spritz it on the door screen...keeps the nasties little critters away.
but, toxic though it is, i still find that deep woods OFF works the best. yes, it doesn't smell terrific...but when those black flies are swarming in may and june here, it is my salvation!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I've been interested for number of years about what works and what doesn't work when it come to mosquitoes. I've followed several studies and tests. The results seem to always be the same. DEET....
Avon Skin So Soft now has formulations that include DEET which, of course, works. Stand Skin So Soft doesn't work.
Another thing that seemed to work for us along with DEET was an increase in vitamin B.

FYI DEET has been deemed safe no for almost 40 years, that is unless you're made of plastic.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Turn on a fan! The Pacific NorthWET has it's share of mosquitoes. Some that are large enough to carry off small pets especially at the beach. At the Oregon Gathering, we actually hope there is a breeze because mosquitoes won't fly if there's wind. It doesn't take hurricane force winds either, just enough of a breeze they'll stay away. You'll figure out what "speed" works for you.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Move to my part of Texas, It's almost always too hot for them unless it rains, and that was last July or August.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:12 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
off mosquitto coil burning on the ground, smoke coming up around the legs. I had zero luck with citronella in my skeeter infested area. But i tent camp so no electric for a fan.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:33 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler 1984
Byron is right. Deet has been found to be the only really good provider of mosquito protection. Years ago we would douse ourselves with 100% Deet and reek with it. Nowdays most gubmnt agencies regulate the product to about 25%. Skin So soft, by itself only makes you slippery, but it does make Deet smell a bit better. Lately I have been using a cream lotion that I found that is called 'Great Outdoors', made in Winnipeg, by JR Watkins. It has 28% Deet and almost no oder.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:44 PM   #10

Wow Greg, I was just sitting here watching the news about more violence in Mexico and U.S. citizens being targeted on the U.S. side and then looked up where Terlingua was......whew, that's a bit too close to the border for me, LOL. My inlaws are in DFW area and they got skeeters for sure! Hmmmmmm, I'll have to ask my folks if they have skeeters in Phoenix although they spend summers in WY so they might not know. I'd guess if it's too hot in W. Texas it's too hot in Phoenix for them too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Move to my part of Texas, It's almost always too hot for them unless it rains, and that was last July or August.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:55 PM   #11

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Today I thought it would be impossible for any insect to hatch out here until my husband went trout fishing and his lure wasn't color cordinated.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:37 AM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I like the Skin So soft as it doesnt smell as bad as the Off and its doesnt leave my skin feeling skicky which most of the other options seem to do.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:55 AM   #13

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We find that our screen house seems to keep a lot of bugs away. I do have to spray sometimes though. I like the powder kind. I can't stand sticky bug spray.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:54 AM   #14

Powder Bug repllenet? Now that I havent seen yet. I'll have to look for it as it sounds much better. Is there a particular brand you like?
Old 04-19-2011, 07:04 AM   #15

Registry
I think it is Cutters. I am not sure. If I find a can, I will share the name. I bought it at Home Depot. It does leave powder on the chair after you sit there, but it is not sticky.

CindyL
Old 04-19-2011, 08:47 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17 ft
Registry
Before we had a trailer, I spend a lot of time backpackng in the PNW.
DEET works, but once you put it on, everything tastes like DEET until you can get to a shower.
I found that treating my clothing and the bug net I hung under my tarp with Sawyer brand permethrin was the way to go.
It is an insecticide you spray your clothing with and let dry before your trip - insects seemed to go somewhere else when we set up camp.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #17

Trailer: 76 Honey Neonex Boler
Registry
What I've found effective at a campsite are the laterns made by OFF. They are table top huricane laterns with a small candle that heats an insecticide strip that slips in a slot at the top of the chimney. I beleive they have a 15 foot radius and lasts about 4 hours. Put a couple of these on the picnic table or beside your chairs around the campfire and you can stay out all night. PowerPad Outdoor Lanterns and Lamps for repelling mosquitos | OFF!® Insect Repellents

Therm-a-cell also makes something similar but uses batteries instead of a candle. ThermaCELL Mosquito Repellent

Karen
Karen L W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:48 AM   #18

Registry
I found what I use. It is Off, Family. It is powdery, not sticky. However, the powder does end up on the furniture, but it is still the only kind I have found yet that seems to work and that I can stand.

CindyL
Old 04-20-2011, 05:35 AM   #19

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...Before using the Listerene squirt bottle eat a nice Caesar Salad. Make your own dressing with lots of finely grated garlic and toasted garlic croutons!!! Then for sure you'll need the Listerene...but every buggy will stay away!!! WHEW!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:24 AM   #20

LOL, I'd heard that about garlic but wasnt sure if it was true. I even read where taking Garlic capsules a few days before your trip or Vitamin B is suppose to help. Didnt know if these were just Urban Legends or if there really was anything to it. You'd think with all our technology they could develop something safe and effective that's not sticky and icky. Sunscreen is bad enough but then to tell the kids they also have to add bug spray, yuck! I like the idea of lanterns for when sitting still for sure.

Cindy, thanks for looking up the type of powdery stuff you use. I googled all over and nothing came up. You'd think "Powdered Insect Repellent" would have brought up something at least. I'd rather brush powder off furniture than have a greasy mess left behind from the back of the legs etc.